Our Offseason Free Agent Budget?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not sure I'm down with that plan. Geno is an above average QB that will not be easy to replace. So you either have to spend draft capital getting a high enough pick for a franchise QB now or if not an option this year you roll with Lock. If Lock has a good year you'll be right back to paying Geno money or having to draft a QB that will then be forced into an immediate starting role that may or may not be best for their development.

I'd rather keep Geno, which buys time to find that franchise QB and possibly gives them time to develop before carrying the weight of having to win at the NFL level. While at the same time finding your pieces for the OL and the D.
The only way you keep Geno is at a much lower price keep Lock if you can and start taking your shots immediately at quarterback. Every year if need be.

bigcc

Reaction score
Guessing they will either restructure or cut Lockett. With JSN now there and a new coach that decision may be easier to do.
They can extend him a few years and rearrange the money so that it's heavily back loaded, similar to where we're at now. It would be a play until you're retired or cut kind of thing, if he's still going can do it again if he's willing to be wr3.

From my understanding he's a businessman, but I don't know how much he wants to uproot his life for a year or two for another team

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The only way you keep Geno is at a much lower price keep Lock if you can and start taking your shots immediately at quarterback. Every year if need be.
I'm no Geno fanboy but why does he need to renegotiate his contract? If anything he could argue he's still underpaid. Geno is the #13 ranked QB in the NFL per PFF but is #18 in salary per Spotrac.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/qb
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/quarterback/

IMO, they keep Geno and hopefully draft their QB of the future this year and cut him next year or take a QB next year and use the year 3 contract out clause the following year. That gives them time to bring the new QB up to speed on the playbook and the staff time to "coach him up".

xray

Reaction score
Operating at a deficit much ? :)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm no Geno fanboy but why does he need to renegotiate his contract? If anything he could argue he's still underpaid. Geno is the #13 ranked QB in the NFL per PFF but is #18 in salary per Spotrac.

IMO, they keep Geno and hopefully draft their QB of the future this year and cut him next year or take a QB next year and use the year 3 contract out clause the following year. That gives them time to bring the new QB up to speed on the playbook and the staff time to "coach him up".
He's 34 I think? And by other metrics the 13 ranking is a little generous. By EPA he's 16th and we had a few guys hurt last year that would potentially slide him down even more. I don't think he's overpaid but at this point with a limited future I think its fair to look into all the options with him moving forward.

Hawknight

Reaction score
The cap mismanagement continued. It was never really bad in any single year, but every year they kept pushing just a little more forward (borrowing from the future).

In 2023, they restructured every high $ contract on the books, pushing all of that money into 2024 and 2025, just to have enough for 1 high $ free agent (Jones) who, as usual, vastly underperformed his contract. They also splurged a future 2nd and 5th on a half-year rental. They did this while also having massive extra draft capital for 2 seasons and 3 players from that trade.

The Seahawks squandered the RW trade capital, the free players, and a significant portion of their future cap to give us a couple of mediocre teams.

The cumulative effect of pushing 'just a little more' into the future for the past 5 years has the 2024 cap in a very bad space, and the 2025 cap even worse. If they do the same thing in 2024 and push into 2025 like they've been doing, we'll start 2025 $20M+ in the hole with only 30 rostered players. 2024 was a bad enough start with 40 rostered and -0- cap space.
So basically can we fairly judge MM 2024 and 2025 season with the mismanaged cap and the dead money for the next two seasons? I can't see how MM could take the job and not know what he's up against. Talk about building a team with one arm tied behind your back and expecting to building a caliber like team. Against all odds it seems.

renofox

Reaction score
So basically can we fairly judge MM 2024 and 2025 season with the mismanaged cap and the dead money for the next two seasons? I can't see how MM could take the job and not know what he's up against. Talk about building a team with one arm tied behind your back and expecting to building a caliber like team. Against all odds it seems.
Expecting MM to win playoff games year 1 is unrealistic. It may happen, but is not probable, assuming JS starts digging out of the hole.

2 years of good management is plenty to get the Seahawks out of the hole while retaining plenty of opportunities to develop young and less expensive talent. The team should start being playoff competitive by year 3, IMO.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He's 34 I think? And by other metrics the 13 ranking is a little generous. By EPA he's 16th and we had a few guys hurt last year that would potentially slide him down even more. I don't think he's overpaid but at this point with a limited future I think its fair to look into all the options with him moving forward.
Top 3 in age: Stafford is 35, RW3 is 35 and Geno is 33. I could easily question EPA also when it puts Brock Purdy in the same territory as Brady, Manning and Rodgers. I'm not saying MM shouldn't consider all his options, I'm just saying I think Geno, for now, makes the most sense from what I'm seeing.

bigcc

Reaction score

Year 3 contract out clause? If you're talking about the out spotrac shows that's literally for right now..... Until 2/16

Geno has played in two offenses the past decade, and he was a bust in one of them..... and he was here two years before named starter, why is anyone assuming that he'll just pick up whatever unknown offense we're going to run? He is going to have similar growing pains that a rookie would.

bigcc

Reaction score
Top 3 in age: Stafford is 35, RW3 is 35 and Geno is 33. I could easily question EPA also when it puts Brock Purdy in the same territory as Brady, Manning and Rodgers. I'm not saying MM shouldn't consider all his options, I'm just saying I think Geno, for now, makes the most sense from what I'm seeing.
Stafford turned 36 today lol, and the lions got rid of him at 33 like geno is and now have their qb of the future. Russell Wilson was traded at.... 33...and now doesn't have a team after being benched and cut.

I know that's not what you were going for, but you're unintentionally proving my point.

You skipped rodgers btw, he's playing this year.

EDIT: if we were contending for a playoff run, you DEFINITELY keep him, but we have an entirely new coaching staff, geno is not the right guy unfortunately due to the situation, but it's reality

bigcc

Reaction score
They didn't sign him to 6 years (!) to get rid of him if he starts slow, the opposite really.

Fans won't like it because carroll spoiled fans (people literally think he's trash for going 9-8), but people need a reality check. We're in a brutal division, and have an entirely new coaching staff that's never worked together with a first time HC.

Fans are expecting 24 win type stuff first two years like McVay, but 10 win type stuff first two years like shanahan is more realistic.

Hawknight

Reaction score
They didn't sign him to 6 years (!) to get rid of him if he starts slow, the opposite really.

Fans won't like it because carroll spoiled fans (people literally think he's trash for going 9-8), but people need a reality check. We're in a brutal division, and have an entirely new coaching staff that's never worked together with a first time HC.

Fans are expecting 24 win type stuff first two years like McVay, but 10 win type stuff first two years like shanahan is more realistic.
I myself wasn't expecting any miracles when Carroll signed on and I won't with MM as well. I'm just trying to see what the effects are with MM and the current salary cap situation he has been given. It would be a miracle if we saw a Super Bowl within the next 5 years. Stranger things have happened however. I personally see what Carroll and Wilson did together was perhaps a once in a generation type event. I'm very anxious to see how MM will fare over the next several seasons and that's why I watch football. Exciting things are on the horizon.

bigcc

Reaction score
I myself wasn't expecting any miracles when Carroll signed on and I won't with MM as well. I'm just trying to see what the effects are with MM and the current salary cap situation he has been given. It would be a miracle if we saw a Super Bowl within the next 5 years. Stranger things have happened however. I personally see what Carroll and Wilson did together was perhaps a once in a generation type event. I'm very anxious to see how MM will fare over the next several seasons and that's why I watch football. Exciting things are on the horizon.
A lot can happen in 5 years.....

If you count the playoff game, Houston won as many games this year as the previous 3 combined.

All it took was the right new rookie qb and now they have a blindingly bright future.

EDIT: and a great new defensive minded young 1st time HC..... Hmmmm

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Year 3 contract out clause? If you're talking about the out spotrac shows that's literally for right now..... Until 2/16

Geno has played in two offenses the past decade, and he was a bust in one of them..... and he was here two years before named starter, why is anyone

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...ings-seattle-seahawks-geno-smith-pete-carroll

He has an out in his three-year, $75 million contract in 2024 if the Seahawks feel inclined

What does his time in New York have to do with what he's doing now?? He's playing above average ball, who cares what he did before. Why would you assume he can't pick up a new system, especially after people have talked at length about how MM likes to adapt his systems with what his players do well? Geno has 10 years of experience in the NFL with 4 different teams he has way more valuable experience to help him adapt than a rookie would. Of course there's no guarantees but we're talking likelihoods here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Purdy has been really good though. He's made a ton of plays off script when stuff breaks down. I know I'm in the minority on this site but he's had a really great year even when you factor in his supporting cast. I thought the same thing as everyone else and after watching 5-6 games I had to admit to myself he's a better QB than I thought he was. I don't expect to change anyone's mind but that's how I see it.

I disagree on Geno but I do admit you may very well be right all things considered and I think it's what John will do. I'm fascinated to see what he does with this!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Stafford turned 36 today lol, and the lions got rid of him at 33 like geno is and now have their qb of the future. Russell Wilson was traded at.... 33...and now doesn't have a team after being benched and cut.

I know that's not what you were going for, but you're unintentionally proving my point.

You skipped rodgers btw, he's playing this year.

EDIT: if we were contending for a playoff run, you DEFINITELY keep him, but we have an entirely new coaching staff, geno is not the right guy unfortunately due to the situation, but it's reality
The Lions didn't get rid of Stafford he asked to be traded.

RW# was traded because he was going to want a huge contract not because of his age.

I didn't skip anything, my post wasn't intended to talk about the oldest QB's but to show Geno's comparative age because PNW25 wasn't sure how old he was.

You don't know, none of us does, if Geno is the right guy until an OC is hired.

bigcc

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...ings-seattle-seahawks-geno-smith-pete-carroll

What does his time in New York have to do with what he's doing now?? He's playing above average ball, who cares what he did before. Why would you assume he can't pick up a new system, especially after people have talked at length about how MM likes to adapt his systems with what his players do well? Geno has 10 years of experience in the NFL with 4 different teams he has way more valuable experience to help him adapt than a rookie would. Of course there's no guarantees but we're talking likelihoods here.
Yes..... That out is literally right now, it goes away on the 16th, they can't use it whenever they want lol. Also, in your hypothetical situation he's on the team two more years, he's a free agent then, there's nobody to use an out on even if they could use it whenever.

It doesn't have much at all to do with it, I was just illustrating a point.

Of course he has more experience, and he'd likely be better than a rookie qb, but that's not necessarily better for the team's future.

Geno is win now qb, but not good enough for a deep playoff run, especially with the state of the team. There's no point keeping him around for mediocre seasons when numerous QB's available at 16 could likely still be in the same range, except now the qb of the future has a year of nfl experience under his belt.

bigcc

Reaction score
The Lions didn't get rid of Stafford he asked to be traded.

RW# was traded because he was going to want a huge contract not because of his age.

I didn't skip anything, my post wasn't intended to talk about the oldest QB's but to show Geno's comparative age because PNW25 wasn't sure how old he was.

You don't know, none of us does, if Geno is the right guy until an OC is hired.
You missed my point, the teams that got rid of their 33 year old qb are glad they did. I couldn't care less why they did it I care about the result.

Either you or I don't know what "top 3 in age" is I guess.

I DO know geno's not the right guy due to his age. He's not qb of the future and you're ignoring reality if you don't acknowledge that. A 34 year old qb staying on the same roster isn't going to make a jump over the previous two years, and this isn't a playoff run roster.

Nows the time to move on, kicking the can to next year just ends up with the same discussion next February.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Yes..... That out is literally right now, it goes away on the 16th, they can't use it whenever they want lol. Also, in your hypothetical situation he's on the team two more years, he's a free agent then, there's nobody to use an out on even if they could use it whenever.

It doesn't have much at all to do with it, I was just illustrating a point.

Of course he has more experience, and he'd likely be better than a rookie qb, but that's not necessarily better for the team's future.

Geno is win now qb, but not good enough for a deep playoff run, especially with the state of the team. There's no point keeping him around for mediocre seasons when numerous QB's available at 16 could likely still be in the same range, except now the qb of the future has a year of nfl experience under his belt.
It doesn't matter if the exit is 2/16/24 we need Geno to keep the team afloat short term. Not because of a playoff run or that he's the future but because it keeps the team treading water at the minimum. Cutting Geno and drafting a rookie QB and throwing him out there whether ready or not could go horribly wrong. The stats on the success of rookie QB's is mixed. Since it's THE most important position on the team and I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not do that.