Great Game! From a Niners Fan

JoeBart324

Reaction score
Hi .Net! I'm not a frequent poster here but do peruse the forums now and then. More for another perspective than anything else.

In any case, I think if we can put fandom aside best we can last night's game was absolutely amazing! Just from an NFL fan perspective. There were turnovers, there were great plays, drama ensued in OT and all that. Frankly if this was the Super Bowl I think most NFL fans would have walked away happy!

I do think these teams are more evenly matched than the media will talk about. I haven't watched anything to this point (too busy dealing with a 1 year old and a job!) but I imagine it will be something like Russel Wilson is on fire and carried the team. That is probably true to some degree, but the narrative likely would have gone the other way if the Niners won. It would have been Jimmy Garropolo rises in spite of turnovers. Such is the media narrative, they will make the story lines they want.

The real story should be Jadaveon Clowney. I'm not sure if the Niners tackles were rusty in coming back from injury of if the game plan was poor, but he absolutely wrecked the Niners. He was on a different level last night and absolutely deserves whatever accolades should go his way. I do think the Niners overall had a decent game plan. They were plagued by unfortunate drops and a kicker who melted in the biggest moment. Of course, I also have to recognize the Niners were also bailed out by the complete inability of Seattle's defense to intercept multiple passes that were mailed directly to the defender. That is the NFL for us though.

Overall this was about as even a game as I think I've seen in a long while. Truly was the last team to have the ball that won. The Niners had their opportunity. Seattle had their opportunity. Whether the Niners won or Seattle won I do not think I would go as far as to say the better team won. I genuinely feel we could have watched 50 games of these two and the win percentage may well have fallen at 50/50. Super fun game and glad the rivalry is back! The NFL is better when these two teams are playing well!

sutz

Reaction score
Flat out street fight, for sure.

Clowney has had a slow start for the year. Really woke up last night and def wins the game ball IMNSHO.

samwize77

Reaction score
Thanks for a levelheaded post! Nice to see this..

As I understand it from another poster here...they changed the d-scheme and made JC the Leo.....if so...then that's exactly where he belongs judging by his performance. Wow! What a wrecking ball huh?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I wouldn't call this a "great" game by any stretch, too many mistakes, fumbles, interceptions, penalties, etc.

But it certainly was one of the most hard fought, exhausting and draining games I've ever seen played, by two teams that REALLY wanted it........and that was palpable.

Niners D is for real, but I'd be worried if I was a Niners fan about Garropolo, he made a couple nice throws, and there were some bad drops by Niner receivers..........but Jimmy makes horrible decisions and throws under pressure, and he shrunk more than once when the pressure got to him.

I'd be REALLY nervous going forward with him as my QB.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":45wk31wa said:
I wouldn't call this a "great" game by any stretch, too many mistakes, fumbles, interceptions, penalties, etc.

But it certainly was one of the most hard fought, exhausting and draining games I've ever seen played, by two teams that REALLY wanted it........and that was palpable.

Niners D is for real, but I'd be worried if I was a Niners fan about Garropolo, he made a couple nice throws, and there were some bad drops by Niner receivers..........but Jimmy makes horrible decisions and throws under pressure, and he shrunk more than once when the pressure got to him.

I'd be REALLY nervous going forward with him as my QB.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. It was only a "great" game per its implications. And, I have pretty much always thought that about Garropolo but players do evolve sometimes. ESPN announcers are also following this train of thought this morning.

We will have to beat the 49ers and Rams again to win this division.

Pretty tall order.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It is so nice to have the Niners relevant again. Let's keep those other two NFCW teams in the trash bin, in the basement, where they belong.

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":ag6fjud7 said:
It is so nice to have the Niners relevant again. Let's keep those other two NFCW teams in the trash bin, in the basement, where they belong.

Nice to see you back on here for a bit, Doc!
If you get a chance, maybe give us the lowdown on Lockett's leg contusion. Heck, maybe you already have in that thread.

This whole game reminded me of the Rock-em-Sock-em Robots of my youth.
[youtube]j-9n2ImgJQ0[/youtube]

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JoeBart324":3bmtxcgy said:
Hi .Net! I'm not a frequent poster here but do peruse the forums now and then. More for another perspective than anything else.

In any case, I think if we can put fandom aside best we can last night's game was absolutely amazing! Just from an NFL fan perspective. There were turnovers, there were great plays, drama ensued in OT and all that. Frankly if this was the Super Bowl I think most NFL fans would have walked away happy!

I do think these teams are more evenly matched than the media will talk about. I haven't watched anything to this point (too busy dealing with a 1 year old and a job!) but I imagine it will be something like Russel Wilson is on fire and carried the team. That is probably true to some degree, but the narrative likely would have gone the other way if the Niners won. It would have been Jimmy Garropolo rises in spite of turnovers. Such is the media narrative, they will make the story lines they want.

The real story should be Jadaveon Clowney. I'm not sure if the Niners tackles were rusty in coming back from injury of if the game plan was poor, but he absolutely wrecked the Niners. He was on a different level last night and absolutely deserves whatever accolades should go his way. I do think the Niners overall had a decent game plan. They were plagued by unfortunate drops and a kicker who melted in the biggest moment. Of course, I also have to recognize the Niners were also bailed out by the complete inability of Seattle's defense to intercept multiple passes that were mailed directly to the defender. That is the NFL for us though.

Overall this was about as even a game as I think I've seen in a long while. Truly was the last team to have the ball that won. The Niners had their opportunity. Seattle had their opportunity. Whether the Niners won or Seattle won I do not think I would go as far as to say the better team won. I genuinely feel we could have watched 50 games of these two and the win percentage may well have fallen at 50/50. Super fun game and glad the rivalry is back! The NFL is better when these two teams are playing well!

Thanks for a great post. I felt something missing...not sure what but missing. Maybe it was the pizza that I tried to order. oh well. The Division is back to what the poster said above..rockemSockemRobots. I remember them from my youth too. Lordy I am old. and feeling every minute of it now. Peace and good luck to the Divison in the playoffs.

SF80

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thx Joe, as much as I dislike the Niners, they are one hell of a team. I think the Hawks/Niners rivalry is back and will stay for a while. Great game.

Chawker

Reaction score
Good post Joe. The 49er fans have no reason to hang their heads over this loss. It was a fight to the finish, and a dam good fight it was. It reminds me of the Fraizer vs Ali fight, where Fraizer could not answers the bell for round 15. Ali got up and fell to the floor, later stating that was the closes he'd come to dieing in the ring.

IF you guys kicker made that field goal, way differant story. Its a long season and that was just one game. Our paths will cross agains soon.

P.S. You guys can cry after we spank you for the second time at home. :rumble:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1vcb0urt said:
bigskydoc":1vcb0urt said:

Nice to see you back on here for a bit, Doc!
If you get a chance, maybe give us the lowdown on Lockett's leg contusion. Heck, maybe you already have in that thread.

This whole game reminded me of the Rock-em-Sock-em Robots of my youth.
[youtube]j-9n2ImgJQ0[/youtube]
I think Doc stopped doing it after certain posters were trying to
question his opinion/medical facts ect..It's a shame really but it has
driven certain people away in different areas of board.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31gp30cj said:
Thx Joe, as much as I dislike the Niners, they are one hell of a team. I think the Hawks/Niners rivalry is back and will stay for a while. Great game.
Agreed for a change. This division needs a new rivalry . The Hawks vs SF rivalry makes this so much more fun again..like the last one. IMO

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it's been a lonnnnng time. Hawks have won 10 of the last 11 in the series. Something that seems to be ignored.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see the rivalry between us and the Niners re-ignited. I sure enjoyed the hell out of drinking my Niner friend's cheap California wine under the motto "to the victor go the spoils" after we beat them in the NFCCG back in 2013.

Latest posts