Assuming Carroll lives on and Hurtt is gone

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Who’s the internal hire at DC???

Check this out, I have this theory:

I think we also have to consider there may be coaches that also don’t want to work alongside Pete Carroll…so no outside star in the making coach will be chosen….

Finding an established coach may undermine Carroll and he feels there can be tension or eventual somewhat of a mutiny so he openly “promotes” within the system a lot (Kris Richard, Gus Bradley, recently Clint Hurtt, Dan Quinn, etc.)

Keeping the power to himself and not going with another potential existing outside the organization coaching star may be something Carroll wants to avoid cause he wants to remain the alpha?? Is it possible???

I think it is real. This is psychology, actually. If there is a stud coach, Carroll, may feel threatened by it so, he chooses to promote within instead??

Is it reasonable or am I terrible dot net poster?!?

Lol.

Let the destruction and setting me on fire begin!!!!!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The fact that Clint Hurtt is still employed with the team right now speaks volumes to how incompetent Carroll and this entire front office is.

Edit: and I think you're right. That's why Desai (who isn't very good) and Fangio (better than Desai) are no longer here

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
Why doesn't Pete just take over the defensive play calling? He obviously sucks at finding good coaching talent. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The fact that Clint Hurtt is still employed with the team right now speaks volumes to how incompetent Carroll and this entire front office is.

Edit: and I think you're right. That's why Desai (who isn't very good) and Fangio (better than Desai) are no longer here
We have the same damn thing with the Bears. The coaches and players are not getting the job done, but everybody thinks Poles is a GM genius. I am not equating Poles and Schneider. John is much better in other respects.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
I think the last time or two Pete made coordinator changes, it wasn't immediately following the last game. I do expect Hurtt to be canned in the not so distant future. It's not nearly enough but at least it's something.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I mean, even if we had an average defense, statistically middle of the pack, I'm confident this could be a 12 win team and compete for conference titles.

morgulon1

Reaction score

I think we also have to consider there may be coaches that also don’t want to work alongside Pete Carroll…so no outside star in the making coach will be chosen….

Finding an established coach may undermine Carroll and he feels there can be tension or eventual somewhat of a mutiny so he openly “promotes” within the system a lot (Kris Richard, Gus Bradley, recently Clint Hurtt, Dan Quinn, etc.)

Keeping the power to himself and not going with another potential existing outside the organization coaching star may be something Carroll wants to avoid cause he wants to remain the alpha?? Is it possible???

I think it is real. This is psychology, actually. If there is a stud coach, Carroll, may feel threatened by it so, he chooses to promote within instead??

Lol.

No opposition from me. Pete Carroll without a doubt will NOT relinquish any power whatsoever. This is why he promotes from within. This way he can retain final say . To the detriment of the Seattle Seahawks.

bileever

Reaction score
At this point in Carroll's career, he should be thinking of a succession plan, if he's going to be here next year. Someone like Dan Quinn should be brought in as DC/Assistant Head Coach with the idea that he would take over the year after. That would allow you to get a big name.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Lol.

If this were really the reason, he wouldn't constantly hire external on offense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The problem with changing DC's yet again is that it gives the team, the organization, and potential coaches/free agents the impression that Pete doesn't have a plan, that he's flailing, grasping for straws.

Since Dan Quinn left on his own terms, Pete has fired Kris Richard (2015-17), Ken Norton Jr. (2018-21) and now Clint Hurtt (2022-23). Why would a good, up and coming position coach take a chance on being Victim #4 and torpedo his career by signing up to be Pete's DC?

And as long as we're on the subject, for as long as he's been coaching, Pete doesn't have a real great coaching tree, certainly not compared to The Walrus or the Big Tuna. I wonder why?

James in PA

Reaction score
The problem with changing DC's yet again is that it gives the team, the organization, and potential coaches/free agents the impression that Pete doesn't have a plan, that he's flailing, grasping for straws.

Since Dan Quinn left on his own terms, Pete has fired Kris Richard (2015-17), Ken Norton Jr. (2018-21) and now Clint Hurtt (2022-23). Why would a good, up and coming position coach take a chance on being Victim #4 and torpedo his career by signing up to be Pete's DC?

And as long as we're on the subject, for as long as he's been coaching, Pete doesn't have a real great coaching tree, certainly not compared to The Walrus or the Big Tuna. I wonder why?
Good point. This is what the Pete Carroll coaching tree looks like:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

You answered your own statement.

IMO it's more Pete that doesn't want to hire established D coordinators, for the reason you stated above.........that's schematic friction because there's a 100% guarantee that coordinator will want to run things his way, and we all know that's not OK with Pete.

Now you'd think after year #8 of having a mediocre to awful defense Pete would be open to bringing in a veteran coordinator and giving up some defensive control.

NOPE.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You answered your own statement.

IMO it's more Pete that doesn't want to hire established D coordinators, for the reason you stated above.........that's schematic friction because there's a 100% guarantee that coordinator will want to run things his way, and we all know that's not OK with Pete.

Now you'd think after year #8 of having a mediocre to awful defense Pete would be open to bringing in a veteran coordinator and giving up some defensive control.

NOPE.
Sarge, are you saying that Hurtt, you think will remain d coordinator??

Cause if I’m asking who is the next d coordinator and there’s no internal hire (or even externally) is Hurtt to remain??

Wow. This off season will get interesting!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarge, are you saying that Hurtt, you think will remain d coordinator??

Cause if I’m asking who is the next d coordinator and there’s no internal hire (or even externally) is Hurtt to remain??

Wow. This off season will get interesting!

I think Pete stays and does his usual inconsequential sacrificial coordinator firing and hiring of another Pete lackey. Maybe even on both sides of the ball, although if I had to bet Waldron is safer than Hurtt.

But again, it doesn't matter cause they're still going to have to run Pete's simple ass predictable schemes.

All we can hope is Jody tells Pete if he stays he has to relinquish some schematic control. But I doubt it.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Pete stays and does his usual inconsequential sacrificial coordinator firing and hiring of another Pete lackey. Maybe even on both sides of the ball, although if I had to bet Waldron is safer than Hurtt.

But again, it doesn't matter cause they're still going to have to run Pete's simple ass predictable schemes.

All we can hope is Jody tells Pete if he stays he has to relinquish some schematic control. But I doubt it.
I think Pete rather retire or quit than relinquish anymore control than he already did a few years back.