Geno Smith

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the XFL is targeting both Lynch and Smith as guys they would try to sign whomever doesn't make the roster, it has been published.

I could see us being creative with IR or the roster if were not sure of one of them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":29y6j50q said:
IndyHawk":29y6j50q said:
Lynch is 6:7 with wheels and can see over the line..
If his head is right he wins the job..

The 6.7 argument goes directly against what we say about height for QB'S when we talk about Russ. You don't necessarily see over OL but rather through lanes.
Think of Peyton 6:6 just stood there after 2 steps back
firing a quick slant in the middle..Yes he could see over the
line to do it..Same with Marino and Brady.
Height allows those types of throws to happen.It allows you
also to see the field better to read a defense.
Anyway we are talking about backup QB not about short RW
and what he has to do differently. :177692:

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":2oxrkmp2 said:
The 6.7 argument goes directly against what we say about height for QB'S when we talk about Russ. You don't necessarily see over OL but rather through lanes.

IndyHawk":2oxrkmp2 said:
Think of Peyton 6:6 just stood there after 2 steps back
firing a quick slant in the middle..Yes he could see over the
line to do it..Same with Marino and Brady.
Height allows those types of throws to happen.It allows you
also to see the field better to read a defense.
Anyway we are talking about backup QB not about short RW
and what he has to do differently. :177692:

I'm with IndyHawk on this one. Being a sub 6' QB in the NFL is a big disadvantage that Russell has been able to overcome by excelling in other QB attributes. Just because he's been successful at it doesn't mean that the height attribute is completely irrelevant.

What we are looking for is a backup QB. Given that there are no Russell clones available and all other things being equal, a taller QB will have an advantage over a shorter one.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RiverDog":1vb9fdsi said:
Sarlacc83":1vb9fdsi said:
I've been watching the game with 'clear' eyes, and I don't think Geno is nearly as bad as advertised. In the 2nd quarter, all of his completions pretty much get called back due to penalties. Overall, OL play isn't great for him, and while he wasn't the second-coming, he's also fighting for a backup spot. You're going to see some flaws.

(The throw to DK should have been a completion for a TD, and that wasn't just Geno overthrowing it.)

I think that Pete will value Geno's practicing over his gameplay due to the importance to our defense. Obviously Lynch could easily make it a closer competition if he keeps performing in game, but I'm still kind of expecting Geno to be the one in the 53. Especially when it's clear that Kasen Williams still got the axe after performing so preseason games don't strike me as the end all be all.

All of what you said is true, but there was just something intangible about how Geno played vs. how Lynch played. Lynch was much more decisive and looked more comfortable in that offense. Even if you throw away all the stats, the eye test favors Lynch and I can't help but think that the coaches are seeing the same things that many of us in here are.

I heard Pete say that Geno might be ready to play in Game 2, but it might not be in Geno's best interest to play if he's at all hindered. If he aggravates the surgical site, it's game over for him.

I'm no expert, but what I saw was a night and day difference in the receiver separation between the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Denver's 2nd string looked closer to an NFL team while the 3rd & 4th stringers looked like Oregon State out there. I also would like to see the coaches view to look at how deep the receivers were running routes in the 1st and 2nd. It's hard to judge that from a TV view, but it's almost certain that the coaches were evaluating WRs by whether or not they won their routes, and, if they were using longer developing plays, how they found the open spots in zone. If the receivers weren't doing that, then no amount of "intangibles" from Geno is going to do it for them.

I'm fine with either guy, really, as neither one is going to be Nick Foles and take us to the Super Bowl should Russ go down.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Did Geno Smith remind anyone else of Tarvaris Jackson the way he threw the ball with both feet in the air? Those jump balls were unnerving to watch and unpredictable in outcome.

seabowl":2tv87tpt said:
IndyHawk":2tv87tpt said:
Lynch is 6:7 with wheels and can see over the line..
If his head is right he wins the job..
Well, that's the way Russ does it because he can't see over the line.

AVL

Reaction score
Remember that preseason where T Jack has the best quarterback rating?

toffee

Reaction score
AVL":1rtjrm6z said:

T Jack’s hall of fame career was torpedoed by Pete’s decision to start Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Reaction score
toffee":2me9a71j said:
AVL":2me9a71j said:

Not to be picky, but Tavaris Jackson wasn't even on our team in Russell's rookie year of 2012. We had traded him to Buffalo. Pete's QB decision was between Matt Flynn and Russell.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
RiverDog":1wtjwoee said:
toffee":1wtjwoee said:
AVL":1wtjwoee said:

Not to be picky, but Tavaris Jackson wasn't even on our team in Russell's rookie year of 2012. We had traded him to Buffalo. Pete's QB decision was between Matt Flynn and Russell.

I believe Toffee was exercising sarcasm

McGruff

Reaction score
RiverDog":2wb3hm9t said:
toffee":2wb3hm9t said:
AVL":2wb3hm9t said:

IIRC Jackson was traded during preseason. He was part of the competition through the offseason and TC.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch is my choice. The poor guy got picked in the 1st by John Elway who knows nothing about developing players.

Paxton went from the "Memphis Belle" offense to the NFL and was expected to be great. He should have gotten more support and less pressure. Andy Reid would have made PLynch an MVP.

Nobody develops players like Pete Carroll, and that's why i think Paxton will do well here. Plus, he has already said that he is watching Russell Wilson intently and learning from him.

I don't see the same passion from Geno.

RiverDog

Reaction score
McGruff":3pg2zmpy said:
RiverDog":3pg2zmpy said:
toffee":3pg2zmpy said:
AVL":3pg2zmpy said:

IIRC Jackson was traded during preseason. He was part of the competition through the offseason and TC.

Good point, I had forgotten about that, although if I recall, TJack wasn't getting hardly any playing time in the preseason. It was all about Flynn and Wilson.

You guys remember how in December of the previous season an overly exuberant Pete Carroll came on national TV after a late season win and declared that we were going to "build around Tavaris"?

olyfan63

Reaction score
PLynch seems to be taking advantage of his extra practice reps. Geno is screwed. Losing this competition.
From: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... nd-more-2/

"Paxton Lynch also had another productive day. On back-to-back throws in an early red-zone period, he threw touchdown passes to Jazz Ferguson (15 yards) and Wes Saxton (7 yards), and later hit Will Dissly and Nick Vannett for touchdown throws going the other way."

Seymour

Reaction score
olyfan63":2j4vq1lb said:
PLynch seems to be taking advantage of his extra practice reps. Geno is screwed. Losing this competition.
From: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... nd-more-2/

"Paxton Lynch also had another productive day. On back-to-back throws in an early red-zone period, he threw touchdown passes to Jazz Ferguson (15 yards) and Wes Saxton (7 yards), and later hit Will Dissly and Nick Vannett for touchdown throws going the other way."

That is great news IMO! I would not have guessed this would happen myself, but I like that the competition is bringing out a clear front runner none the less. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
I like the fact Jazz is scoring TD's, almost every report has this kid doing something positive.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":923iwkyp said:
I like the fact Jazz is scoring TD's, almost every report has this kid doing something positive.

I agree andJazz isn't some aging veteran WR that lit it up In Preseason. He's a rookie with measurables you can't teach and very good hands and body control posting up DB's and high pointing the ball. He's also extremely cap friendly they would be fools to think he would clear waivers they have to find a spot for him on the roster.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno practiced yesterday and it sounds like it'll be a game time decision as to whether or not he plays:

While Smith is back to full practice, coach Pete Carroll is still uncertain whether or not Smith will be available to face the Vikings Sunday night in Minnesota.

"I don't know," Carroll said after Friday's session. "Geno did get back on the practice field today. This is a remarkable recovery already, just to get back on the field today. We'll see. We are going to do one day at a time, see where he is."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ba ... ar-AAFUzbL

Latest posts