Clowney got sent home

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
He should never have left Seattle.
Grass isn't always greener.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No, I'm just saying he should have realized he was in a good situation.
Clowney didn't exactly do much here. He had one of his worst seasons from a statistical perspective here. Sure, Carroll's good at fostering culture, but our defense has been in the bottom 1/3rd of the NFL for quite some time now. Seattle didn't really give him a leg up vs. the other places that he's been.

In addition to this, I'm not sure how much Carroll wanted the guy after a season here. He's been a headcase wherever he's been.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Clowney was a very inconsistent player had a few splash plays but mostly he was just going through the motions. Many times the only difference between a good and great player is self motivation. I would prefer a less physically talented player who is more motivated than the other way around

JGreen79

Reaction score
Clowney didn't exactly do much here. He had one of his worst seasons from a statistical perspective here. Sure, Carroll's good at fostering culture, but our defense has been in the bottom 1/3rd of the NFL for quite some time now. Seattle didn't really give him a leg up vs. the other places that he's been.

In addition to this, I'm not sure how much Carroll wanted the guy after a season here. He's been a headcase wherever he's been.

Statistically sure, but he had no one around him when he was here.

He was the third most doubled teamed edge rusher that year, while also being 7th best in pass rush win rate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-192351.png
    Screenshot_20230106-192351.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 7

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
His year here, didn't he have one game where he was just an unstoppable offense wrecker, then went kinda -meh- for the rest of the season?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Didn't he have one game where he was just an unstoppable offense wrecker, then went kinda
-meh- for the rest of the season?

I think it was two games.Maybe three?

However he has severely damaged any hope of a next landing spot. If he felt screwed then he should have shut up.

knownone

Reaction score
Clowney was a monster for us. But he couldn't translate disruption into production (specifically sacks), which has been the story his entire career. That's probably why he's upset in Cleveland. They are essentially using him to create opportunities for Garrett, which is brilliant from their perspective because Garrett is a better pass rusher. But if you are Clowney and want one more big contract, I can imagine it's frustrating.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

He was the third most doubled teamed edge rusher that year, while also being 7th best in pass rush win rate.
“Nobody around him” is exactly what I’m getting at. Our defense has been bare on the D-Line for a long time.

pmedic920

Reaction score

I’m no statistician.

I always felt he passed the eye test.
He may not of made the highlight reel every game, or got his name called all that often by the announcers but I believe he was very impactful.

Your stats kinda bolster my “feelings”.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
His year here, didn't he have one game where he was just an unstoppable offense wrecker, then went kinda -meh- for the rest of the season?
He destroyed San Francisco when we knocked them from the unbeaten ranks in Nov 2019. He was in the backfield all game & had a strip sack that he recovered & took in for a TD. I think he got hurt that game & missed the rest of the year with a torn pec or something similar.

His biggest issue IMO was he liked to sign late &/or miss training camp then he'd get hurt because of it. I believe he held out in 2018 with Houston trying to get an extension, in 2019 with Houston again because he was franchise tagged before getting immediately traded to us just before the season, & 2020 when he signed with the Titans.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He destroyed San Francisco when we knocked them from the unbeaten ranks in Nov 2019. He was in the backfield all game & had a strip sack that he recovered & took in for a TD. I think he got hurt that game & missed the rest of the year with a torn pec or something similar.

His biggest issue IMO was he liked to sign late &/or miss training camp then he'd get hurt because of it. I believe he held out in 2018 with Houston trying to get an extension, in 2019 with Houston again because he was franchise tagged before getting immediately traded to us just before the season, & 2020 when he signed with the Titans.

He was hurt for a number of games but came in during the playoffs to tackle Wentz, forcing the sub of Josh McCown.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think Clowney would be a good fit for the defense the Seahawks are trying to run. Clowney dominated the 49ers and Eagles while he was here. Slow start due to a late trade and injuries derailed his season. Had he been in camp and had a full season, things may have been different.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I think Clowney would be a good fit for the defense the Seahawks are trying to run. Clowney dominated the 49ers and Eagles while he was here. Slow start due to a late trade and injuries derailed his season. Had he been in camp and had a full season, things may have been different.
Have to imagine his market will be at an all time low this off-season, what’s to lose?

Make sure he’s a full OTA participant and cut bait early if he looks to be a chemistry issue.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don’t remember any Seahawks offers being made public in regards to resigning him when he left.

Latest posts