Free Agent Targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Vita Vea might actually be there at even 20 something in the draft due to people thinking he's a NT only. We can trade down, get him, and Michel in the 2nd or probably Perry in the 3rd if we go OL in the 2nd from a couple trade downs.

I see a lot of Haloti Ngata here.

[youtube]P2MBuoepc1I[/youtube]

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3sbj8eyz said:
Vita Vea might actually be there at even 20 something in the draft due to people thinking he's a NT only. We can trade down, get him, and Michel in the 2nd or probably Perry in the 3rd if we go OL in the 2nd from a couple trade downs.

I see a lot of Haloti Ngata here.

[youtube]P2MBuoepc1I[/youtube]

I am Wazzu but I would not be against this. This guy can play. Watched him, as many probably did, make a ridiculous tackle on special teams. Says a lot for a fatty that can tackle in the open field. Hell of a player. Definitely see the Ngata comparison.

seahawkfreak":3sbj8eyz said:
Wow!!!! What a tackle by Vea.

Said this Dec 30th.

Seen a lot of mock drafts putting him in the top 10 and 15 though.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Who has he played against? You get a big DT out of the SEC, Big 10, ACC, those guys have battled in the trenches but a DT from the puff 10 league would be a risky pick that high.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1hhqsqif said:
Who has he played against? You get a big DT out of the SEC, Big 10, ACC, those guys have battled in the trenches but a DT from the puff 10 league would be a risky pick that high.

Danny Shelton was the 12th pick in 2015. Vea is almost as big and faster than Shelton. I could see him being taken anywhere in the top 20. Not only is he big, he has quickness and speed to be a 3-tech. I think he would be a great pick for the Seahawks should they get him.

Back to the topic of FA, has Gary Barnidge retired? If not, he may the type of TE that fits the coach's philosophy. Maybe a good replacement for Graham.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
QuickLightning":xe9sxd1n said:
original poster":xe9sxd1n said:
Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

(If he doesn’t get tagged)

So you expecting Baldwin and someone else big gets cut? Because no way in hell can the Seahawks afford Robinson today.

Can't see Baldwin getting cut.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2f26fq1f said:
jammerhawk":2f26fq1f said:
Keeping our own, just those that the team wants to keep is going to be tough. Adding more than one or two low level FAs will be also tough.

Cap purgatory is on the team and the FO is gong to have to make some big changes before any FA moves can be made.
So letting JG,Lacey,Lane,PRich and Luke J go doesn't get us 1 FA?

Certainly not saying the team won't acquire one or two cheap FAs. I just am saying the team will struggle some this offseason to keep those of our own they want to keep. JG, PRich, Luke J, each don'y return any cap to the team as their contracts have expired, only Lane does give the team something too play with.

Just saying don't expect JS to be very active in FA.

Letting those guys go will most likely cause the team to acquire a comp. pick or two in next year's draft though.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":z3owcfjn said:
IndyHawk":z3owcfjn said:
jammerhawk":z3owcfjn said:
Keeping our own, just those that the team wants to keep is going to be tough. Adding more than one or two low level FAs will be also tough.

Cap purgatory is on the team and the FO is gong to have to make some big changes before any FA moves can be made.
So letting JG,Lacey,Lane,PRich and Luke J go doesn't get us 1 FA?

Certainly not saying the team won't acquire one or two cheap FAs. I just am saying the team will struggle some this offseason to keep those of our own they want to keep. JG, PRich, Luke J, each don'y return any cap to the team as their contracts have expired, only Lane does give the team something too play with.

Just saying don't expect JS to be very active in FA.

None of those guys were on the cap and the cap is from hell ATM. The only one that should fit is PRich, and to me it's a choice between he and Locket. I think Locket comes back strong and PRich is a luxury we cannot afford personally.

And no, they aren't cutting Baldwin...come on man.

They cash out players with bonus $$ and push back contract money on the basis of trust they are keepers. 1 Was Baldwin then 2 was Wilson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Baldwin??? Thought OP just wanted to add Allen Robinson.

Who said anything about actually cutting him? Wasn’t that just speculation based upon positional need?

Of the guys mentioned all were UFAs save Lane who will be traded or cut, and only there is any cap relief if he is actually released or traded. The team is a better team without Graham (poor fit) Joeckel ( not very good as a G), and Lacy (for obvious reasons). I’d like to keep PRich but agree that renewing NoE is likely more important to the team. Besides I think Richardson is likely to be overpriced and our new OC has a history of preferring bigger WRs and Richardson is not exactly the sturdiest and injury free prospect for renewal.

Until the team frees some cap there just isn’t the money for much to happen in free agency. If that happens I’d still be unlikely to believe that JS will be very active in FA. Maybe one deal but not much of anything exciting. If however there is some cap room acquired keeping S Richardson might be a high priority.

Time will tell, I’m sure there will be some surprises that many will disagree with.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/963793768343330817[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/963929751500009477[/tweet]
Wilkerson on a prove it deal?
Jets will cut Muhammad Wilkerson, just a matter of when

Jets defensive lineman has made $37 million the last two seasons, but the Jets made him a healthy scratch the last two games of the season just to keep him from getting hurt.

Because it appears obvious that he’s going to be released, with the only question when.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, the cut will come before March 16, or his $16.75 million salary will be guaranteed for the year. And after a season marked by benchings for tardiness and general non-leadership, it’s clear they’re tired of having him around.

If they eat the dead money up front, they’ll clear $11 million in cap space. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, they can push it to $17 million in immediate space.

The Jets already have $75 million worth of cap room, as they prepare for another quarterback search and a potential run at Kirk Cousins, but it seems getting rid of Wilkerson is worth it to them regardless of fiscal benefit. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-of-when/
[youtube]9_Pp5DjpZuY[/youtube]

DJrmb

Reaction score
massari":3gzmj6mf said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/963793768343330817[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/963929751500009477[/tweet]
Wilkerson on a prove it deal?
Jets will cut Muhammad Wilkerson, just a matter of when

Jets defensive lineman has made $37 million the last two seasons, but the Jets made him a healthy scratch the last two games of the season just to keep him from getting hurt.

Because it appears obvious that he’s going to be released, with the only question when.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, the cut will come before March 16, or his $16.75 million salary will be guaranteed for the year. And after a season marked by benchings for tardiness and general non-leadership, it’s clear they’re tired of having him around.

If they eat the dead money up front, they’ll clear $11 million in cap space. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, they can push it to $17 million in immediate space.

The Jets already have $75 million worth of cap room, as they prepare for another quarterback search and a potential run at Kirk Cousins, but it seems getting rid of Wilkerson is worth it to them regardless of fiscal benefit. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-of-when/
[youtube]9_Pp5DjpZuY[/youtube]
Guys like these are definitely ones to keep an eye on because any players that are cut do not factor against Seattle for Comp picks. I could definitely see them kicking the tires on Wilkerson to see if he'll play on a prove it deal.

I am a believer that money won't really be an issue for anyone they really want. There is plenty of money they can free up with things like extending Earl, extending Sherman, cutting Avril/Bennett, extending Duane Brown, etc. if there is a guy they decide they can't live without. The bigger factor in signing free agents in my opinion will be compensatory picks. The way things are structured they will need to reload after this coming season with a lot of draft picks. Compensatory picks over the next two season will be really important to make that happen while maintaining competitiveness and still competing to be in the playoffs.

massari

Reaction score
DJrmb":10jcgw9k said:
There is plenty of money they can free up with things like extending Earl, extending Sherman, cutting Avril/Bennett, extending Duane Brown, etc.
Curious why some (John Clayton,bloggers,posters) keep talking about cutting Bennett? Guy just made the Pro Bowl playing with plantar fasciitis all season and will only have a $7.3M cap hit this coming season and an $8.7 in 2019. Those are really great numbers for a versatile Pro Bowl DL.

If they can get a 2nd or early 3rd for him, then I'd deal him to free up some cap room and get younger. No way I'm cutting him though.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/965337942481866764[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/965339439068102656[/tweet]

DJrmb

Reaction score
massari":3g8t2apq said:
DJrmb":3g8t2apq said:
There is plenty of money they can free up with things like extending Earl, extending Sherman, cutting Avril/Bennett, extending Duane Brown, etc.
Curious why some (John Clayton,bloggers,posters) keep talking about cutting Bennett? Guy just made the Pro Bowl playing with plantar fasciitis all season and will only have a $7.3M cap hit this coming season and an $8.7 in 2019. Those are really great numbers for a versatile Pro Bowl DL.

If they can get a 2nd or early 3rd for him, then I'd deal him to free up some cap room and get younger. No way I'm cutting him though.
A 2 or 3 for Bennett probably is not realistic. You'd probably be looking at something similar to what they did with Marshawn (conditional 5th or 6th). I'm not really for cutting Bennett just to free up cap space, but I would be for doing so if they have a targeted player in mind that they want to sign long term and know they can't without Bennett's money...

nategreat

Reaction score
This should not have been bumped, now people will be putting 2019 free agency stuff in here, not realizing it's a year old thread.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
nategreat":21lavgb8 said:
This should not have been bumped, now people will be putting 2019 free agency stuff in here, not realizing it's a year old thread.

I would like to see the Hawks entertain Dee Ford so he can be our new Michael Bennett...

massari

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":hg1e3zn8 said:
Bump as most of these guys had meh seasons
Probably because there are only cheap prove it type players, potential diamond in the rough players and guys who were thought to be signed for cheaper than they did mentioned, outside of Andrew Norwell.

Shit bump, Steven.

chris98251

Reaction score
Should be locked, but since it is here, we have signed Graham and Harvin as big deal guys and gave up the moon for them. Typically in the F.A. pool we go with fringe guys or a supporting guys that doesn't get the recognition, Bennett and Avril, or a Clemons come to mind and say prove it and we will reward you, they have shown that it isn't just words by doing so each time. Kendricks and Mingo are two we have sort of done that with also, will be interesting to see how we deal with them. Coleman has been rewarded as well as McDougald now. You come here and perform you get a chance and the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.