Our Offseason Free Agent Budget?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
You missed my point, the teams that got rid of their 33 year old qb are glad they did. I couldn't care less why they did it I care about the result.

Either you or I don't know what "top 3 in age" is I guess.

I DO know geno's not the right guy due to his age. He's not qb of the future and you're ignoring reality if you don't acknowledge that. A 34 year old qb staying on the same roster isn't going to make a jump over the previous two years, and this isn't a playoff run roster.

Nows the time to move on, kicking the can to next year just ends up with the same discussion next February.
That is not what you said, you said:
Stafford turned 36 today lol, and the lions got rid of him at 33
They didn't want Stafford to leave. Yes they got a ton of draft capital and a decent QB in the process and it turned out ok but that was not what they wanted. With Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell they would have gotten there eventually anyway.

I wasn't trying to show the top 3 in age, as I said, just trying to show other successful QB's that are about his age.

Never said Geno was the QB of the future. I've actually said he's the QB for 1-2 years and that's it. 1-2 years is what MM may need to find "his guy". If he can't get his guy this year then it's next year plus time for development.

You seem to think every rookie can come in and do what Stroud did. That's not the case. For every Stroud there's also an RG3 or a Zack Wilson. If you don't have to rush a rookie into the starting lineup why do it and potentially ruin their chance to be good?

You could argue this may be the most important decision JS/MM makes for the future of the franchise.

bigcc

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the exit is 2/16/24 we need Geno to keep the team afloat short term. Not because of a playoff run or that he's the future but because it keeps the team treading water at the minimum. Cutting Geno and drafting a rookie QB and throwing him out there whether ready or not could go horribly wrong. The stats on the success of rookie QB's is mixed. Since it's THE most important position on the team and I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not do that.
I would probably normally agree with you, but not with us in such a hole cap wise.

Schneider didn't structure the out in geno's contract for giggles, he knew this was the cap situation coming up. I don't want geno to go, but I want 22.5 to stay more than geno. It's the reality of the game

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I would probably normally agree with you, but not with us in such a hole cap wise.

Schneider didn't structure the out in geno's contract for giggles, he knew this was the cap situation coming up. I don't want geno to go, but I want 22.5 to stay more than geno. It's the reality of the game
The cap situation can be fixed by reworking or cutting players like Adams, Diggs, Lockett and others plus the annual cap increase. Which means you could be over the cap by a little come next season. The following off-season you would have a lot more flexibility.

bigcc

Reaction score
That is not what you said, you said:

They didn't want Stafford to leave. Yes they got a ton of draft capital and a decent QB in the process and it turned out ok but that was not what they wanted. With Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell they would have gotten there eventually anyway.

I wasn't trying to show the top 3 in age, as I said, just trying to show other successful QB's that are about his age.

Never said Geno was the QB of the future. I've actually said he's the QB for 1-2 years and that's it. 1-2 years is what MM may need to find "his guy". If he can't get his guy this year then it's next year plus time for development.

You seem to think every rookie can come in and do what Stroud did. That's not the case. For every Stroud there's also an RG3 or a Zack Wilson. If you don't have to rush a rookie into the starting lineup why do it and potentially ruin their chance to be good?

You could argue this may be the most important decision JS/MM makes for the future of the franchise.
I said they got rid of him.... It doesn't matter if it was begrudgingly, that just makes him more similar to geno 😂, I don't want him to go but it's the reality of the situation, like Stafford.. Doesn't matter if it's the qb himself or the cap room chiming in. Thanks for proving my point again I hadn't thought of that either.

Rg3 took the commanders to the playoffs his rookie year too 😂, his career simmered because of injuries, ironically he proves both of our points because of his success early, but his injury history was similar to penix's.

I hated zach coming out, but yes, QB's become busts, so assuming that no matter what we draft a bust, we either lose with one now, or whenever geno retires the next two years.

I'd prefer it be at the beginning of reframing the entire organization than the middle, but you do you

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I said they got rid of him.... It doesn't matter if it was begrudgingly, that just makes him more similar to geno 😂, I don't want him to go but it's the reality of the situation, like Stafford.. Doesn't matter if it's the qb himself or the cap room chiming in. Thanks for proving my point again I hadn't thought of that either.

Rg3 took the commanders to the playoffs his rookie year too 😂, his career simmered because of injuries, ironically he proves both of our points because of his success early, but his injury history was similar to penix's.

I hated zach coming out, but yes, QB's become busts, so assuming that no matter what we draft a bust, we either lose with one now, or whenever geno retires the next two years.

I'd prefer it be at the beginning of reframing the entire organization than the middle, but you do you
The didn't "get rid of him", he left, there's a difference.

Geno's $31.2M for 2024 puts him at #12 for starting QB's in 2024. That rank is a little deceiving as #10-15 all make between $35.7M-$27.6M, at rank #7 the numbers go up a lot:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/

Even if you decide to go with a rookie you're still gonna be right back to $30M a year in a couple of years if they do well.

So instead of RG3 how about Johnny Manziel, Bailey Zappe, David Carr? Who knows what could have happened had these players be given time to learn how to play ball in the NFL.

bigcc

Reaction score
The didn't "get rid of him", he left, there's a difference.

Geno's $31.2M for 2024 puts him at #12 for starting QB's in 2024. That rank is a little deceiving as #10-15 all make between $35.7M-$27.6M, at rank #7 the numbers go up a lot:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/

Even if you decide to go with a rookie you're still gonna be right back to $30M a year in a couple of years if they do well.

So instead of RG3 how about Johnny Manziel, Bailey Zappe, David Carr? Who knows what could have happened had these players be given time to learn how to play ball in the NFL.
You’re right, I was thinking of Stafford/russ lumped together so I used "get rid", but my point was they decided to not have him be qb the next year, reason doesn't matter we're arguing semantics.

Draft spot pay is set, it's not set for this year yet but last year the #16 pick last year got 4 years 15.5 million dollars with a TEAM 5th year option. If they suck you can move on after a year or two because it won't hamstring you financially.

That's my entire point, and LOL@ manziel, he threw 35 passes his rookie year and his second pass was week 12. THE BROWNS DID WHAT YOU'RE SUGGESTING

Zappe was a FOURTH round pick who has been trash, you've completely lost me.

Carr kind of works I guess, but I've already acknowledged busts, at least 2/5 taken in the 1st probably will be, guess what the hit rate is in later rounds?

chris98251

Reaction score
So Stafford wanted to win and got to go to the Rams, consolation prize Goff was sent to Detroit and was on the verge of being labeled a career back up or bust, they fixed him and now are happy as hell, Hooker is the QBOTF, but a unknown coming off a full season of IR to let him get right. So with that do they dump Goff for Hooker since he makes more money?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
710 seems to think Geno, DK and Lockett won't be on the roster together in their current contracts. They thought it could be DK who is the one traded for a first round pick rather than a Lockett restructure. Also suggested if Kelly is the OC he may not like Geno.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
710 seems to think Geno, DK and Lockett won't be on the roster together in their current contracts. They thought it could be DK who is the one traded for a first round pick rather than a Lockett restructure. Also suggested if Kelly is the OC he may not like Geno.
Trade the 26 year old stud to keep two players who won’t even be on your roster in a couple years?

Only way I could justify trading DK is if it somehow factored into moving up for the 2nd pick and Daniels.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Trade the 26 year old stud to keep two players who won’t even be on your roster in a couple years?

Only way I could justify trading DK is if it somehow factored into moving up for the 2nd pick and Daniels.
DT like Byron Murphy and a QB in the mid first possibly. They keep saying McCarthy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how someone I put on ignore proves WHY. He was a beast in college. If you don't how good McIntosh is, I'm not sure what you were watching.
And for the record Sun, there are plenty of guys who played in the NFL who have talked about how damn good McIntosh is. I'll go ahead and take their opinion of the guy every time.
So, because he because didn't get used with the Hawks last year, he somehow isn't a hell of a player.

FFS, this place sometimes.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They didn't sign him to 6 years (!) to get rid of him if he starts slow, the opposite really.

Fans won't like it because carroll spoiled fans (people literally think he's trash for going 9-8), but people need a reality check. We're in a brutal division, and have an entirely new coaching staff that's never worked together with a first time HC.

Fans are expecting 24 win type stuff first two years like McVay, but 10 win type stuff first two years like shanahan is more realistic.
My thought exactly I'm fully prepared and expect a start like Campbell or Shanahan a couple of years of 5-12ish and then watch out.