Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":322d9boa said:
Polaris":322d9boa said:
RolandDeschain":322d9boa said:
I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.
Actually, cutting Carlos Rogers freed up $6.6m on June 1st. Plus the $2.5m they saved from the Bowman restructuring= $9.3m in cap space.

Kap is still only getting paid $1m this season. So, all that cap space will assuredly carry over to next season.
Unless they prorate his signing bonus over the next 7 years and not the 6 in the extension. I doubt he's not getting anything at all when he signs the contract.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":3f00tttq said:
Polaris":3f00tttq said:
RolandDeschain":3f00tttq said:
I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.
Actually, cutting Carlos Rogers freed up $6.6m on June 1st. Plus the $2.5m they saved from the Bowman restructuring= $9.3m in cap space.

Kap is still only getting paid $1m this season. So, all that cap space will assuredly carry over to next season.

That's incorrect. Even if his 2014 salary isn't re-adjusted (which isn't guaranteed yet), a share of his signing bonus will hit the cap right away. His signing bonus will likely be quite large, but it will fit underneath the cap obviously. He'll probably have a $6-8M cap figure in 2014.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":18pazdwg said:
Front7vLOB":18pazdwg said:
Polaris":18pazdwg said:
RolandDeschain":18pazdwg said:

Unless they prorate his signing bonus over the next 7 years and not the 6 in the extension. I doubt he's not getting anything at all when he signs the contract.
True, either way, it's it's not like he is getting $61m over a 6 year period. It is $61m over a 7 year period

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Wowzers, good for him for getting paid. Kind of neat to be in a genuine division rivalry with two QB's that you know will be at the helm for a long, long time.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
DavidSeven":103x1rsz said:
Front7vLOB":103x1rsz said:
Polaris":103x1rsz said:
RolandDeschain":103x1rsz said:

That's incorrect. Even if his 2014 salary isn't re-adjusted (which isn't guaranteed yet), a share of his signing bonus will hit the cap right away. His signing bonus will likely be quite large, but it will fit underneath the cap obviously. He'll probably have a $6-8M cap figure in 2014.
Again, this is true. But that will reduce any guarantees he is due down the road. Again, you have to look at this as a 7 year contract, rather than a 6

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":xbcdr4b3 said:
Again, this is true. But that will reduce any guarantees he is due down the road. Again, you have to look at this as a 7 year contract, rather than a 6

Seattle structured all of its extensions this off-season the same way. E.g. Sherman's deal is worth $14.4M/yr in "new money" but $11.8m/yr over the remaining years he has under contract. Doing the deal early is the best way to go on players who were drafted late and are vastly over-performing on their rookie contract. Gives you the benefit of playing with the numbers like this a bit.

dunceface

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2x06ujjs said:
It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

That being said, RW will make even more. But I ain't worried. We already locked up our entire young core through at least 2018 and built all our key extensions around a model that obviously accounted for Wilson's payday. Smooth sailin' for us.

This.
I'm just glad our favorite whipping boy will be around for our guys to abuse for years to come!
Tumblr n6ny86TAcl1qlkvaio1 400
(And we all know his 1 win was because of Frank Gore)

253hawk

Reaction score
dunceface":1xvsm1f3 said:

Gore and the Immaculate Hold on Sherman.

KT8lQLA

Shoe stores everywhere are high-fiving right now.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
253hawk":3kl2sl4u said:
dunceface":3kl2sl4u said:

KT8lQLA

please, 49ers fans can say the same thing about the NFCCG

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 60s

Most unique aspect of Colin Kaepernick’s new deal: it contains $12 million in signing bonus, whereas most big QB deals are $24-$40 million.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 43s

Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The same thing about the NFC Championship game? Cry me a f'in river, Niners get away with as much as ANY team.
You lost, AGAIN to the Hawks. Hope you enjoyed the Superbowl.
Why is it that not ONE person in the media mentioned that Crabtree CLEARLY pushes off on Sherman on the Tip play, and still got owned?

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Looks like Kap asked for a small signing bonus so that the 49ers will have room to sign Crabtree..

And to SoulfishHawk, a fellow Hawk fan of yours whined first about the Candlestick loss. I don't walk around complaining.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Front7vLOB":dcrldew1 said:
253hawk":dcrldew1 said:
dunceface":dcrldew1 said:

KT8lQLA

You can, but it will sound pretty stupid.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good, they over paid that choker "captain one read". :) The whiners will regret this! It's wonderful news. Russ is going to get paid big reguardless of what gonzo got paid.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1yoc0gh0 said:
Front7vLOB":1yoc0gh0 said:
Polaris":1yoc0gh0 said:
RolandDeschain":1yoc0gh0 said:

Bonus is actually small by comparison......12 mil. 24-40 is normal for deals that size (quoting Adam Schefter)

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1ihck4gw said:
Front7vLOB":1ihck4gw said:
253hawk":1ihck4gw said:
dunceface":1ihck4gw said:

KT8lQLA

You can, but it will sound pretty stupid.
thread is getting off track. i guess i'll take responsibility for that..

Anyways, I think the 49ers and Kap both got what they wanted from the deal. It's rare to say that in the NFL (although, I would say the Hawks, ET, and Sherman also feel the same way about their respective deals)

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":3omh0if6 said:
DavidSeven":3omh0if6 said:
Front7vLOB":3omh0if6 said:
Polaris":3omh0if6 said:

Bonus is actually small by comparison......12 mil. 24-40 is normal for deals that size (quoting Adam Schefter)
yep, I'll admit that I am pretty uneducated when it comes to factoring signing bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.