Panthers hire Reich. Wilks claims racism

morgulon1

Reaction score

Interim head coaches are not often hired As hc, though. Biscaccia wasnt. Rosberg hasn’t even gotten an interview from his own team. There may be a bias ahainst interim hc, but I don’t see how it’s racial.

Thoughts?
It's not racial. Unless you're a black coach wanting to be a head coach and you don't get the job.

bileever

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Reich's daughter's hiring makes it seem as if they had planned on hiring him all along, and that interviewing Wilks was just pretense. Appearances matter for things like this.

Also, even if Reich's daughter's hiring is just coincidental, giving her the job when her main qualification appears to be the fact that she's an NFL coach's daughter makes you wonder whether more qualified candidates for her job were overlooked in the process.

Ultimately, Reich may end up being a good choice. The problem is that he failed in Indianapolis, and it underscores the appearance that white coaches can fail and still get another job, whereas a black coach might only get one chance, and even then, a pretty short leash.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So here’s the tweet that Florio references.

I cant understand how shes not saying what the job is and even More how Florio isn’t saying what it is.

Doesn't really matter what the job is does it?

The fact that the Panther's hired her on January 8th pretty much confirms that they had already decided to hire Reich.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter what the job is does it?

The fact that the Panther's hired her on January 8th pretty much confirms that they had already decided to hire Reich.

If she had a background in marketng or a specialty, I’d be less skeptical.

BASF

Reaction score
The problem is that he failed in Indianapolis
Has a winning record in the regular season with some poor QB choices. He was ultimately unable to teach Jacoby Brissett his system and he had to bring in washed up people who already understood his system. His major fault this season was lack of discipline on the team according to Pat McAfee who still has connections inside the franchise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If she had a background in marketng or a specialty, I’d be less skeptical.

I don't know anyone who actually thinks the Rooney Rule is anything resembling a legitimate fair hiring practice.

It was a rule the owners agreed to put in place to give the APPEARANCE that they give a rat's ass about racial equality amoungst coaches. But just like everything else with how the owner's run their league, it's 100% appearance and 0% substance.

They don't care about racial equality. They don't care about BLM. They don't care about gender equity. They don't care about player safety.

They care about money. The end.

knownone

Reaction score
I doubt the daughter's hiring impacts the situation. Most of that reporting reads like tabloid speculation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I doubt the daughter's hiring impacts the situation. Most of that reporting reads like tabloid speculation.

So you think it was pure coincidence that Reich's daughter was hired almost three weeks before he was? For a job she's not even qualified for?

I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn if you think this.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who actually thinks the Rooney Rule is anything resembling a legitimate fair hiring practice.

It was a rule the owners agreed to put in place to give the APPEARANCE that they give a rat's ass about racial equality amoungst coaches. But just like everything else with how the owner's run their league, it's 100% appearance and 0% substance.

They don't care about racial equality. They don't care about BLM. They don't care about gender equity. They don't care about player safety.

They care about money. The end.

They usually care about appearances. Keep in mind Wilks’ finalist interview was Jan 25. It is an extremely poor look to hire this mans daughter whose Credentials for any marketing job are unknown or nonexistent 18 days before.

knownone

Reaction score
So you think it was pure coincidence that Reich's daughter was hired almost three weeks before he was? For a job she's not even qualified for?

I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn if you think this.
No. I don't think it impacts the legal situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No. I don't think it impacts the legal situation.

It's like the government. Pretty hard to find someone guilty when the people deciding on guilt are the people who committed the violation.

Owners: "Hey, did Carolina violate the Rooney rule?"
Owners: "I don't think so, they interviewed a couple black guys."
Owners: "Well there you go, innocent!"

knownone

Reaction score
It's like the government. Pretty hard to find someone guilty when the people deciding on guilt are the people who committed the violation.

Owners: "Hey, did Carolina violate the Rooney rule?"
Owners: "I don't think so, they interviewed a couple black guys."
Owners: "Well there you go, innocent!"
In this case, It's unclear what guilt exists. Even if the Panthers had decided on Reich before interviewing Wilks, they didn't violate any laws--they violated the spirit of a rule. That's why Wilks's legal strategy is centered around public relations. They want public pressure to force the NFL to make changes that ensure a level playing field (I'm not sure how you'd do this).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In this case, It's unclear what guilt exists. Even if the Panthers had decided on Reich before interviewing Wilks, they didn't violate any laws--they violated the spirit of a rule. That's why Wilks's legal strategy is centered around public relations. They want public pressure to force the NFL to make changes that ensure a level playing field (I'm not sure how you'd do this).

There's no way to legitimately police it, or enforce it.

Unless you want to implement minority hiring quotas. Which I highly doubt the owners would agree to. They want to hire who they want to hire, so they'll continue to do this ridiculous obvious sham of interview processes.

NoGain

Reaction score
Putting aside the daddy/daughter thing for a moment, I read in a Peter King column this morning that Tepper wanted a real QB-centered head coach, that he really wanted to get that part of the equation in place. This leads me to believe that Carolina is really going to aggressively pursue a QB in market, quite possibly in the draft market. As another poster previously highlighted, this makes a lot of sense to me.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Putting aside the daddy/daughter thing for a moment, I read in a Peter King column this morning that Tepper wanted a real QB-centered head coach, that he really wanted to get that part of the equation in place. This leads me to believe that Carolina is really going to aggressively pursue a QB in market, quite possibly in the draft market. As another poster previously highlighted, this makes a lot of sense to me.

Right, but he hasnt actually cultivated a qb1 talent during his time with the Colts. He’s had relatively little success with the post Manning veteran qbs, either. ESP Not recently. Wilks got his team to be a legit contender for their division with an xfl qb and Sam Darnold.

NoGain

Reaction score
Right, but he hasnt actually cultivated a qb1 talent during his time with the Colts. He’s had relatively little success with the post Manning veteran qbs, either. ESP Not recently. Wilks got his team to be a legit contender for their division with an xfl qb and Sam Darnold.
I'm not an INDY expert, but I don't really blame Reich for their QB carousal. He didn't have a bad record with the Colts either. And who's to say what his career would have looked like had Andrew Luck stayed on in a motivated fashion? If you want a good coach who's QB-centered (he was an ex-QB), I get why Tepper might have wanted to hire him. And maybe he really impressed Tepper in their interview. Who knows?

BASF

Reaction score
The race part is weird to claim when they also interviewed Jim Caldwell and Ejiro Evero. That is more minorities than is required.