Geno Geno Geno..!!

Hawkmode

Reaction score
We still don't really know what we have in Geno. Overall, it was a solid performance last year that still left us with a few questions. The end of the season was a little troubling, but it wasn't like he fell of a cliff. Pure speculation, but I think he just hit a wall, playing a whole season for the first time in a loooong time.

But I also think that the fact that 2022 was Geno's first year playing as a starter all season since 2014 gives us hope. In many ways, he's like a rookie who got the chance to learn a lot from playing the whole season last year. He gets to return this year as the annointed starter, having experience in the same system with the same coaches and players, no key losses and a few upgrades. To me, that's a formula for success and improvement.
Nice analysis. Geno thrives in a spread offense and has tamped down on his gun slinger arm talent. Our draft additions are even more QB friendly support to make full use of Shane Waldron's imaginative play calling.

chris98251

Reaction score
Geno has nothing to lose anymore, he doesn't have a New York media attacking him, he has a complete team around him, especially if the defense bounces back. He bet on himself with his contract, only thing I would worry about is if he pushes himself too hard. He has a physical age and a much younger playing age as far as hits taken.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Geno has nothing to lose anymore, he doesn't have a New York media attacking him, he has a complete team around him, especially if the defense bounces back. He bet on himself with his contract, only thing I would worry about is if he pushes himself too hard. He has a physical age and a much younger playing age as far as hits taken.
Good analysis on the "bet on himself" bit. Our front office doesn't seem to mind enhancing the likelihood of Geno "triggering" performance based bonuses by the offensive additions made. Evan Brown offers center stability/competition to either emerge as the starter or became a valuable C/G "next man up" guy.

Our latest draft gave Geno some real help in meeting his goals...JSN and Char/McIntosh offer new offensive capabilities as play makers while drafting Oluwatimi and Bradford for our interior to push Brown and Haynes to be their best at improving our O-line interior or risk being replaced as starters on 1 year contracts. This effort may give Geno another opportunity to "coin" a new phrase for 2023?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
This might sound a bit crazy...but did Denver agree to "trade their farm" thinking finally we get to punish the team who embarrassed us and our #1 Offense in the 2013 season (winning 43-8)... by "stealing" our own gifted QB RW? Many claimed Russell should have been worth 3 1rst rd picks so we took 2 firsts/2 seconds/1 5th and three players Fant (1rst rd pick)/Lock (2nd rd pick) and Shelby Harris (We wanted Dre'Mont Jones...but had to wait a year to sign him in free agency) Full equivalent value based on players and their draft position...3 firsts/3 seconds/1 fifth/1 seventh (Shelby) for Russell and a 4th rd draft pick from last years 2022 draft. Geno erased any vengeful claim by Denver hurt further by a tough "transition year" for Russell Wilson.
Revenge is always a dangerous game...just saying

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
If you check out 49ers Webzone, they all are DESPERATE to believe that Geno's performance last year was GUARANTEED, just a fluke and he will go off a cliff this year. I see no reason to think that but time will tell.

They also are desperate to believe that Brock Purdy is "Brady level good" and it's guaranteed he will be their long term starter and lead the league.

Total homerism, worse than I've seen anywhere.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
2017 Wilson got every single offensive TD but 1. He led the NFL in TD, led the team in rushing yards and rushing tds. While throwing almost 4000 yards. If only he could kick field goals...Can't believe someone thought signing Blair Walsh project was a good idea.
LOLOLOL You do realize that Wilson has NEVER been recognized as the CBPOTY or the MVP while he played for the Seahawks, right?
Wilson did a hell of a lot for this Franchise, but in some ways, he also held the success of the Franchise back with some of his sandlot heroics, when SOMETIMES, all he really had to do was TAKE what the Defenses were leaving open on 'Check Down' plays.
Wilson chose to leave because he didn't like the idea of not having a lot more say-so, welp, he got his wish for power & say-so = 5 wins in 2022

toffee

Reaction score
LOLOLOL You do realize that Wilson has NEVER been recognized as the CBPOTY or the MVP while he played for the Seahawks, right?
Wilson did a hell of a lot for this Franchise, but in some ways, he also held the success of the Franchise back with some of his sandlot heroics, when SOMETIMES, all he really had to do was TAKE what the Defenses were leaving open on 'Check Down' plays.
Wilson chose to leave because he didn't like the idea of not having a lot more say-so, welp, he got his wish for power & say-so = 5 wins in 2022
The keywords: Wilson chose to leave, after, purportedly forcing the ownership to pick between him and Pete/John.

OP
OP
D

Donn2390

Reaction score
The keywords: Wilson chose to leave, after, purportedly forcing the ownership to pick between him and Pete/John.
It would be interesting to know how shocked Russ was that the front office could be so foolish to have picked P&J over he, the golden boy, Mr. unlimited?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know how shocked Russ was that the front office could be so foolish to have picked P&J over he, the golden boy, Mr. unlimited?

He had nothing to gain by staying though. He took a chance and it didnt pan out,,,,yet. It may never, but it was worth the risk to him. The change of scenery was needed by both parties involved. He knew Jody was never going to choose him as Pete babysits the whole thing for her and she was selling eventually anyways. He got a fresh start and a big payday while Seattle received the resources they needed to rebuild for the future. Both parties won in the end. Wilson finally got away from Carroll and the Hawks got draft picks and younger. Last season with Denver was a disaster for Wilson as we all know, but he seems to have a renewed vigor now with Payton being hired and I expect better results for him and the Donkeys in the future. I also believe Seattle is on the right track, but we wont see the results until post Carroll and Geno.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Ah, but sometimes, even in Seahawks-Broncos cases, it can be so delicious.

My favorite "deal" with the Broncos (after RW of course) was in the 2019 draft...John Schneider wanted to do one of those uncharacteristic "move up" instead of his usual "trade down"...so in the 5th rd we traded with Denver to move up and draft...a punter?? Yes!

We drafted an Australian who was a "star" as a punter at Texas (Texas recruited him after seeing some you-tube content)...Michael Dickson (lately famous for his "double-punt" heroics last year. Rumors from Denver was immediate laughter...who moves up to draft a punter?? Thankfully John Schneider did...thats who...Denver laughter? *sound of crickets*

Hawkmode

Reaction score
He had nothing to gain by staying though. He took a chance and it didnt pan out,,,,yet. It may never, but it was worth the risk to him. The change of scenery was needed by both parties involved. He knew Jody was never going to choose him as Pete babysits the whole thing for her and she was selling eventually anyways. He got a fresh start and a big payday while Seattle received the resources they needed to rebuild for the future. Both parties won in the end. Wilson finally got away from Carroll and the Hawks got draft picks and younger. Last season with Denver was a disaster for Wilson as we all know, but he seems to have a renewed vigor now with Payton being hired and I expect better results for him and the Donkeys in the future. I also believe Seattle is on the right track, but we wont see the results until post Carroll and Geno.
My only counter to your post is my own belief that we will continue to see "results" with Pete and Geno leading the way...no more running in place...or getting "set" at the start...I wanna hear that "gun shot" that hurl's us toward the finish line...Is that Tariq the Freak or DK crossing first?

keasley45

Reaction score

It's like a former Seahawks player stated in the quote from the Athletic article on Russ and the Hawks 2 years ago. Russ had hit the point where he was being held accountable and didn't like it. It wasn't that he didn't have a choice but to leave. He could have been honest about himself and worked on improving his game. He could have taken a lesser contract that was more reflective of how the franchise saw him - a solid player, but not 'elite', and with weaknesses the team had to work around. The FO knew. Pete knew. Players knew. It was no secret that Russ had flaws that no one addressed openly.

All Russ did was take the cover he was provided and threw it on the FO to try to drown them out so that he could maintain the narrative he created for himself and that for years, Pete supported.

But he didn't leave because he had no choice. He could have worked on being all around better. Instead, he took the chance to cash in on faith others had in him, based on how he portrayed himself and his ability.

And in the end, what's he left with? Having to make the same improvements in Denver that he would have needed to make here. But... he was smart in that he managed to swindle the Broncos into paying for an elite qb, when what he really was was a great talent that required a very specific set of circumstances to excel.

He got his money. But in part, it's him getting paid that has turned so many against him. It's him having hidden his weaknesses this whole time that led to him now being exposed on the field in the most embarrassing of ways.

He had a choice and he chose the hard way.

And for all the bible thumping he does, for all the quotes of scripture he leans on and posts to social media, he should flip through some of the other lessons in that book.

Proverbs 20:17 says -

The bread of deceit is sweet to a man: but afterward his mouth shall be filled with gravel.

Seattle is known for its coffee, but for Russ, I think the bread was sweet indeed.

Denver? The rocky mountains... plenty of gravel coming his way.

Meanwhile, we have a qb in Geno Smith who did what Russ COULD have done. Humbled himself, taken account of what he could do and couldn't, and struck a deal that benefited everyone.

I'm glad we have that dude, not just for that, but for his ability on the field.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
It's like a former Seahawks player stated in the quote from the Athletic article on Russ and the Hawks 2 years ago. Russ had hit the point where he was being held accountable and didn't like it. It wasn't that he didn't have a choice but to leave. He could have been honest about himself and worked on improving his game. He could have taken a lesser contract that was more reflective of how the franchise saw him - a solid player, but not 'elite', and with weaknesses the team had to work around. The FO knew. Pete knew. Players knew. It was no secret that Russ had flaws that no one addressed openly.

All Russ did was take the cover he was provided and threw it on the FO to try to drown them out so that he could maintain the narrative he created for himself and that for years, Pete supported.

But he didn't leave because he had no choice. He could have worked on being all around better. Instead, he took the chance to cash in on faith others had in him, based on how he portrayed himself and his ability.

And in the end, what's he left with? Having to make the same improvements in Denver that he would have needed to make here. But... he was smart in that he managed to swindle the Broncos into paying for an elite qb, when what he really was was a great talent that required a very specific set of circumstances to excel.

He got his money. But in part, it's him getting paid that has turned so many against him. It's him having hidden his weaknesses this whole time that led to him now being exposed on the field in the most embarrassing of ways.

He had a choice and he chose the hard way.

And for all the bible thumping he does, for all the quotes of scripture he leans on and posts to social media, he should flip through some of the other lessons in that book.

Proverbs 20:17 says -

The bread of deceit is sweet to a man: but afterward his mouth shall be filled with gravel.

Seattle is known for its coffee, but for a Russ, I think the bread was sweet indeed.

Denver? The rocky mountains... plenty of gravel coming his way.

Meanwhile, we have a qb in Geno Smith who did what Russ COULD have done. Humbled himself, taken account of what he could do and couldn't, and struck a deal that benefited everyone.

I'm glad we have that dude, not just for that, but for his ability on the field.
Well spoken...been enjoying your posts lately.

stack55

Reaction score
When you know with 100% certainty that the other team is going to run the ball & you still can't stop it to get off the field, you are considered the worst defense in the league.
Seattle was definitely the worst tackling team in the league.
Hopefully there’s a fix to that problem, maybe (Bobby Wagner).

Hawkmode

Reaction score
If the fan base sees it plainly you gotta know the coaching staff can't tolerate it...its a "black eye" to Pete and his newly appointed Defensive Coordinator. Our 2022 season ended no doubt with a LOUD "Fix IT"

The good news is the team with ample help from our GM John Schneider has "rushed" to calm an embarrassed Head Coach.

Do "some digging" and you will find our new faces from free agency (Dre'Mont Jones/Jarran Reed/Devin Bush/Julius Love/Mario Edwards) and the return of Bobby Wagner as you already noted are already a boost in the right direction. The latest draft injection adds even more (Spoon/Derick Hall/Cameron Young/Mike Morris/Jarrick Reed II...some nasty dudes when you get down to it)

What else? ...We jacked up our offense with even more juiced elusive play makers to make our practices true battlegrounds for improvement...when the pads come on...the bruises begin and competitive juices begin to flow.

If our Defense can win the "turf war" against our stacked offense...showing sound fundamentals and disciplined gap integrity...we'll be able to "hit the ground running" in 2023 as we push further into our schedule.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
We still don't really know what we have in Geno. Overall, it was a solid performance last year that still left us with a few questions. The end of the season was a little troubling, but it wasn't like he fell of a cliff. Pure speculation, but I think he just hit a wall, playing a whole season for the first time in a loooong time.

But I also think that the fact that 2022 was Geno's first year playing as a starter all season since 2014 gives us hope. In many ways, he's like a rookie who got the chance to learn a lot from playing the whole season last year. He gets to return this year as the annointed starter, having experience in the same system with the same coaches and players, no key losses and a few upgrades. To me, that's a formula for success and improvement.

Good post

I think you're right in that we won't know what Geno does on the field this year until he actually does it. There's little to lean on but for the success he had for 17 games in 2022. And if you parse through his college game and even his play in NY (it wasn't all that bad - he was asked to carry that team as a rookie and kept them competitive).

But I think we do know a good bit. We have a qb who knows the offense.

He showed that he could make the smart pre snap, single read and throw.

He showed that he can get through his progressions quickly and find the open guy on a given play.

He showed that he can throw with anticipation, touch and timing.

And he did that at a rate of success that statistics confirmed.

If you have a qb who can do the above, you've got better than a fighting chance to do pretty well.

How much better can he be? That's what I want to know. Yes, his completion percentage was high, but so was Russ's. That didn't necessarily translate to 3rd down success for either guy. Can he find ways to make the plays that move the chains consistently on the money down.

Yeah, he got the ball out quickly and had decent poise in hanging in to make the tough throws. But that tendency to ignore the rush, stand in and take a hit, also cost us dearly in 2 games. Can he develop the awareness to break the pocket and just use his legs when it makes more sense?

And he throws with confidence, particularly on presnap, single read plays. But the windows on those throws got progressively smaller as the season wore on. Can he and Shane scheme and disguise their way to a deeper pool of successful plays?

He showed a mastery of the playbook, but it was a relatively shallow well of plays that we relied upon for success. Can he take the next step and make the offense his own the way the elite guys do?

And he's fiery, but can he contain that competitive nature and confidence in his eyes and arm so that it doesn't lead to errant plays and unforced mistakes? Can he play aggressively within the offense. For me, that's the big one, because it relies on things being opened up enough that Geno can push. But it also takes patience on Geno's part to work through the system thoroughly.

If the answer to those questions are yes, we don't just have a solid starter, we have a qbotf for however long he can sling it.

But I think he's shown already that he has the tools to be an above average qb in the league. And with the team we are assembling around him, that alone might be enough to bring significant success.

BASF

Reaction score

Third worst. But, absolutely the biggest problem with the team. Getting rid of the worst players on the defense is a step in the right direction, but a lot of the problems was poor communication and that is directly on Hurtt's shoulders. Hopefully he improves in year two. I have already called for his head, but am hopeful he can turn it around.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Third worst. But, absolutely the biggest problem with the team. Getting rid of the worst players on the defense is a step in the right direction, but a lot of the problems was poor communication and that is directly on Hurtt's shoulders. Hopefully he improves in year two. I have already called for his head, but am hopeful he can turn it around.

The page that's linked has teams ordered by number of solo tackles in the season, even though the search field comes up with text asking which team had the most missed tackles.

Think about the numbers. The top teams are over 800, and the bottom team is the Raiders at 711. If that were missed tackles, then the team missing the fewest tackles in the season would have missed nearly 42 tackles per game. For comparison, the Seahawks had a total 30 missed tackles in the first two games of 2022, which included the disaster against the Gold Diggers in Santa Clara.

What the linked page tells us is not that the Seahawks were the third-worst team at tackling in 2022, but that the Seahawks defense had the third-highest number of solo tackles in the season.

And even if the list had actually contained the count of missed tackles for each team, that wouldn't have really told us which teams were the worst at tackling. If a team's offense is not staying on the field, then the defense will be on the field more and therefore have more opportunities to miss tackles.
To know which team tackled worst, we'd need a rate stat, not a counting stat. Something like missed tackles divided by tackle attempts (tackles plus missed tackles) or missed tackles divided by total plays on which a tackle could have been attempted - either total defensive snaps or total defensive snaps plus kickoffs plus punts plus free kicks plus offensive turnovers. In any case, not a counting stat, but a rate stat obtained by dividing some counting stat by some other counting stat.