Geno Smith - Goalposts Can't Move Any Longer

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno is playing extremely well. I never expected him to step up, but after reading about his experience in the NFL, it's no wonder why he failed earlier. When he came into the NFL he lacked the maturity needed to be successful. In the pre-draft, he rubbed teams the wrong way with his interviews. In one case he had his cellphone out while being interviewed. Geno also came off as lazy to execs.

I think that Geno just grew up and now he is able to harness his true potential. The guy we see on the Hawks is way different than the guy that was on the Jets. I don't think he's ever going to go back to being the same guy we saw on the Jets. His skillset is far and above that now. In fact, I think he has a deeper understanding of the game than Wilson does.

What will he do in the future? I don't know. I still would like to see him put in a situation where he has to win a game winning drive. He seems to put too much on his shoulders during crunch times and tends to play hero ball. I would like him exposed to more of these situations. If he can come up big during those times, I would be down to sign him to a long term contract.

The stuff we're seeing from Geno is high level football. The reads he's making and the throws he's making are the types of big time throws you'd see from Josh Allen and Mahommes. Even me, the .net cynic has to admit, It's not just a fluke.

Torc

Reaction score
All of that is totally true and fair. On the flip side of that, we also got evidence of "same old immature Geno" earlier this year when he had a DUI and was caught going 90 in a 60 zone. He's convincing me on the field so far this year, he just has a lot of first impressions to overcome.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
All of that is totally true and fair. On the flip side of that, we also got evidence of "same old immature Geno" earlier this year when he had a DUI and was caught going 90 in a 60 zone. He's convincing me on the field so far this year, he just has a lot of first impressions to overcome.
True, but he also has clearly been putting the work in with his craft and his teammates seem to rally behind him and respect him. I saw some old footage of him in college and on the Jets, he doesn't even look like the same player. His footwork was erratic and all over the place and he was frantic. Geno looked like a hot mess. Right now he has textbook footwork and mechanics. His pocket presence before was non-existent, now he's delivering dimes while taking huge shots. He has a good sense of when to climb the pocket and where to move.

Geno is also making decisions a lot quicker. There is no hesitation when he takes off and runs or throws. That is something that was missing in his game.

He's evolved his game a lot from his Jet days. Even analyst are noticing how solid his mechanics and footwork are right now. Geno Smith might come crashing back to earth yet, but it's never going to be to the same as it was on the Jets. I think at the very least he's going to be a mid tier starter caliber of player.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I mean, a lot of them have just kinda stopped posting as much. Chukar, Titus, Jamescasey, the guy who called Geno "old dumb face," etc
Yea...high % of posts on this discord, even if the posting population has diminished. Life is too short to not enjoy a season off to better expectations than most had and to see a budding QB show the potential to compete at a high level.

Last edited:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I said before game 1 that it was going to be a long year if Geno was our starter all year.

It might still be a long year but that would be more on our defense then on Geno, who's been just fine. That being said, I'd like to see what Drew Lock could do in this Shane Waldron offense before committing long term to Geno.

I'm fairly confident in saying that the offense's failure last year wasn't on Waldron after seeing Geno flourish in it this season.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
A lot of people said Zona was bad D and bad O.

I said that their D was decent/average. But we already saw how Geno does against good D, he got killed in that SF game. The next 3 games will show how well Geno is, @ Chargers, v Giants @ Zona.
80% completion rate is getting killed?

My goodness.....

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Most people do not take well to being wrong. I try very hard not to be one of those people. I hate being wrong. It is the worst! If I am unwilling to modify my positions when there is a proven need, I am still wrong and continue to be wrong. If I have an open mind, I get the chance to be right going forward.

I believed Geno to be nothing more than a mid to low level backup based on his years of doing nothing in the league, poor play in pre season, and marginal play while filling in. Geno, through his play this season has forced me to reevaluate my position. While I need to see more before anointing him franchise savior, he makes good decisions, moves around well, and throws a really nice ball.

Where is "franchise savior" being used as a measuring stick?

That seems like a strawman

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
No need to be rude

It was an honest observation

Nobody is claiming he is a franchise savior are they? I don't even think that's been on the table for even his staunchest defenders.

Isn’t it rude to call everything you disagree with a straw man argument? Isn’t calling what I said a straw man a straw man by his incorrect definition?

Did I ever say that anyone else has labeled him a franchise savior, or did I say that I need to see more before labeling him such?

I would really, really like to be able to call him that.

I stand by my go away statement. If it was rude, it was the least rude thing I could say.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Isn’t it rude to call everything you disagree with a straw man argument? Isn’t calling what I said a straw man a straw man by his incorrect definition?

Did I ever say that anyone else has labeled him a franchise savior, or did I say that I need to see more before labeling him such?

I would really, really like to be able to call him that.

I stand by my go away statement. If it was rude, it was the least rude thing I could say.

Well by stating that you aren't ready to call him a franchise savior yet, it seemed the implication was that others were

If that was interpreted incorrectly on my part, my apologies

Take care