Assuming Carroll lives on and Hurtt is gone

James in PA

Reaction score
The season only ended 2 days ago, but with each passing hour, I get more nervous about Hurtt keeping his job. I'm still hoping for a miracle with Jody just cleaning house entirely. When Pete has his season ending "everything is wonderful" press conference, I hope someone has the balls to ask him about Hurtt. Although Im sure he'll give a typical "we're looking at everything" Pete answer. I also would like to know WHEN he is meeting with Jody.

flv2

Reaction score
It's really hard for me to care who the DC is because I truly don't think it matters as much as most people think.
I disagree. I think it really does matter. I also think it's harder for someone who is already in the program to change the culture and performance than it is for an outsider to change things.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have to say this . My gut feeling (Guess) is that no one is going anywhere. Hurtt included. I was listening to Petey on Brock and Salk and that old dude is convinced that Seattle is " so close and things will be different this next season ". Mike Salk threw out that they were young and Petey hopped on that and went with it. They aren't that young.

Diggs , Adams, Reed, Wagner , Love , Edwards , D Jones

I'm really getting to a point where I want the organization to force him out . I know this won't sit well with a few on .NET but it's the way I feel . I don't think they're close to being a mediocre defense. Petey of course threw out the stupid buzzwords like " clean" " fit" "fight" "scrap" and a lot of " uh uh uh uh's for his trusting faithful.

It took me a few years but I've finally gotten to the point of annoyance.

They were the 8th oldest defense in the league............and "young" is one of the worst excuses a coach can make for his team playing poorly.

But I don't blame Pete, he's trying extremely hard to paint the narrative that helps him keep his job.

Sorry, this team regressed from last year, and that's not a good sign for a coach who's trying to convince everyone that it's the opposite. Geno did not improve, Walker did not improve, all the draft picks from last year did not improve, and some even regressed. Playcalling and scheme did not improve. Free agent acquisitions were marginal to poor.

But hey, what do I know. I'm sure Jody will fall for Pete's nonsense and let him run back another 9-8 or 8-9 season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I disagree. I think it really does matter. I also think it's harder for someone who is already in the program to change the culture and performance than it is for an outsider to change things.
If it means anything I hope you're right and I will root for that. We just have the same problems regardless of who is DC which to me lends itself to the idea that its his philosophy that has to be ran. People will counter this by saying we did change fronts, blitz packages, looks etc but regardless they all operated under Pete's vision of what he wants from a defense.

James in PA

Reaction score
They were the 8th oldest defense in the league............and "young" is one of the worst excuses a coach can make for his team playing poorly.

But I don't blame Pete, he's trying extremely hard to paint the narrative that helps him keep his job.

Sorry, this team regressed from last year, and that's not a good sign for a coach who's trying to convince everyone that it's the opposite. Geno did not improve, Walker did not improve, all the draft picks from last year did not improve, and some even regressed. Playcalling and scheme did not improve. Free agent acquisitions were marginal to poor.

But hey, what do I know. I'm sure Jody will fall for Pete's nonsense and let him run back another 9-8 or 8-9 season.
I agree with what Rob Staton said on his YouTube video yesterday. That BS radio interview felt like nothing more than a dress rehearsal for his end of year meeting with Jody in which he'll try to make his case for giving him another year. There was so much crap that made me want to throw my phone. Youth is what hurt us and we're closer to a SB than we were a year ago at this time, even though we regressed across the board. And that we were "so close." SO CLOSE TO WHAT?! Getting the final wildcard spot in an expanded playoff bracket?! Is this the standard now?!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree with what Rob Staton said on his YouTube video yesterday. That BS radio interview felt like nothing more than a dress rehearsal for his end of year meeting with Jody in which he'll try to make his case for giving him another year. There was so much crap that made me want to throw my phone. Youth is what hurt us and we're closer to a SB than we were a year ago at this time, even though we regressed across the board. And that we were "so close." SO CLOSE TO WHAT?! Getting the final wildcard spot in an expanded playoff bracket?! Is this the standard now?!!

Yes, don't you know ALMOST winning all those close games we lost is "so close."

Lol. Like literally EVERY OTHER team in the NFL can't say the same thing. That literally IS the NFL, parity and close games. It's why all the stuff Pete and staff do poorly matters. Discipline, mistakes, penalties, immaturity, lack of accountability.

We've seen all of this in spades the past couple of years. Hell, maybe longer.

Fade

Reaction score
-Pete IS the defensive coach of the Seahawks. I don't know why so many on here do not get this. KJ Wright has stated this.

-The DC is his lackey to carry out his philosophy and orders of how he wants it done. Not in a general sense where a HC should have some general directives, but in a total sense.

-Pete is heavily involved in the planning and scheming week to week. Most coaches in the league specialize on their side of the ball. Or leave the coordinators to their tasks. This in not Pete.

-Pete allows his coordinators to "add to it" as he has put it. Has mentioned 70/30 on the record.

-At USC he took control of the offense. Before, in his previous stops he let his OCs do their thing, and he handled the defense. That changed at USC, and he has never relinquished control since. He talked about this extensively in various pressers back in the L.O.B days.

-If you have a problem with the coordinators, your beef is with Pete. I learned after the Bevell firing. Multiple coordinator firings later on both sides of the ball and too many still do not get it.

-NO DC/OC is coming here of any value while Pete remains here. "Yes" men only. That are going to do it exactly to the T, how Pete wants it done. When guys go rogue and start doing their own thing, or question Pete's orders is when they usually get fired. That would be Bates, Richard, and Schotty. Bevell, Cable, and Norton, was due to performance and needing scapegoats. This is where Hurtt will fall if he gets fired. But make no mistake he will be replaced with another crony. My bet right now would be Karl Scott.

-Firing Hurtt or Waldron (Who is better than most realize) will not change a thing. Ironically, it's a careful what you wish for scenario. Richard >> Norton >>>>> Hurtt. As they've changed DCs they continue to get worse. Schotty was totally fine and is now thriving in Dallas. New coordinators will likely make things worse.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’m starting to think KJR reads our posts here on .NET

Just 15 mins ago they spoke of exactly what I posted on here….

I said my theory was Carroll is afraid to hire a big time outside defensive coordinator cause he’s afraid of being upstaged…

And that’s exactly what was talked about on KJR…

At least give me my credit…

Someone here on .NET is possibly a 93.3 KJR radio host….!!!

Ozzy

Reaction score

Yes it drives me nuts that people keep saying we were a young team. Sure if factoring in the whole roster they're probably right. The defense is old and oddly the best performers aren't the young guys as Whitherspoon is your best player by far. It drives me nuts Pete can say this and people just give it a pass. If Pete wanted to say the tackles on offense were young or whatever then fine but most of your core starters aren't young and claiming a lot of the execution was because of a young team is flat out wrong. Brooks, Wagner, Diggs, Adams, Reed, Williams, Jones almost every starter on defense is a veteran. Come on Pete.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yes it drives me nuts that people keep saying we were a young team. Sure if factoring in the whole roster they're probably right. The defense is old and oddly the best performers aren't the young guys as Whitherspoon is your best player by far. It drives me nuts Pete can say this and people just give it a pass. If Pete wanted to say the tackles on offense were young or whatever then fine but most of your core starters aren't young and claiming a lot of the execution was because of a young team is flat out wrong. Brooks, Wagner, Diggs, Adams, Reed, Williams, Jones almost every starter on defense is a veteran. Come on Pete.
I guess all those Super Bowls Tom Brady won had no rookies on their teams and no second and third year players, cause according to Carroll, you can only win with old vetsssss….

“In 2024 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select, Joe Namath, QB, old as a mofo!”

Trophy is in the bag now! We got the old guy Carroll needs to win!!!!

Greatttttttt!!!!