Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":2tswftby said:
Russ is about to hit the forbes next offseason if that's what Kaep got.

Bingo.

So essentially its 19 per but can reach 21 per with incentives. Always thought it would be between 18-20. Rolling guarantees so they can get out if they need to...IE guarantees are year to year if he's on the roster.

If the CBA allowed it, the Seahawks would do this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they can't which means this sets a new bar for Russell next year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1k4xo446 said:
So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?

Possibly?

Its through 2020...haven't done the math.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hopefully he will continue to excitedly throw to Crab 1 on 1 on the outside every time.

Jville

Reaction score
........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

We'll see the details in a couple of days. Still it's a lot of money.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":r26bj2p6 said:
........ it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed ......

Correct. I heard about 19 per and up to 21 with incentives.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Seems like a fine deal. Maybe slightly above what I would expect for market on him, but when you get a franchise QB you pay what it takes within reason. I assume this bumps us up to about a $22m/year extension next year on Wilson, assuming that their relative value as QBs doesn't wildly fluctuate this next year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jg1zigy said:
RolandDeschain":1jg1zigy said:
So $18m/year for Kaep, then? Since this is a six-year extension added to the final year of his rookie contract?

Possibly?

Its through 2020...haven't done the math.

So yes, just confirmed that. Under contract for 7 years. Likely waited for cap space to accommodate prorated signing bonus.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2l9gwadg said:
Seems like a fine deal. Maybe slightly above what I would expect for market on him, but when you get a franchise QB you pay what it takes within reason. I assume this bumps us up to about a $22m/year extension next year on Wilson, assuming that their relative value as QBs doesn't wildly fluctuate this next year.

Cap starts dramatic rise, so market may go nuts. I think that's why getting Kap signed was so urgent.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

That being said, RW will make even more. But I ain't worried. We already locked up our entire young core through at least 2018 and built all our key extensions around a model that obviously accounted for Wilson's payday. Smooth sailin' for us.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":174jnn1h said:
It's a lot of money, but Kaep was bound to get paid and the Niners are right for paying him. I laughed when I saw Niners fans argue that they should either lowball him at $11M or let him hit the market. Ridiculous.

That being said, RW will make even more. But I ain't worried. We already locked up our entire young core through at least 2018 and built all our key extensions around a model that obviously accounted for Wilson's payday. Smooth sailin' for us.

Yeah...that was a fantasy world.

Its a lot of money, but actually fairly happy with the deal. 7 years under contract, not a huge number this year, cap about to rise dramatically which helps absorb that number, locks him up for a long time in order to lock in todays market, guarantees are per year so they can get out if he's hurt or doesn't perform...

...all and all not too shabby...if you can get over the number. It was pretty clear all along though that it was going to be a really big number.

Now we just see how much that number increases for Wilson.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
LOL!

Well, they really only need to pay one WR...so it's not like they're cutting too big of a check.

I wish I could get paid bank for not doing anything.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
At that pay scale, for whiner fans, each heart-breaking INT he throws at a critical juncture in a game/season is going to hurt like a cyclops being jabbed in the eye with a red-hot poker, Arghhh, that hurts!

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":25wo85cg said:
Jville":25wo85cg said:

wrong. it's $18m a year. the final year of his rookie deal remains the same. He is only getting paid around $1m this season. So, adding this year and the 6 year extension, it comes out to $18m a year

Polaris

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1e3saio3 said:
I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":1ol8lmga said:
Marvin49":1ol8lmga said:
Jville":1ol8lmga said:

wrong. it's $18m a year. the final year of his rookie deal remains the same. He is only getting paid around $1m this season. So, adding this year and the 6 year extension, it comes out to $18m a year

Correct...I'm only referring to the extended years

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":23nr8rq6 said:
RolandDeschain":23nr8rq6 said:
I hope this deal is heavily back-loaded so the Niners are screwed in a couple of years, haha. I can't wait to see the details...We'll see how good Baalke really is with the numbers.

It will have to be. Yes the Niners restructered a bit, but before they did, they were running right on the salary cap. IIRC they mananage to restructure (Bowman was one) to clear about 7-8mill in cap space but given that little cap space, the deal almost has to be backloaded.

No it doesn't. I might be, but it doesn't have to be.

He is still playing for 1 mil this year. This is an extension that kicks in next year.

They will still eat up more $$$$ tho I think because I'm assuming that the signing bonus will be prorated over the 7 years of the deal....starting this year. Either way, not a huge cap number this year.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Polaris":1i2a0wx6 said:
RolandDeschain":1i2a0wx6 said:

Actually, cutting Carlos Rogers freed up $6.6m on June 1st. Plus the $2.5m they saved from the Bowman restructuring= $9.3m in cap space.

Kap is still only getting paid $1m this season. So, all that cap space will assuredly carry over to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.