Free Agent Targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Str8OuttaSkittles":q3v40cnu said:
kobebryant":q3v40cnu said:
Str8OuttaSkittles":q3v40cnu said:
martevius bryant is young and hungry might have issues but man (if Prich is asking for $7m) woul be cheap too
also one of marquise lee or josh gordon would do

Martavis has a year left on his deal. He is not a UFA.
yeah your right heard he wants out of steelers though

Depends on the month.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Fluker did not rate well last year and hasn't rated very well since his arrival in the NFL.

I do expect the Hawks to go outside the organization and find/sign a mauling LG. I think it is needed and should be a priority for the Organization.

massari

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere:

"Meanwhile, Seferian-Jenkins has laid groundwork for a return to Seattle by hiring agent Doug Hendrickson, according to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta. Hendrickson has become known as a Seahawks whisper of sorts. He paved the way for Michael Bennett and Marshawn Lynch's contract extensions with the team while representing them. He also represents Dion Jordan, as well."
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-jets ... -113464140

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Aesj88/status/950071338710036480[/tweet]

original poster

Reaction score
massari":kbf0m5sd said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere:

"Meanwhile, Seferian-Jenkins has laid groundwork for a return to Seattle by hiring agent Doug Hendrickson, according to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta. Hendrickson has become known as a Seahawks whisper of sorts. He paved the way for Michael Bennett and Marshawn Lynch's contract extensions with the team while representing them. He also represents Dion Jordan, as well."
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-jets ... -114638494

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Aesj88/status/950071338710036480[/tweet]

It has been discussed before but I'm kind of intrigued by both.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Kinda early but now that the SB is over it's time to start thinking about this. Here are just a couple. I have quite a few more but will leave them for you, or post them later.

Malcomb Butler. Dude stole our 2nd Lombardi and was benched for yesterdays game. That was puzzling and to see the Patriots lose one has to question that move. We could certainly use a vet CB at this point, not sure of his salary demands.

LeGarrett Blount. I wanted him out of college but we traded for Lynch so he went elsewhere. He is as close to Lynch as there is. Can break tackles and still has tons of juice left, and the Hawk running game as of right now is possibly the WORST in the league for a myriad of reasons, but getting Blount would not be like getting Eddie Friggin Lacy.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Shead is F.A. and didn't play a snap. Butler is going to have that coveted "chip" on the shoulder.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Butler doesn't fit Seattle's mold for CB, he's too small.

Also who are you benching for Butler? Sherman or Griffin?

Butler is not a fit here.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":22qhmd1f said:
On my radar:

Gilliam
DJ Fluker
Senio Kelemete
Clinton McDonald
Isaiah Crowell
Terrence West
Alfred Morris

Retain McDougald, Maxwell.

I think Fluker may be on the way to Seattle. Think Robert Gallery: underperforming high pick to plug at guard and scare the shit out of the defense. Bully them. Get Solari a monster for our guy to run behind.
I really like your list here. I hope they at least "kick the tires" on each of those guys. Kelemete could be a real diamond in the rough, I love how well he filled in playing almost every position on the line during the season for the Saints.

We do have openings at TE with both JG and Luke UFAs so I'd like to see them look at potentially bringing in someone there too.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Not sure about benching someone, but it's all about competition here.

Griffin was ok as a rookie, hard to say how he will progress, and Shermans injury for a CB is a concern. Not sure why you think a good CB like Butler isn't a fit.

Height is over rated around here. Has height won a super bowl?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
No high profile ones.... were gonna get a couple compensatory picks if Jimmy and sheldon Richardson leave. If we sign we would lose.

original poster

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about Seferian-Jenkins, can someone confirm what type of TE he is?

massari

Reaction score
original poster":kxky5krq said:
I know next to nothing about Seferian-Jenkins, can someone confirm what type of TE he is?
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/1 ... t_end.html
Coming out of the University of Washington in 2014, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins envisioned himself putting up monster receiving numbers in the NFL.

After all, in three years of college, he had 538, 852, and 450 yards, plus six, seven, and eight touchdowns. He was fully prepared to replicate those numbers as a pro.

One problem: He didn't grasp the importance of blocking, especially in the running game, and just aspired to be a prolific, pass-catching tight end.

"I think earlier in my career, that's just what I wanted to be," he told NJ Advance Media. "I'm 25, and I'm [in my] fourth year, and I just want to be a complete tight end. I want to be the best complete tight end."

Now in his second season with the Jets, he is taking big steps toward that.

He was a run-blocking force in last Sunday's win over the Jaguars, playing key blocking roles on touchdown runs of 69 and 75 yards. On another running play that he recalled Thursday, he handled Pro Bowl defensive end Calais Campbell -- no easy task.

"I was able to seal him off," Seferian-Jenkins said. "Before, I know I definitely wouldn't have done that. That was a cool thing. That's where I think my game has improved, and being able to keep me on the field more than before. They're like, 'OK, we can trust him for the most part.' I'm getting closer to becoming a complete tight end."

Last week, Seferian-Jenkins played 77 percent of the Jets' offensive snaps. A week earlier, against the Dolphins, he played 76 percent.

Committing to blocking, particularly for running plays, "just makes everything easier," Seferian-Jenkins said. "It's got to be want-to, being nasty and having that mindset like an o-lineman.

"I think I was always capable of it. I just think I didn't really understand the importance of it, or what it took to do all that, so you could be a complete tight end. I always just thought it was about catching. If you really want to be a special tight end, a complete tight end, you've got to be able to block."

Seferian-Jenkins spent a lot of time this offseason reconditioning his body. But for him to improve his run blocking, he knew he needed a defender across from him -- a guy charging toward him. This wasn't something he could perfect in a gym or during individual drills. He had to tackle the task during training camp.

"That was a big emphasis that I challenged him [with] in training camp," said offensive coordinator John Morton. "You don't want to be one dimensional. He's accepted that. He works on it every single day. He just keeps getting better and better."

From a scheme standpoint, Jets coach Todd Bowles said there are a few advantages to having a two-dimensional tight end like Seferian-Jenkins, who has nine catches for 77 yards in his two games played this season, since he returned from a two-game suspension (DUI arrest).

If a tight end is strictly a blocker, Bowles said a defense can load the box and expect a running play. If a tight end is strictly a receiver, the defense can insert its nickel package, with an extra defensive back to cover the tight end.

"If you have a guy that can do both, you can mismatch how you want it to mismatch," Bowles said. "It'll be to your advantage."

If the defense goes with its base alignment, the Jets can spread out their offensive formation and get Seferian-Jenkins in a mismatch with a slower player.

And if the Jets see a defense opting for a nickel package, they can use Seferian-Jenkins as a blocker on a power running play, against the smaller, quicker defensive alignment.

"So it's good to have a dual tight end," Bowles said.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":lqdv7ex6 said:
Thanks!

Yeah, I'd be very happy with him on the team.

Don't leave out the fact he has a hard time staying on the field. 80 games in 5 years he has played only in 38 of them. That is 47% availability. Not something to count on being a key member of the team. His best year was last year playing 13 games. He also has been suspended and admitted substance abuse issues (which is better than those that won't admit the problem but have it IMO), so that adds more risk.

Only if he is cheap would I take the chance on him.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was a headline reader, awesome player that didn't put in the homework once he got to the NFL, got into a bit of trouble in Tampa Bay and got off track. There was a time people thought he was Jeremy Stevens 2.0. Seems he has got it finally, could be a force in the right system.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Seahawkville":yap7j30v said:
Kinda early but now that the SB is over it's time to start thinking about this. Here are just a couple. I have quite a few more but will leave them for you, or post them later.

Malcomb Butler. Dude stole our 2nd Lombardi and was benched for yesterdays game. That was puzzling and to see the Patriots lose one has to question that move. We could certainly use a vet CB at this point, not sure of his salary demands.

LeGarrett Blount. I wanted him out of college but we traded for Lynch so he went elsewhere. He is as close to Lynch as there is. Can break tackles and still has tons of juice left, and the Hawk running game as of right now is possibly the WORST in the league for a myriad of reasons, but getting Blount would not be like getting Eddie Friggin Lacy.

Don’t we think that might cause issues in our already overly sensitive locker room.

original poster

Reaction score
Malcolm Butler couldn't be any less 'Seahawky' if he tried.

I'd say there is more chance of Russ getting traded for the 75th overall pick in the 2018 draft than there is Butler in Seattle.

He doesn't have the height, he doesn't have the length and he's about to get his first big contract.

original poster

Reaction score
I think Seattle will pick up Shane Vareen in free agency for vet minimum, or very close to vet minimum.

massari

Reaction score
Starting to hop on the Carlos Hyde train and rolling the dice with Carson....good RB's are easier to find than other positions later in the draft and are cheap to sign via free agency. The Eagles won with Ajayi (5th round pick), Blount (undrafted vet with $1.25M cap hit) and Clement (undrafted 2017).

So sign a vet like Hyde to a 1 year deal if the price is right, and pick up a RB in the 4th or later to go along with Carson, Hyde, McKissic.

Maybe try (like some have suggested) Prosise at WR since his body isn't made for the punishment of a RB.

Rawls, Davis will hopefully be depth in camp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.