Geno Geno Geno..!!

rcaido

Reaction score
I have never seen one guy carry a team ever in Football, I have seen a leader that can rally a team and get them playing above their skill set time and time again because they believe in him.

From what I have read Geno has all that.
2017 Wilson got every single offensive TD but 1. He led the NFL in TD, led the team in rushing yards and rushing tds. While throwing almost 4000 yards. If only he could kick field goals...Can't believe someone thought signing Blair Walsh project was a good idea.

RiverDog

Reaction score
That's cause he was busy fumbling instead. Let's not pretend that because Geno hasn’t thrown INT that he doesn't turnover the ball in the redzone. I hope he improves in that area too.
I wasn't 'pretending' that Geno didn't turn the ball over in the red zone, and I'm not sure what it was that I said that would lead you to that assumption. I was simply stating a fact, that he threw no red zone interceptions in the 2022 regular season. It's a fact that is relevant to the post I was responding to, i.e. his red zone completion percentage.

And BTW, Geno lost 4 fumbles last season, and I doubt that they all occurred in the red zone.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wasn't 'pretending' that Geno didn't turn the ball over in the red zone, and I'm not sure what it was that I said that would lead you to that assumption. I was simply stating a fact, that he threw no red zone interceptions in the 2022 regular season. It's a fact that is relevant to the post I was responding to, i.e. his red zone completion percentage.

And BTW, Geno lost 4 fumbles last season, and I doubt that they all occurred in the red zone.
You may be correct that all his 8 fumbles last season weren't in the red zone. However, the biggest one was. NFC Wildcard game vs 49ers - down by 6 at that juncture. It changed the whole complexion of the game.

toffee

Reaction score
2017 Wilson got every single offensive TD but 1. He led the NFL in TD, led the team in rushing yards and rushing tds. While throwing almost 4000 yards. If only he could kick field goals...Can't believe someone thought signing Blair Walsh project was a good idea.
Good points!

RiverDog

Reaction score
You may be correct that all his 8 fumbles last season weren't in the red zone. However, the biggest one was. NFC Wildcard game vs 49ers - down by 6 at that juncture. It changed the whole complexion of the game.
The discussion was over stats compiled over the regular season, not the playoffs.

I wasn't necessarily promoting Geno. All I was saying was in a discussion about his red zone performance during the regular season, that in addition to his relatively low completion percentage, in order to be fair, we should also be including the fact that he didn't throw any interceptions.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Prescott is overrated. I think Geno is solid with good support. He could easily be another Rich Gannon. It's not like Gannon was a monster talent, and he had a few great seasons in his later career.
I agree on Prescott. Geno will be top-10 and ahead of Dak by the end of the season. But we still need to draft a QB in 2024.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The discussion was over stats compiled over the regular season, not the playoffs.

I wasn't necessarily promoting Geno. All I was saying was in a discussion about his red zone performance during the regular season, that in addition to his relatively low completion percentage, in order to be fair, we should also be including the fact that he didn't throw any interceptions.
Fair enough. I was not trying to put the entire blame on Geno. I think it's more Waldron and the playcalling rather than Geno. They also struggled there with RW and Geno in the 2021 season too. His numbers took a dive in the redzone so I thought that was really strange. It didn't match was he was doing over the rest of the field.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fair enough. I was not trying to put the entire blame on Geno. I think it's more Waldron and the playcalling rather than Geno. They also struggled there with RW and Geno in the 2021 season too. His numbers took a dive in the redzone so I thought that was really strange. It didn't match was he was doing over the rest of the field.
I wouldn't be too alarmed about a drop in production inside the 20. It's very understandable, as the field shrinks, there's less territory for the defense to defend, and less room for receivers to operate. You're also less willing to take a sack as it could take you out of FG range, so a QB might be more apt to throw a pass away rather than take a chance of getting sacked by extending a play and scrambling 15-20 yards behind the LOS than they would if the LOS was his own 40. That can easily account for a 10-15% drop in completion percentage.

What worries me most about Geno is his drop off in production during the 2nd half of the season last year. He was taking more chances, not making good run/pass decisions, turned the ball over more. Was it because defenses finally had a book on him, that his incredible start of the season was an anomaly and the second half more of what we can expect this season?

To me, that's the biggest question mark heading into the 2023 season.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too alarmed about a drop in production inside the 20. It's very understandable, as the field shrinks, there's less territory for the defense to defend, and less room for receivers to operate. You're also less willing to take a sack as it could take you out of FG range, so a QB might be more apt to throw a pass away rather than take a chance of getting sacked by extending a play and scrambling 15-20 yards behind the LOS than they would if the LOS was his own 40. That can easily account for a 10-15% drop in completion percentage.

What worries me most about Geno is his drop off in production during the 2nd half of the season last year. He was taking more chances, not making good run/pass decisions, turned the ball over more. Was it because defenses finally had a book on him, that his incredible start of the season was an anomaly and the second half more of what we can expect this season?

This

morgulon1

Reaction score

I think the drop in production was a result of the running backs being injured.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think the drop in production was a result of the running backs being injured.
I don't agree. From the Tampa Bay game on, Geno took a lot more chances, got away with a number of dropped interceptions when he threw into tight windows, made some bad run/pass decisions, etc. It was a big factor in our late season slide.

If you look back at our running production in the first half of the season, there were a number of games, 4 of our first 9, where our leading RB rushed for fewer than 70 yards yet Geno still played well. That makes it a little difficult to blame his play in the second half of the season on injured running backs.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don't agree. From the Tampa Bay game on, Geno took a lot more chances, got away with a number of dropped interceptions when he threw into tight windows, made some bad run/pass decisions, etc. It was a big factor in our late season slide.

If you look back at our running production in the first half of the season, there were a number of games, 4 of our first 9, where our leading RB rushed for fewer than 70 yards yet Geno still played well. That makes it a little difficult to blame his play in the second half of the season on injured running backs.
Maybe his socks were tight. That's made me lose at video games so there's something to it.

toffee

Reaction score

Could it be that OL also contributed to the late season slide?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Ratings without context are like opinions...everybody has one. Being new here I'll start up front by saying I was pulling for Drew Lock last year. I accept Geno and appreciate that Shane Waldron has "tailor made" a spread type offense that caters to Geno's strengths. Some label Geno as liking "1rst half Geno" while suspicious of "2nd half Geno". Why look in the weeds for reasons to doubt. IMO Coach Instilled Confidence is the biggest boost for a skilled QB to excel. Geno rewarded our team for giving him opportunity in 2022 by avoiding any contract conflict and signing before testing himself on the open market. Geno is now key to unleashing the full potential of Shane Waldron as our play caller.

chris98251

Reaction score
So he did that without a O line, a defense, any wide receivers, running backs. I missed that season I guess.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So he did that without a O line, a defense, any wide receivers, running backs. I missed that season I guess.
Me too..A bunch of Me3 highlights of just him alone doing it all..Mr Unlimited!

Hawkmode

Reaction score

The words "I don't agree" is a common rebuttal for not sharing a posted opinion. I don't agree by the use of such a "blanket" opinion that Geno digressed... as much as the more likely whole team ...suffered through some tough moments. The reality is there are many reasons (some see as excuses) for adversity to appear in the NFL...was it more tape/film available to spot trends in Waldron's play calling/was our O-line youth (tackles) feeling the wear and tear of not only more games in a season but a season of playing against the NFL's best/did Geno begin to feel more pressure from suddenly realizing we had real playoff opportunity?/was our run support waning due to injury or shallow depth to step up?/Did Geno feel responsible for our defense struggling as a lack of sustained drives put the opponents offense on the field more often? Our coaches know the actual breakdown of our struggle...fans observe...but coaches understand a little bit better. Fixes are being made...but trust is needed...not just assurances.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
All hero worshipping aside...an individual accomplishes nothing without a rallied team to lead. Did RW throw TD so high he caught them all himself? Did RW run around eluding all would be tacklers? Were his rushing TD's called in from the sidelines because no options existed...any chance some were from audibles? Be satisfied RW played the QB position very well...but don't slight the team as a means of elevating his value. Nothing personal...this is a fan site.

bileever

Reaction score
We still don't really know what we have in Geno. Overall, it was a solid performance last year that still left us with a few questions. The end of the season was a little troubling, but it wasn't like he fell of a cliff. Pure speculation, but I think he just hit a wall, playing a whole season for the first time in a loooong time.

But I also think that the fact that 2022 was Geno's first year playing as a starter all season since 2014 gives us hope. In many ways, he's like a rookie who got the chance to learn a lot from playing the whole season last year. He gets to return this year as the annointed starter, having experience in the same system with the same coaches and players, no key losses and a few upgrades. To me, that's a formula for success and improvement.