Clint Hurtt Wipes His Ass something… something…

Fade

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt was a disaster from the jump. It was obvious.

However, Clint Hurtt is the symptom--not the disease.

The guy who hired him, and kept him in place coming off of 4 years of Norton, should've had the football acuman to know Clint Hurtt wasn't the guy, and moved off of him after only 1 year. Giving him a 2nd year in context with the 4 years of Norton already is gross negligence. The skipper steering the ship, continues to steer the ship into an iceburg and far too many have been cool with it.

The Seahawks have literally wasted the last 6 seasons of football featuring productive HoF level QB play, because Pete refuses to hire a quality NFL DC. Anyone of these seasons, with an above avg. defense they might've made a playoff run.

Whatever Pete's reasons are, (none of them make sense.) Outside of maybe no one wants to work under Pete on that side of the ball because at the end of the day--it is his defense and they don't want to be his stooge.

If you want things to change, demand better. Stop patting people on the ass and telling them they're doing good, when clearly--they are not.

Now Geno is going to start catching strays that Wilson used to get hit with.

This how the game goes:

-The defense can't get off the field to save their life.

-It demoralizes the whole team because they are not dumb, they can see it too. (Getting out schemed.)

-The offense starts pressing because they feel like they have to be perfect.

-The offense gets stiff rotting on the bench.

-Some players start freelancing because they lose trust in what the coaches are telling them.

-It snowballs, and before you know it, the offense is out of rythm and sucking too.

This is a coaching issue. Not a fire Pete thread per say. If Pete refuses to address this issue, then we have a huge problem.

They got 2 choices at this juncture.

A) Hire a high quality NFL DC with the pelts on the wall. Pete removes himself entirely, and becomes the CEO.

B) Pete refuses to do this, so he himself must be removed.

There is no option -C- where Pete just gets to keep doing what he's doing. They've done that the last 6 years, and it's clearly not working.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
This is essentially a fire Pete post. Your proposed options are

A Pete turns over the coaching to an established defensive coordinator

B if he's not cool with this he's removed

Do you mean fired ?

I'm not the biggest Pete Carroll fan in the world right now, the pathetic team he put on the field today has really helped the fire Pete faction of this fan base but this is the first game of the the year.

knownone

Reaction score
It was one game against a team that always exploits our defense. Is that indicative of a systemic issue? Not really.

Let's wait a few games before comparing Pete to a disease.

whidbeast

Reaction score
Everyone was teeing off on Fade because he predicted the defensive product we saw today based on preseason observations even though it was basically the same embarrassing defensive product we been watching for the past season after season. At least possible he isn't wrong?

mistaowen

Reaction score
McVay will pick apart Pete's defense until he gets someone that isn't from his never ending tree of promotions. It doesn't matter what their record is or who is playing on his team, McVay crushes Pete.

That said, I went into this year hoping they'd learn from that weird Fangio/Pete hybrid defense they tried that couldn't rush the passer, play run defense, or stop passing plays. They seemed to go fully back to bend, don't break cover 3 shell but don't have a 4 man rush that can win (I think I saw they had a 5% win rate today, jesus christ), don't have an aggressive secondary that can pressure/create turnovers/punish the dink and dunk style, and spend a quarter of their salary on the safety position that is seemingly easily schemed out of plays. I don't think it's hyperbole that watching today's team may be the worst defense in the NFL. It's lazy, horrendous technique, zero playmakers, and could not beat a bunch of fringe practice squad guys. Witherspoon and Adams should at least give them some kind of edge on that side of the ball but if they can't rush with 4 and Hurtt refuses to adjust, this defense will continue to be a bottom 3 unit AGAIN. Completely unacceptable.

GemCity

Reaction score
Fade…I’ve never really commented on your posts. Lots of people think you are negative…but perhaps you’re a realist.

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said here.

Homerism vs Truth maybe? Fans have got to consider it…..

renofox

Reaction score
Fade…I’ve never really commented on your posts. Lots of people think you are negative…but perhaps you’re a realist.

Fan is short for fanatic.

Fade is not a fanatic as he is a critical observer that is correct more often than not.

Most fans want hope more than reality.

Diversity in Fandom is good.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I might be a homer regarding Pete ,I'm still trying to figure it out. Regarding Clint Hurtt? I didn't like the hire from day one and as much as the players seemed to like Ken Norton Jr , he was a linebackers coach . Nothing more.

Having said all this , the Seattle Seahawks are in worse shape than they were at the end of last season and this is very disturbing to me .

It seems Carroll is a little stuck in his ways and past his best years . I'll certainly give Fade credit and I'll paraphrase in that he's had several years to fix things on defense and he hasn't been able to get it done. This too disturbs me.

People seem to think with Witherspoon and Jamal Adams coming back ,this is going to be the difference and set the team on the right path but I'm not convinced this is the answer , although
having both back and more importantly
Healthy could make a difference.

I think it's coaching ,scheme and lack of awareness and adjustments. The LA Rams went into the locker room trailing
and came out for the 3rd quarter and lit Seattle up for 23 points and held us to
0 points with 3 yards rushing . Nice !!

The last time I felt like this a dude named Mora was coaching.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Fade's right
I was screamin just cover that rookie , double him or play man ,hurt you goof ball but it never really came to pass and a rook names nacua i think kicked our backends asses
pretty much all by himself with a stupid zone they let him get away with sitting in but we didn't do much to stop him as players froze when he did and waited for him to catch the ball , I couldn't watch the final few minutes I was so damn disgusted by our lack of effort but the hitting and run stopping were at least better than last year but YES
Something has to change coaching schematically.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score

All I want is for the Seahawks to win.

However, I refuse to lie to myself, and am not scared of the blowback of an unpopular take. "Be weary of confirmation bias" is my own personal motto. Most of my takes are arrived at by the data. The data builds over time and that is what forms my opinion, I don't go with feeling, just hard data particularly that is of not a small sample size. The defense has been suffering from these issues for a very long time. This is not a reaction to one game.

The Wilson vs. Geno thing last year was a statistical fluke, an outlier. That was somehow used to paint me as a moron for not seeing Geno morph into a pro-bowler, when literally no one saw that coming. His biggest proponents had him as a bridge QB, TJack style, that was going to manage the game by relying on a defense and a running game. Which didn't happen, and the revisionist history began.

Back to the Seahawks Defense. They are literally built to play a smothering man 2 man, that brings pressure from everywhere, and instead they play the most vanilla softzone QBs dream of facing, this is the results. And it will continue until they change, whenever that is.

I will never waver. I know football, I have 2 eyeballs, and I can't unsee it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ken was getting hot. And they went away from him.

Fade might be redundant and even grating with some of these points, but he's not wrong on most counts.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
This is essentially a fire Pete post. Your proposed options are

A Pete turns over the coaching to an established defensive coordinator

B if he's not cool with this he's removed

Do you mean fired ?

I'm not the biggest Pete Carroll fan in the world right now, the pathetic team he put on the field today has really helped the fire Pete faction of this fan base but this is the first game of the the year.
No. I propose Pete relinqueshes X's and O's power on defense. He is the CEO that runs it.

He gives a couple of directives, "we don't give up anything deep." "We will be the best tackling team in the league." Things of that nature, but the DC is in full control of how to achieve these things. Not Pete.

Pete is currently fully involved in the scheming. It's not working.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
What kind of an asshole builds his defense from the secondary forward. The seahawks arguably had the best secondary in nfl history. If all would have stayed healthy or not crazy, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, would all be hall of famers. Hell even Browner and Lane were probowlers and Im sure Im leaving some guys out. The arrogance that you could rekindle that magic is ridiculous, hence the results you see, will continue to see until Pete gets canned and we have new blood.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
On top of that, our secondary can't chase for 10 seconds while the QB sits back and eats a sandwich because the DL which has been an issue only gets half-assed addressed in the offseason

mistaowen

Reaction score
No. I propose Pete relinqueshes X's and O's power on defense. He is the CEO that runs it.

He gives a couple of directives, "we don't give up anything deep." "We will be the best tackling team in the league." Things of that nature, but the DC is in full control of how to achieve these things. Not Pete.

And in theory, zone is what most of the better defenses run, using a lot of what Pete brought with him 10 years ago. Keeping plays in front of you is a solid blueprint to win in the NFL with how unbelievably athletic guys are now. We are just so vanilla, passive, and still rely on a 4 man rush that cannot get home. Watching the 49ers run a very similar defense to what Pete wants but actually attack downfield, create pressure, and make WR's lives hard at the LOS is night and day. DB's don't jam, they don't try and break on routes, and pass catchers have free range. QB's know where to go with the ball almost instantly, very rarely do you see them have to re-set and check through new progressions. Something has to change or else we will have another season starting 6-7 games with the worst defense in the NFL.

morgulon1

Reaction score

If Pete is involved in the scheme that means our beloved Clint Hurtt is coordinator in name only?