Geno Geno Geno..!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here's how PFF has the starting quarterbacks ranked going into the season. It's completely subjective as they're tossing in the rookie quarterbacks who have yet to throw a pass in the NFL:

1. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 2. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS 3. JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS 4. JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 5. AARON RODGERS, NEW YORK JETS 6. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS 7. JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
8. TREVOR LAWRENCE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 9. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS 10. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS 11. TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS 12. MATTHEW STAFFORD, LOS ANGELES RAMS 13. DESHAUN WATSON, CLEVELAND BROWNS 14. DEREK CARR, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS 15. GENO SMITH, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 16. JARED GOFF, DETROIT LIONS 17. DANIEL JONES, NEW YORK GIANTS 18. JUSTIN FIELDS, CHICAGO BEARS 19. RYAN TANNEHILL, TENNESSEE TITANS 20. RUSSELL WILSON, DENVER BRONCOS 21. MAC JONES, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 22. KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH STEELERS 23. BROCK PURDY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 24. JIMMY GAROPPOLO, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS 25. BRYCE YOUNG, CAROLINA PANTHERS 26. JORDAN LOVE, GREEN BAY PACKERS 27. SAM HOWELL, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS 28. BAKER MAYFIELD, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS 29. COLT MCCOY, ARIZONA CARDINALS 30. C.J. STROUD, HOUSTON TEXANS 31. DESMOND RIDDER, ATLANTA FALCONS 32. ANTHONY RICHARDSON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS.

IMO Geno might be ranked just a tad too low. I'd have him ranked above Watson, Carr, and Prescott, perhaps Cousins as well. But I'd put Goff ahead of him.
Agreed. Furthermore, they have Lamar Jackson way too high....he doesn't even have a season where he topped 4000 yards passing (his highest was a little over 3100 yards). That's not a worthy top 10 QB in my book. Plus, the Ravens defense has always been solid and carried the team. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00.htm

RiverDog

Reaction score
Agreed. Furthermore, they have Lamar Jackson way too high....he doesn't even have a season where he topped 4000 yards passing in a season (his highest was a little over 3100 yards). That's not a worthy top 10 QB in my book. Plus, the Ravens defense has always been solid and carried the team. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00.htm
I hear ya about Lamar Jackson. I don't get the love for him, either. He had a great season when he won the MVP, but he's been a non-factor in the playoffs, not to mention the big stink he made about his contract, demanding to be traded, etc. Doesn't sound real team orientated. I've said some negative things about Geno, but I really liked the way he approached his contract vs. Jackson.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yep, I have Geno Top 10. Probably at 10.
Yeah, #10 is reasonable. I wouldn't go much higher, though, mainly due to how he tailed off at the end of the season. It's a ranking based on expectations, and the distinct possibility exists that what we saw out of Geno at the end of last year will carry through to this season.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Yet, we weren't even the worst run defense in the league, by more than three hundred yards allowed. Even if you go by rushing yard average, we were a half yard better per carry than the worst in the league. We also gave up ten less rushing touchdowns than the worst in the league.
that is a really low bar. This team was unwatchable at times last year. Zero toughness and looked lost on defense a lot.

Fade

Reaction score
It's a fair rating if you're looking at it from the outside, and have to follow 32 teams.

For a good chunk of the season Geno played like a top 5 QB, though. There was that stretch where they had some injuries, the running game collapsed, and the defense was bad, and he started pressing and forcing the ball.

I think he learned from that and will be even better this season.

My top 10 QBs as of now, factoring in age, and going forward ARE:

1. Mahomes - have to give him credit, he took another step, and stopped throwing the ball to the other team, (has lead the league in dropped INTs multiple years.)
Could've easily lead the league those years if it wasn't for good fortune. Last year though, he saw the field much better, lost Tyreke Hill, and it didn't faze him.

2. Joe Burrow. Loves to hold the ball, but has icewater in his veins. Super Clutch. My type of QB.

3. Josh Allen. Has to cut down on the turnover worthy plays or I'm dropping him severely next year.

4. Justin Herbert. Big bomb thrower, has all of the tools you look for in the position. Needs to start winning though, or he could turn into the next Matt Stafford in DET. type of career.

5. Jalen Hurts. Probably the best true dual threat going in the league right now.
He offers more than Lamar as a passer, and who knows how much longer Lamar can do it as a runner, anyway?

6. Trevor Lawrence - Jags nearly wrecked him in 1 year, but thankfully for Trevor they brought in Doug Pederson to get him back on track. He's on the brink of becoming great.

7. Geno Smith - Dude played like a BAMFr the majority of the season and is still only 32 years old.

8. Tua Tagovailoa - there's a lot of extra support here, from the scheme, to the weapons. But you still have to pull the trigger, and when Tua did he was excellent. Major longterm concerns though, with his concussion history.

9. Lamar Jackson - I'm struggling to rank him, due to recent injuries, and am not sure what kind of runner he's going to be going forward. But, man he has to have a monster year and silence the doubters. Or a tumbling he will go.

10. Aaron Rodgers?! Yeah, he's old, and now plays for the Jets. But he's still an all-time great, and the other guys not in the top 10, still need to show more, or bounce back from down seasons. And I refuse to put Kirk Cousins in my top 10 :)

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's a fair rating if you're looking at it from the outside, and have to follow 32 teams.

For a good chunk of the season Geno played like a top 5 QB, though. There was that stretch where they had some injuries, the running game collapsed, and the defense was bad, and he started pressing and forcing the ball.

1. Mahomes - have to give him credit, he took another step, and stopped throwing the ball to the other team, (has lead the league in dropped INTs multiple years.)
Could've easily lead the league those years if it wasn't for good fortune. Last year though, he saw the field much better, lost Tyreke Hill, and it didn't faze him.

2. Joe Burrow. Loves to hold the ball, but has icewater in his veins. Super Clutch. My type of QB.

3. Josh Allen. Has to cut down on the turnover worthy plays or I'm dropping him severely next year.

4. Justin Herbert. Big bomb thrower, has all of the tools you look for in the position. Needs to start winning though, or he could turn into the next Matt Stafford in DET. type of career.

5. Jalen Hurts. Probably the best true dual threat going in the league right now.
He offers more than Lamar as a passer, and who knows how much longer Lamar can do it as a runner, anyway?

6. Trevor Lawrence - Jags nearly wrecked him in 1 year, but thankfully for Trevor they brought in Doug Pederson to get him back on track. He's on the brink of becoming great.

7. Geno Smith - Dude played like a BAMFr the majority of the season and is still only 32 years old.

8. Tua Tagovailoa - there's a lot of extra support here, from the scheme, to the weapons. But you still have to pull the trigger, and when Tua did he was excellent. Major longterm concerns though, with his concussion history.

9. Lamar Jackson - I'm struggling to rank him, due to recent injuries, and am not sure what kind of runner he's going to be going forward. But, man he has to have a monster year and silence the doubters. Or a tumbling he will go.

10. Aaron Rodgers?! Yeah, he's old, and now plays for the Jets. But he's still an all-time great, and the other guys not in the top 10, still need to show more, or bounce back from down seasons. And I refuse to put Kirk Cousins in my top 10 :)
Although I think you're Seahawk bias is showing just a tad by ranking Geno at #7, that's a pretty good ranking and very close to how I'd rank them. I also think that Jared Goff and the Lions might surprise a few people this season.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
We really saw flashes of brilliance from Geno every time he's started for us. Check out his first game starting when Russel had his first serious injury. Remember this is with only a few weeks taking reps with the first team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
One of the areas that needs improvement is the Seahawk redzone offense. I didn't realize how mediocre Geno's numbers were inside the 20. He had 53.9% comp pct inside the redzone. Those numbers got slightly worse when you look at them inside the 10.

It's a considerable dropoff when you consider what his completion percentage was up to that point. Besides a tighter windows to throw in, I think playcalling became more conservative there. Geno was posting record numbers for comp pct everywhere else. For comparision, Russell Wilson was not much better in 2021 as his comp pct was 55.6%. However in 2020, RW posted a comp pct of 69.3%. As a result, I'm thinking this has to do with Waldron's playcalls rather than QB play.

keasley45

Reaction score
One of the areas that needs improvement is the Seahawk redzone offense. I didn't realize how mediocre Geno's numbers were inside the 20. He had 53.9% comp pct inside the redzone. Those numbers got slightly worse when you look at them inside the 10.

It's a considerable dropoff when you consider what his completion percentage was up to that point. Besides a tighter windows to throw in, I think playcalling became more conservative there. Geno was posting record numbers for comp pct everywhere else. For comparision, Russell Wilson was not much better in 2021 as his comp pct was 55.6%. However in 2020, RW posted a comp pct of 69.3%. As a result, I'm thinking this has to do with Waldron's playcalls rather than QB play.
Agree 100

A functioning screen game would do wonders for our redzone, as would a functioning D Eskridge type of wr.

We pose little threat to defenses in terms of stretching them in short yardage / redzone passing situations. It's a set of plays we've taken out of the arsenal, which makes everything else we want to do that much more difficult.

Having a bonafide pass catching RB, a healthy speed wr, plus a dynamic slot wr threat SHOULD increase productivity everywhere, but especially in the redzone.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I compare Geno to Prescott (ranked #10 SI). Dak is about 8 points below Geno in pff score even though he is on a better team. Either Geno is underrated, Prescott is overrated, or both.
Prescott is overrated. I think Geno is solid with good support. He could easily be another Rich Gannon. It's not like Gannon was a monster talent, and he had a few great seasons in his later career.

toffee

Reaction score

If one would to define 'elite' as top 4, our Geno's close but no cigar yet. That being said, he is really close, with our improved supporting cast, I am hoping that he could move into that category.

RiverDog

Reaction score

But on the other hand, Geno didn't throw any red zone interceptions. Josh Allen threw 5.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Do you guys agree with this youtuber?

Blah blah blah, 15 minutes of what could be said in a minute or less...

Tried to skim, found him painful to listen to. I think Geno will be good, and I don't make videos, but I'd bet I could make a lot more entertaining video way of saying it than that guy did, if I had a mind to.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Geno will be good this year but the year depends on his supporting cast. I think the idea that Geno isn't the guy who can "carry a team" is just selling Geno short on something not proven. I think he can be that guy. Thing is though, being "that guy" only gets NFL teams so far.

Favre, Rodgers, both elite, 2 superb owls between them. Brees, one Superb Owl, even Brady (with the Bucs) just the one. Great QBs get teams to the playoffs, but it takes a great team to win it all, no matter how great the QB.

Personally I think there's no reason Geno can't play at an "elite" level.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have never seen one guy carry a team ever in Football, I have seen a leader that can rally a team and get them playing above their skill set time and time again because they believe in him.

From what I have read Geno has all that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
But on the other hand, Geno didn't throw any red zone interceptions. Josh Allen threw 5.
That's cause he was busy fumbling instead. Let's not pretend that because Geno hasn’t thrown INT that he doesn't turnover the ball in the redzone. I hope he improves in that area too.

Latest posts