Geno extension...???

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
There is literally people in here arguing that we should sign him before the season is over.
I am one of those people thinking it is worth considering, but you stated after four games someone is saying sign him long term. Your spin is clearly disingenuous, yet to be expected. If the price is right and Geno continues to excel it would be foolish not to sign him.

It seems then you don't agree to signing him regardless of his production going forward which is your prerogative to believe. But you clearly are responding as if someone or anyone has said sign him after 4 games of good production. As I stated, I haven't seen anyone say anything of the sort. Your feelings are yours to share if you choose, but feelings don't make for a cogent argument.

Black-white. Yes-no. All-nothing. Try thinking in the middle with nuance and based in evidence and you won't need to be so easily discounted for the extreme takes based upon solely what is happening inside your own head.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Geno keeps ballin like he’s the love child of Matt Hasselbeck and Russell Wilson but adopted and mentored by Tom Brady, then yeah I’d be fine with a 2-3 year deal, 15-25 performance based apy.

Or maybe we could trade him before the deadline to Denver for a 2024 1st and 2nd round pick plus Russell Wilson. Keep hearing this Wilson guy is good just needs the right offensive system, a more consistent O line, and more reliable weapons.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So far I love what Geno is doing,it's like he sat behind Russ for years
seeing and thinking what he would do that Russ cannot.
I'm seeing stuff I haven't seen in 10 very long years..
if Geno keeps showing up I'd love to see him extended before the seasons
over.He cannot control the defense in which he doesn't get the help Russ did.
so the playoffs or not shouldn't determine his fate.

knownone

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you consider signing him to an extension? Of course, four weeks into the season is too early to negotiate a deal, but I'm sure the Seahawk's FO is doing some cost/benefit analysis on how a deal would shape their long-term planning. I mean, even if he regresses, he's still proven he can be a bridge QB while we develop a young guy. So what's the issue?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I am one of those people thinking it is worth considering, but you stated after four games someone is saying sign him long term. Your spin is clearly disingenuous, yet to be expected. If the price is right and Geno continues to excel it would be foolish not to sign him.

It seems then you don't agree to signing him regardless of his production going forward which is your prerogative to believe. But you clearly are responding as if someone or anyone has said sign him after 4 games of good production. As I stated, I haven't seen anyone say anything of the sort. Your feelings are yours to share if you choose, but feelings don't make for a cogent argument.

Black-white. Yes-no. All-nothing. Try thinking in the middle with nuance and based in evidence and you won't need to be so easily discounted for the extreme takes based upon solely what is happening inside your own head.
I'm simply stating that it's too early to talk about resigning him. There is nothing wrong with that statement, some people are arguing after 10 games. I'm saying that we need calm the breaks at least a whole season to assess what we have.

Geno is not going to come cheap if he keeps playing like this, we're talking top tier QB money. I've seen people claim (not you) we can get him for some cut rate salary. That's not going to happen unless he has a drop off.

As far as signing Geno to a big salary, sure if he shows he can do it. I would prefer not to have him though -- i'd prefer a younger option that would allow us to leverage the salary cap kind of like we did with Wilson in his rookie contract.

Geno's playing good but my concern would be that the Seahawks are stuck with a passer taking a significant portion of the salary that is incapable of leading them to a Super Bowl ala Wilson. See where i'm coming from? I've also seen players play at a high level for a certain period of time and regress.

All that being said, I will say this. Geno has some attributes that look promising. Mainly his control of the game at the LOS. That is what I believe to be the most important aspect of his success right now. I'm not trashing the guy, I'm more of a "we need to wait and see" sort of approach. Geno will be a huge investment, whether he's right for the 'Hawks long term has yet to be seen.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It creates a quandry after the season. Surely they'll want him back, but also look to add a high draft pick. Ideally Geno starts 2023 and gives the rookie time to figure things out. Let's say Geno finished the year as an 'average' starter, he's going to make $15-$20M at least next year to come back. And we'll probably have to pay it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you consider signing him to an extension? Of course, four weeks into the season is too early to negotiate a deal, but I'm sure the Seahawk's FO is doing some cost/benefit analysis on how a deal would shape their long-term planning. I mean, even if he regresses, he's still proven he can be a bridge QB while we develop a young guy. So what's the issue?
Dead cap money could be a real SOB. Opportunity cost is also another issue, especially with a QB class coming up like this one. The Seahawks are likely weighing their options very carefully right now. I'm not opposed to signing the guy but I think it should probably be at the end of the year. This gives the FO time to assess the current QB crop coming out of college and weigh their options.

Geno is a good bridge QB, he's 10x the QB Tarvaris Jackson ever was. The issue here is signing a long term contract for 100+ million is not bridge QB status. You're committing the franchise to the guy.

I'm just really afraid of ending up tied to a Jared Goff, Tannehill or Jimmy Garoppolo sort of figure. Not that any of these guys are not bad QB's per-say but they also a tier or two below the elite passers in this league. Geno may very well end up being a good QB yet, it's just the franchise needs to bide its time right now. We have a lot of options and the franchise owes it to itself to explore all of them.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
NO.
WAY too early to be thinking in those terms. Yet
My initial reaction was similar to yours. However giving it a little more thought leads me to thinking that you better be pondering this question right now so you already know the answer for any scenario that plays out throughout the rest of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
My initial reaction was similar to yours. However giving it a little more thought leads me to thinking that you better be pondering this question right now so you already know the answer for any scenario that plays out throughout the rest of the season.
And I imagine that JS and PC are doing just that. As for fan speculation? It is what it is.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
If Geno keeps ballin like he’s the love child of Matt Hasselbeck and Russell Wilson but adopted and mentored by Tom Brady, then yeah I’d be fine with a 2-3 year deal, 15-25 performance based apy.

Or maybe we could trade him before the deadline to Denver for a 2024 1st and 2nd round pick plus Russell Wilson. Keep hearing this Wilson guy is good just needs the right offensive system, a more consistent O line, and more reliable weapons.
Talk about coming back with trail between legs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We barely beat a crappy Broncos team and almost lost a shootout with a terrible Lions team.
And he played good to great football in each case, especially the latter where the team had to put up 48 points to win in spite of their abysmal defense (which Pete deserves a healthy amount of blame for).

Wins aren't a quarterback stat, ESPECIALLY with this defense.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
And he played good to great football in each case, especially the latter where the team had to put up 48 points to win in spite of their abysmal defense (which Pete deserves a healthy amount of blame for).

Wins aren't a quarterback stat, ESPECIALLY with this defense.
Take a long look at how many points were scored against the Lions this year.

PHI L 38-35

WSH W 36-27

MIN L 28-24

SEA L 48-45

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I get feeling like it's too early to consider signing Geno to an extension, but here is where the opportunity cost goes the other way: If Geno keeps playing like this, he's going to demand a contract by the end of this year that's going to be in the realm of real starter money. The issue is, will it be Jimmy G money? Or Kirk Cousins money? Because Kirk Cousins is getting paid a lot to just be Kirk Cousins level good.

The idea that some have, of getting Geno to sign some not too big contract to sit there for a rookie QB to develop, requires getting Geno BEFORE a desperate team backs a Brinks truck up into his driveway next year, meaning if Pete and John are at all serious about keeping Geno, legit negotiations should be being had by week 9. (Only a month away).

I don't know the answer on this and won't pretend to. The correct answer will only be known in hindsight. What would I do? Personally, I'd negotiate with Geno soon (if he's still playing like this by the end of Week 6, for example) and try see if the fact that I gave him the starting shot gets me any kind of loyalty discount.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

PHI L 38-35

WSH W 36-27

MIN L 28-24

SEA L 48-45
So, what I'm seeing is that Seattle put up nearly 50 points, and 10 more than the only undefeated team remaining in the NFL while also winning the game in a fashion you implied that Geno is incapable of?

Interesting and cool.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about. The goalposts keep moving. He and his offense put up almost 50 and he has an excellent game, and now it's also somehow not any sort of real achievement because.. ya know, stuff?

BASF

Reaction score

PHI L 38-35

WSH W 36-27

MIN L 28-24

SEA L 48-45
Take a long look at how many touchdown drives the Broncos have given up this year. Hint, Geno Smith is tied for the most in a single game against them.