Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Well, we already have like ten picks this year. I would rather have the picks in '14 and '15.

More importantly, that is savings of 4.5 and 8.5M over the next two years, if I read this contract info right. Roll it over; we have guys to pay.

Also, Flynn is going to (finally) win a starting job in Oakland, so that conditional pick should turn out to be an optimal pick for us.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3an3l19z said:
The savings this year is only about $2 million

$3.25m saving this year. Also saves us cutting him in a year, he was never seeing $8.25m. We basically gave up one year of Flynn as a backup for some picks plus $3.25m in cap. Can't argue with that IMO.

osprey3263":3an3l19z said:
next step time to go get Colt McCoy! :D

Please, no.

Plus he'd actually cost picks plus $2m+ so can't see it.

JonRud

Reaction score
Bye Matt! You were one of my favorite Hawks even with the short stay. Great job mopping up the Cards and Bills games. Best of luck in Oakland.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Love it. I'm betting these are going to be a bit higher picks because they come in future drafts

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1oltbgft said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Picks in Flynn-to-OAK deal are a pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015.

Nothing this year, it appears

This leads me to belive the deal was more about giving Flynn a chance to start, more than anything else. I know there's thinking that maybe this frees up money for Kam, but I'm not sure Kam would get more on the open market.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1vsaoer9 said:
Love it. I'm betting these are going to be a bit higher picks because they come in future drafts

It still says late round picks. So maybe we got a 6th instead of a 7th?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3p2wmbg3 said:
Two late round picks according to Jay Glazer:

"@JayGlazer 3m
The 2 picks the Raiders sent for Flynn are in 2014 and 2015 draft. Both are later rounds"

As I suspected and told those of you all along.... Not getting high picks for Flynn.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I liked Flynn when we got him and still do, but I think most of us saw the writing on the wall. Two late round picks (and none from this year) proves they wanted to get Flynn out of here at pretty much any cost...

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":2s685d8v said:
AbsolutNET":2s685d8v said:
This leads me to belive the deal was more about giving Flynn a chance to start, more than anything else. I know there's thinking that maybe this frees up money for Kam, but I'm not sure Kam would get more on the open market.

It frees up money period. Doesn't matter where it goes, doesn't matter if we spend it this year as the CAP now rolls over. The whole money thinking has changed with a rolling cap. A dollar saved today is a dollar you can spend tomorrow (on Sherman or RW....)

This was about money and the picks are "bonus"

pehawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2mqfdiic said:
I don't like it.

Something smells funny...

I think thats because the move was more about Flynn, and maintaining the Hawks rep of doing right by their players, than anything else. It was a freebie year for the Hawks.

mikeak

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":fxr7ritw said:
mikeak":fxr7ritw said:
The savings this year is only about $2 million

$3.25m saving this year. Also saves us cutting him in a year, he was never seeing $8.25m. We basically gave up one year of Flynn as a backup for some picks plus $3.25m in cap. Can't argue with that IMO.

Thanks for the correction - but you misrepresented my post. I wasn't arguing against it I was showing how on top of the $3.25 you saved an additional $4 million as I agree with you 100% we would have cut him next year which would have been a $4million cap hit on top of the $7.25 million this year

The trade was great

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
General raider fan reaction?

"Dude couldn't even beat out a rookie QB"

They must not have noticed which rookie he couldn't beat.... Wilson would beat out all but 5 or 6 qbs in true competition... And most of them are named Brady or Manning

A

Anonymous

pehawk":3i1dw4os said:
HoustonHawk82":3i1dw4os said:
I don't like it.

Something smells funny...

I think thats because the move was more about Flynn, and maintaining the Hawks rep of doing right by their players, than anything else. It was a freebie year for the Hawks.

All right then, I can swallow that.

All we can do, then, is wait for the details to emerge.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Best of luck to you Flynn. Guessing we draft a Matt Scott and bring Thigpen on board for cheap.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2grxn8tr said:

Not this again...

:229031_cheers:

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Best of luck in Oakland Flynn! I think he earns that spot and I hope he lights it up there.

Looks like AZ is going to get Palmer, which is fine by me. I think he is washed up... they'd be better off running out Stanton.

Wonder who the new backup in Seattle will be? We are in the market for a quarterback, again! :34853_doh:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hawksfanatik":2dpwoja6 said:
Looks like AZ is going to get Palmer, which is fine by me. I think he is washed up... they'd be better off running out Stanton.

He is 34, right? I think he is a slight upgrade over Stanton at this point in time, but not that much. This is sort of a perplexing move for the Cards. If they were 8-8 and trying to get two more wins a year to get into playoff range, okay. But right now? They should be trying to find a QB that is still young. Starting Stanton and drafting a guy they like seemed smart to me.