Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
253hawk":3fiqoh7d said:
Does he think he's Johnny Manziel now or something? These are the socks he wore at the following press conference:

Good god is this douche full of himself.

Gift from a friend and had them on by chance for practice before the negotiations even started.

From the press conference:

The three most expensive things I own are my TV, my bed and my couch. I'm going to keep it that way for a while," Kaepernick said Wednesday upon signing a deal worth up to $126 million.

Given that you're copying over the picture you probably already know this though, so I'll get out of the way of the continued trying too hard that I'm sure is to follow. ;)

253hawk

Reaction score
Must be an expensive TV, bed and couch if his $100K Jaguar doesn't even crack the top 3.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":w79dmvop said:
253hawk":w79dmvop said:
Does he think he's Johnny Manziel now or something? These are the socks he wore at the following press conference:

Good god is this douche full of himself.

Gift from a friend and had them on by chance for practice before the negotiations even started.

From the press conference:

The three most expensive things I own are my TV, my bed and my couch. I'm going to keep it that way for a while," Kaepernick said Wednesday upon signing a deal worth up to $126 million.

Given that you're copying over the pictures you probably already know this though, so I'll get out of the way of the continued trying too hard that I'm sure is to follow. ;)
Turtles love buying socks. That is the only thing that brings them happiness, free Sammy!

Jville

Reaction score
Contract reads like a convoluted mess to me. Something lawyers for an insurance company might write.

The full Kaepernick contract details>>>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/[/urltargetblank]

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

Curious inclusion of April Fools Day.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Jville":1092cfvg said:
Contract reads like a convoluted mess to me. Something lawyers for an insurance company might write.

The full Kaepernick contract details>>>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/[/urltargetblank]

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

Curious inclusion of April Fools Day.

Damn, they covered their ass for WHEN Kaeperchoke doesn't pan out. I doubt he sees the third year of this contract before the world realizes how bad he is at QB.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":2bvrsgz1 said:
kearly":2bvrsgz1 said:
The second reason it's good news is because Kaepernick is a structure dependent QB and you wonder how he will fare post-Harbaugh. Harbaugh would be coaching a different NFL team this very instant if not for his wife vetoing the deal, and the SF FO wouldn't consent to a trade unless they felt Harbaugh's future in SF was short-lived. I don't expect Harbaugh to be in SF two years from now. What happens to Kaepernick then? Especially if since some of his current weapons may not be on the roster a couple years from now.

Source on the wife veto? I have not read that anywhere and I try to read any and all articles pertaining to the Niners.

Maybe he's thinking about his wife vetoing his move to be Dolphins coach instead of 49ers after 2010 season.

I don't even know that that actually happened, but would make a ton more sense to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3v07291s said:
Balke is good it seems. Damn.
Looks like he was able to leverage the threat of waiting another year to pay Kaepernick to get some team-friendly terms, yeah. Damn.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Wow the 49ers raped him in this deal. Why would he agree to this?

"The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury."

Thats gotta suck. If I were Kapernick, Id give Baalke the big FU in contract negotiations and just play out his deal instead of agreeing to this. 49ers fleeced him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":evrcsqcs said:
This isn't as big an overpay as the media makes it out to be. Right now slightly above average QBs are making close to $20 million. I think if Kaepernick were to reach UFA next offseason this is the kind of contract he'd probably get from some team.

Still, this is good news for a couple reasons. The first is that you can't possibly argue Kaepernick is a bargain anymore. He's not a "moneyball" type asset at this kind of salary. Even if Kaepernick improves dramatically next season with four good targets to throw to and is a no-doubt elite QB, his salary would only be par for the course.

The second reason it's good news is because Kaepernick is a structure dependent QB and you wonder how he will fare post-Harbaugh. Harbaugh would be coaching a different NFL team this very instant if not for his wife vetoing the deal, and the SF FO wouldn't consent to a trade unless they felt Harbaugh's future in SF was short-lived. I don't expect Harbaugh to be in SF two years from now. What happens to Kaepernick then? Especially if since some of his current weapons may not be on the roster a couple years from now.

I know CK gives douchey interviews but he was not like that pre-Harbaugh. He strikes me as a good person, I am very happy for his family who adopted him as a child that they get to enjoy this moment.

Which is why I have not been excoriating the deal. Ant team that wants to retain a more than replacement level QB is going to pay the guy between 15 and 20 million. It is the new NFL.

And Kaep is a matchup nightmare. If he ever gets his QB skills to approach his athletic skills, he will be the best in the league.
I actually think it is Fangio's offense that is slowing his development as a read and react QB.

757Niner

Reaction score
253hawk":97b3ogy5 said:
Must be an expensive TV, bed and couch if his $100K Jaguar doesn't even crack the top 3.

I'm sure the car is free, since he does have an endorsement deal with Jaguar. That's usually how those things work.

757Niner

Reaction score
JZ#1":1ddwae75 said:

"The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury."

Thats gotta suck. If I were Kapernick, Id give Baalke the big FU in contract negotiations and just play out his deal instead of agreeing to this. 49ers fleeced him.

He's betting on himself. I think any fanbase would want their QB being rewarded by what he WILL DO, not what he's already done. His contract is set up in a way that ensures that. Team friendly deal and if he performs on the field, he'll see a good portion of the money. He also asked that it would be structured in a way that they could re-sign other players, hence the measly 12 mil signing bonus. So when you get around all the fluff, he was bargain re-sign and probably could have fetched a helluva lot more on the open market. Baalke and Marthe are somewhere still high-fiving themselves.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

Holy crap! 49ers got an amazing deal. Only $13m guaranteed!! Lots of fluff in the contract. Those exorbitant numbers only come into effect if the 49ers make the playoffs or if Kap is injured. Even then, he has to pay $20m if he suffers a career ending injury.

Kap didn't lie. This is the most team-friendly deal in this new QB-contract era.

Sure, most likely Kap will see closer to the original numbers in the contract. But, the 49ers undoubtedly have room to resign/extend other players

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

757Niner

Reaction score
dunceface":3um4fbas said:
Kap is an effective QB anyone should be able to admit that
but even the niner defender brigade in here can admit that he has been mostly been owned by our D because we are the better team
and that's what we are happy about (especially if a person is pretending to be a Seahawks fan)

Oh absolutely, he has been pretty much overwhelmed by the Hawks D in Seattle. And some of that is Roman/Harbaugh being stubborn with the gameplan when playing at the Link. But most of it has been because he's still developing. Still has a ton to work on. People forget the reason he fell to the 2nd round....because he played in a gimmick offense in college and was viewed as a project entering the league.

But because the Hawks are the better team? Meh, they're the better team in Seattle that's for sure. But you haven't beaten us away from home in 3 years(might be 4 actually). Its a match-up predicated on home-field. I take nothing away from your team, you guys earned that SB trophy, so in that sense, yes your the world champs and everyone including us are looking up at you. But if the NFCCG game was played at The Stick, do you believe your still holding that Lombardi trophy ? I think any Hawks fan will admit the team isn't as dominant away from The Link. You sweep us this year, I'll say unequivocally, the Hawks are the better team. But I think the two teams are as even as even can be, with home-field tipping the scales and either direction. And the home team winning each match-up the last two years I think speaks to that.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
dunceface":y7wqg49w said:
Kap is an effective QB anyone should be able to admit that
but even the niner defender brigade in here can admit that he has been mostly been owned by our D because we are the better team
and that's what we are happy about (especially if a person is pretending to be a Seahawks fan)
I disagree with this. Kap might have "been owned by your D..." But I won't concede the Seahawks are the better team. They certainly were better last season. Remains to be seen this season

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
757Niner":78t5q5c6 said:
JZ#1":78t5q5c6 said:

He's betting on himself. I think any fanbase would want their QB being rewarded by what he WILL DO, not what he's already done. His contract is set up in a way that ensures that. Team friendly deal and if he performs on the field, he'll see a good portion of the money. He also asked that it would be structured in a way that they could re-sign other players, hence the measly 12 mil signing bonus. So when you get around all the fluff, he was bargain re-sign and probably could have fetched a helluva lot more on the open market. Baalke and Marthe are somewhere still high-fiving themselves.

Oh look... JZ got someone to respond to his posts, but wouldn't you know it? It is a Niner fan. Come on JZ... don't make me bump the shack post about you. Let it go man, bashing on Kaepertrip is fine, but pretending to do it as a Seahawks fan is not healthy.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
So he signs a contract that gives the team all of the leverage and viewed by most as a below market contract, right before Cam, Russell, RGIII and luck get paid.

Hmm, I wonder if he's the type of player that would, oh, I dunno...hold out for more money? Make waves? Raise a stink like a real Dbag?

Nah, Niners fans have NOTHING to worry about I am sure.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I have to give it to Trent Baalke; he fleeced the hell out of Kaepernick and his agents on this one.

Kaepernick could have walked after this year and got that conditional money (and probably more) guaranteed by some QB needy team. He really had little reason to take a deal like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.