Hello Hawks fans, your help is requested.

Are you ok with "bandwagon" fans".

• Yes

Votes: 60 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 60 48.4%

• Total voters

Exploding

Reaction score
I guess you could call me a bandwagoner - I actually became a Hawks fan in 2006 (just missed one of the greatest years of Seahawks football!). Had season tickets since then and get to deal with my friends complaining about how its too hard to get season tickets now. I always figured its just less fun to be less invested in your team. Last year's win over Denver meant so much more having been to every home game that Mora coached us for. Seeing us defy all odds and beat the Packers meant so much more for having suffered through the years where it felt like the Seahawks were the type of finesse team that would give up comebacks like that. And you know what - I bet the original Seahawks fans enjoyed these wins even more because of how long they've been fans!

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Complaining about bandwagon fans is dumb.

Bandwagon fans have no effect on you unless you let them. It isn't like there is a pool of money that gets divided amongst fans when the team wins and your share is now smaller. There isn't some finite amount of total fan joy for winning.

None of their enjoyment of a win takes away from your joy unless you let it. If you let bandwagon fans decrease your enjoyment of the team winning, that is a problem with you, not with the bandwagoners.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
downundermike":2plec256 said:
Reading the bulk of replies, I did not realize I was so far in the minority on this issue. I guess I will be a **** when I call out Eagles band wagon fans in the future.

I really did think that true life long fans hated the band wagon fans more than this. I guess I am wrong.

I guess if they displayed as much class as life long fans it would be a non issue.

The only place where I see negative things said against "band wagons" is on enemy fan forums. Just their juvenile way of discrediting Seahawk fans posting comments on their page. I remember reading one guy writing that “anyone in the Clink not wearing an original faded 1970s era Seahawk Jersey is not a real fan, and should be ignored”. Really? Really?

slargent4ever

Reaction score
I don't give a rip. I prefer the term casual fan. I'm diehard when it comes to the Hawks. Far more casual with the Mariners. But I've never jumped teams, just don't get so interested in the baseball season when they suck.

djb28

Reaction score
I live in an area where I have seen maybe 6 Seahawks fans in my entire 40 years. I have seen 6 in the past two months. It is a little annoying to me, Because I am suppose to be the only Hawk fan in my town! just kidding. But hey,they are kids, what are you gonna do?. They will be on to the next thing the first losing season!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
downundermike":1ctoscgl said:
BraveHeartFan":1ctoscgl said:
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

It figures I find a Cowboy fan on the Hawks message board...............
Why not?, he's already stated that he's a life long Cowboys fan that has respect for another teams get after it mantra.
Also, aren't you an Eagles fan on a Seahawks fan board?
As to the survey?, I have impeccable character, and a moral superiority complex, so I have come to realize that there are other fans who can't possibly love the Seahawks as much as I do, so I say to the ones who have just boarded the bandwagon, I'm riding shotgun. :)

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2lszy0vn said:
downundermike":2lszy0vn said:
BraveHeartFan":2lszy0vn said:
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

It figures I find a Cowboy fan on the Hawks message board...............
Why not?, he's already stated that he's a life long Cowboys fan that has respect for another teams get after it mantra.
Also, aren't you an Eagles fan on a Seahawks fan board?
As to the survey?, I have impeccable character, and a moral superiority complex, so I have come to realize that there are other fans who can't possibly love the Seahawks as much as I do, so I say to the ones who have just boarded the bandwagon, I'm riding shotgun. :)

Yes, I am an Eagles fan on a Seahawks board, as I stated I came here to get the fans opinion on the issue. As I have stated several times after reading your responses I appear to be in the small minority on this issue. Did not come to turn it into anything other than what it is, the opinion of the fans of the Hawks.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Exploding":3m1zo2li said:
I guess you could call me a bandwagoner - I actually became a Hawks fan in 2006 (just missed one of the greatest years of Seahawks football!). !

I have been a fan since since they started, and even went to an away game in San Diego way back in 1977. I spent every Sunday watching games with my dad and getting in on his office pools during those exciting Chuck Knox years. But I will admit I fell away from watching them during the awful Holmgren years when there was a real possibility that Ken Behring would move the team to California. I came back when Paul Allen bought the team, as did many other original fans.

Phteven

Reaction score
I really appreciate the distinction between new fans and bandwagon fans. A fair weather fan can be annoying. But new fans are welcome!

daveca5150

Reaction score
It's odd, I have no problem with people who started liking the Seahawks last year. And yet I hate when a checkout clerk at Home Depot sees my UW hat and starts bragging about the Duck win over Florida State...

I wonder if jealousy might be a factor :sarcasm_off:

253hawk

Reaction score
It really depends on the person. There's the people that aren't really football fans who might latch onto the sudden success of a particular team, and then there's the ones that are already fans of the sport and just bounce around to whoever's successful so they can look cool, like they were fans all along.

What is a team's fan base supposed to do when it's winning? Stagnate? Lose fans? Come on, the only way to go is up, no matter what sport it is or what level it's played at.

andyh64000

Reaction score
You know what I am not OK with...fans of other teams trying to claim that all we have are bandwagon fans and creating stupid polls to try and reinforce that opinion.

pmedic920

Reaction score
andyh64000":s510llcx said:
You know what I am not OK with...fans of other teams trying to claim that all we have are bandwagon fans and creating stupid polls to try and reenforce that opinion.

I think he's asking if there is enough room for him.
:{)

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
andyh64000":ffjl1zpk said:
You know what I am not OK with...fans of other teams trying to claim that all we have are bandwagon fans and creating stupid polls to try and reenforce that opinion.

Let's go start a poll on a Deflate-triots site asking how the fans feel about the team being a bunch of cheaters. Just for science, you know.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Success is the only way the fan base grows so I am fine with it. Sure, some will be gone when we are no longer the juggernaut that we are now, but we will still have a bigger fan base than we used to. Once fans identify with a team, they tend to stick with them even if only peripherally.

I became a New Jersey Devils fan when Scott Gomez joined them as a rookie. I watched Gomez playing in high school so it was cool to see him in the big show. It just so happened that they won the Stanley Cup that year and I had the opportunity to hold it and get my picture with it because Scotty brought it home to Anchorage, AK. Admittedly, I am not as crazy about the Devils as I was while he was with them (the first time), but I still identify as a Devils fan, watch their games whenever I can and try to catch games when they travel into areas that I travel to. So you could say that I was a bandwagon fan, but they are still my team many unsuccessful years later.

There are really only two things that annoy me about the new fans.

One, I feel a lot more self conscious when I throw on some of my Seahawks swag and go out in public, even when it is my old, faded and worn out hat. It probably shouldn't bother me, but it kind of does. I'm sure people look at it and think, "hmmm, must be a bandwagon fan." I know when I see Hawk logos around here, I think things like that. A pretty safe assumption where I live.

Also, I finished my training in 2011 and moved away from Seattle. My plan was to pay off the move, pay off a couple of higher interest (4-5% ish) loans that I took out in school etc, then buy season tickets when I stabilized financially. I wasn't really paying attention to the fact that tix were becoming scarce and by the time I was ready to buy they were no longer available. I didn't find out about CSLs until well into last season after they became overpriced. My own fault really, but it wouldn't be an issue without the success and the new fans (I'll take the tradeoff.) So, I will have to wait patiently for mediocrity to return so that I can finally get season tix.

Neither are really a big deal. I can get over myself and I can only make it to a few games a year anyway, but they are both a little annoying.

- bsd RPA

ManBunts

Reaction score
What defines bandwagon? Where is there a difference between a new fan and a bandwagon? I'm from California. As a kid and into my teens, I liked the Niners. Rice/Montana/Craig, Rice/Young/Watters, they were great guys, great to cheer for. But as I got older, I didn't like where the team went or the players, and lost touch. I went to school in southern Cali, so at any time I could've cheered for the Raider, Niners, or Chargers, but didn't really care for any of them. I just liked football for football. I moved up here 8 years ago and got into the Hawks. The energy was great, and I'd never lived in a city with its own team. So, am I bandwagon? I think not. But there are also some pretty hardline fans here (everywhere I'm sure) that seem to think if you can't trace your lineage of fandom back 2 or 3 generations of a team, that you're bandwagon. Personally I think that's a great way to NOT get fans to come over.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29ncvzbs said:
No joke though.. there is a guy on my Facebook that is a "Seahawks and Patriots fan" .. he was also a Miami Heat fan, pulling for the Giants in the WS, etc. THOSE are the guys that are the most annoying fans on Earth.

This is the only kind of fan that I hate.

On a related notel, I don't understand how people develop strong emotional attachments for teams that are based hundreds or thousands of miles away (you see this a lot with soccer fans) but I don't begrudge anyone for it. I just don't understand it.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
If you've lived in Spokane since before Pete got here, I can understand why you hate "bandwagon" fans. This town barely cared about the Seahawks, even back during the SBXL run. Nothing like living in the same state where an NFL team exists (and the only NFL team for 1500 miles) and see more Donkos and Raiders gear than the home squad.

Now all the local TV broadcasts lead with some Seahawk story. I see blue everywhere. If I wasn't a fan I'd be disgusted...but all I have to say is "It's about freakin' time"! Finally I don't feel like an outcast!

Latest posts