Geno Geno Geno..!!

BASF

Reaction score
The page that's linked has teams ordered by number of solo tackles in the season, even though the search field comes up with text asking which team had the most missed tackles.

Think about the numbers. The top teams are over 800, and the bottom team is the Raiders at 711. If that were missed tackles, then the team missing the fewest tackles in the season would have missed nearly 42 tackles per game. For comparison, the Seahawks had a total 30 missed tackles in the first two games of 2022, which included the disaster against the Gold Diggers in Santa Clara.

What the linked page tells us is not that the Seahawks were the third-worst team at tackling in 2022, but that the Seahawks defense had the third-highest number of solo tackles in the season.

And even if the list had actually contained the count of missed tackles for each team, that wouldn't have really told us which teams were the worst at tackling. If a team's offense is not staying on the field, then the defense will be on the field more and therefore have more opportunities to miss tackles.
To know which team tackled worst, we'd need a rate stat, not a counting stat. Something like missed tackles divided by tackle attempts (tackles plus missed tackles) or missed tackles divided by total plays on which a tackle could have been attempted - either total defensive snaps or total defensive snaps plus kickoffs plus punts plus free kicks plus offensive turnovers. In any case, not a counting stat, but a rate stat obtained by dividing some counting stat by some other counting stat.
Good catch Largatixa. My content's quality has been suffering to almost a fish's level lately. Need to step my game up.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
There are "intangibles" at play when using stats...especially for accumulation stats. A new rule of impact was applied in the NFL last year...the flag baiting rule of making a tackle while keeping your helmet "out of the way". Natural tacklers have good technique and take proper attack angles to the ball holder...but making a shoulder tackle only while consciously trying to redirect your helmet is asking a lot...especially since the target can suddenly drop down or move just before impact. It's a bad rule with good intentions to limit injuries...but instincts are hard to "re-wire". If something is thrown at your face...your hands should react with little thought to move up and block...so each team must work at coaching a tackler to un-do something that often will occurr out of habit...any hesitation to process a hit to be made is an opportunity for the target to elude. That is not the reason we were poor at tackling last year but its another thing to consider for the entire NFL...not just our team. Tackling is quick and decisive when having less to process. My own view is punish those tacklers who clearly are flagrant (yes the Ref must determine intent) not provide another "ref tool" to draw suspicion on altering a close scored game.

OP
OP
D

Donn2390

Reaction score
He had nothing to gain by staying though. He took a chance and it didnt pan out,,,,yet. It may never, but it was worth the risk to him. The change of scenery was needed by both parties involved. He knew Jody was never going to choose him as Pete babysits the whole thing for her and she was selling eventually anyways. He got a fresh start and a big payday while Seattle received the resources they needed to rebuild for the future. Both parties won in the end. Wilson finally got away from Carroll and the Hawks got draft picks and younger. Last season with Denver was a disaster for Wilson as we all know, but he seems to have a renewed vigor now with Payton being hired and I expect better results for him and the Donkeys in the future. I also believe Seattle is on the right track, but we wont see the results until post Carroll and Geno.
I applaud you for not letting us down by never letting a reasonable good analyses go by without failing to dump all over the best coach, by far, that the Seahawks have ever, or possibly will ever, have.
I predict that you are not going to be particularly thrilled by this years success, however even if the Hawks win the SB, you will write paragraphs about the fact that it was won in spite of Carroll rather than because of him.
Damn that guy sure is lucky to always be in the right place at the right time for someone else to carry him to victory..!..

Hawkmode

Reaction score
I applaud you for not letting us down by never letting a reasonable good analyses go by without failing to dump all over the best coach, by far, that the Seahawks have ever, or possibly will ever, have.
I predict that you are not going to be particularly thrilled by this years success, however even if the Hawks win the SB, you will write paragraphs about the fact that it was won in spite of Carroll rather than because of him.
Damn that guy sure is lucky to always be in the right place at the right time for someone else to carry him to victory..!..
Pretty sure you are responding to him in a personal light...he's actually a disgruntled fan who's very good (irritatingly so) at playing the Devil's Advocate role...just respond well to what he says...not to what you feel he represents. Our team is once again drawing respect from outside our fan base for a change...be happy with that for now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah....everything sucks. Pete Sucks. DK Sucks. Adams Sucks. The Defense Sucks. The team has no shot in 2023. All the things.............

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Nah....everything sucks. Pete Sucks. DK Sucks. Adams Sucks. The Defense Sucks. All the things.............
Surely we know better...plenty of fans hate the emotional high of expectations to come crashing down by the uncertainty of the NFL. I want to take that ride...but its a train with plenty of room on board.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This team is absolutely on the rise. Not saying SB contender, yet. But they are building a hell of a team. And a deep team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Third worst. But, absolutely the biggest problem with the team. Getting rid of the worst players on the defense is a step in the right direction, but a lot of the problems was poor communication and that is directly on Hurtt's shoulders. Hopefully he improves in year two. I have already called for his head, but am hopeful he can turn it around.
Hopefully, by bringing Bobby Wagner back, it will help with a lot of the Miscommunication issues.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just need him to cut way back on fumbles, he had 8 fumbles last year. That's just plain not good enough. They're talking about it right now on the KJ Wright show. So, this isn't just ME saying he needs to improve (before people get their panties in a bunch)
This is coming straight from KJ.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Also, running game woes and horrendous interior offensive line play especially the second half of the season. Makes a QBs job awfully hard when you're one dimensional and can't protect the guy with the ball at all.
Two rookies starting on OL last year didn't help - especially in the second half of the season when they were wearing down. Longest season of their lives at the highest level of competition....... They should be better prepared this year for the grind and the level of competition.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Two rookies starting on OL last year didn't help - especially in the second half of the season when they were wearing down. Longest season of their lives at the highest level of competition....... They should be better prepared this year for the grind and the level of competition.
Good point. I forgot about that. You can see the improved oline play in the preseason. Our qb's aren't getting pressured much.