Clint Hurtt is optimistic

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting read here. D Coordintaor Clint Hurtt, a man I've always respected, says the defense will be significantly better this season.

Here's a few quotes from Mr. Hurtt in the article:

“We will be significantly better,” Hurtt said when asked how much better the defense could be with stopping the run. “It has to."

“A lot of people talk about how there was more two-gapping (in the 3-4 look). We actually did more two-gapping the previous two years. But because of the change the assumption is ‘well, they’re doing this more because of this change to a 3-4’. I’ve stated numerous times I think that’s really overstated and overblown."

What do you guys think? Is Clint Hurtt ready to take that next step and lead this group back to being dominant? Or is it all a bunch of lip service similar to last off-season?

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Interesting read here. D Coordintaor Clint Hurtt, a man I've always respected, says the defense will be significantly better this season.

“We will be significantly better,” Hurtt said when asked how much better the defense could be with stopping the run. “It has to."

“A lot of people talk about how there was more two-gapping (in the 3-4 look). We actually did more two-gapping the previous two years. But because of the change the assumption is ‘well, they’re doing this more because of this change to a 3-4’. I’ve stated numerous times I think that’s really overstated and overblown."

What do you guys think? Is Clint Hurtt ready to take that next step and lead this group back to being dominant? Or is it all a bunch of lip service similar to last off-season?

We need to be significantly better because we sucked last year. Painful to watch. A absolute disgrace against the run.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Well I know he's going to be positive about the team but the fact is, this year's defence is going to have a huge turnover on the front seven and just having Wagner back is step up.

So we know where Pete and Clint thought the problem was: Personnel. And to be honest with the number of blown assignments and missed tackles, it's hard to disagree.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely IS going to be better- - (Could hardly be worse), eh? lolol
Seriously though, you can have a fantastic plan in place, but without the right horses, it doesn't matter how good a scheme that's in the works.
Clint has to plug up the confusion hole, and I think that's why they brought Bobby back into the fold.

balakoth

Reaction score
People sure put a lot of stake in a DC when theres position coaches etc etc. There's no way anyone buys defensive performance is tied to a DC

bileever

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt is known for his candor and isn't given to coach-speak, so hopefully he's being honest with his assessment. He must be feeling better about the change in personnel, of getting Dre'mont Jones and Jarran Reed for the D-line and getting Bobby Wagner back. And as a former D-line coach, I have to assume that Hurtt signed off on the decisions to cut Poona Ford, Al Wood and Shelby Harris, and feels that we will be better with the changes.

Hurtt has a good reputation and had offers to go elsewhere if he didn't get the DC job in Seattle. He's also known as a fiery competitor and good at motivating the troops. A few years ago, there was a story about how he destroyed video equipment in the locker room at halftime when he was upset by the performance of the defensive line. God only knows what he must have destroyed after watching the defense last year!

morgulon1

Reaction score

I pledged to be kinder and gentler to Mr Hurtt and I plan on keeping my promise.
He had a rough 1st season as coordinator. As fans we contemplate whether he's in over his head or maybe
Mr Pete is all up in his business.
I think he'll be fine especially with a year under his belt. I'm betting they are better this season . I'm betting Mr Hurtt's job.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Clint was in training last year just like most of our promoted DCs. He will improve as well as a DC. He is a great line coach but running the entire ship rather than aspects of them requires some on the job training. I hope he comes through this year, Pete is big on in grown DCs, but his biggest success was from having experienced DCs. Will have to just wait and see. I still am rooting for him!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure I follow his logic about being better on the back end = helps with the scheme change and rush?

KJ said a couple weeks ago if the front seven doesn't play better, then it really doesn't matter what's going on in the defensive backfield.

I get what Hurtt is saying, but it's backward logic to me. If your front seven isn't getting consistent pressure and disruption? You're doomed as a defense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yeah coverage sacks don't matter if offense doesn't need to pass for the 1st down. Now if you can stop the run and create 3rd and long situations, then coverage sacks matter.

On paper the personnel is better this year, so if the defense is ranked bottom third, Hurtt will have run out of excuses.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it's hard for him to say without any padded practices that ....

We're in Cap hell and can't sign top tier guys, we will suck badly again, we are trying to churn cream to the top with UDFA Rookies and Aged Veterans. By Mid season we hope they all Gel and we are respectable.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I was struck by one particular play last year towards the end of the season. Maybe against the lambs? Camera angle was on the right side of our D, looking towards the other guys' QB. Our linebacker (Brooks, at that time?) was running towards the line, there was a giant opening on his right and some blocking clogging up his left. So he took a sharp left and went to help out the blocking on his left as the running back wizzed past on his right for a huge gain. I was absolutely livid watching the replay. I'm no Xs and Os guy, but that was plainly a terrible way to play D, and I believe was a microcosm of what was going wrong last year. That sort of chickenshit bullshit has to stop.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I was struck by one particular play last year towards the end of the season. Maybe against the lambs? Camera angle was on the right side of our D, looking towards the other guys' QB. Our linebacker (Brooks, at that time?) was running towards the line, there was a giant opening on his right and some blocking clogging up his left. So he took a sharp left and went to help out the blocking on his left as the running back wizzed past on his right for a huge gain. I was absolutely livid watching the replay. I'm no Xs and Os guy, but that was plainly a terrible way to play D, and I believe was a microcosm of what was going wrong last year. That sort of chickenshit bullshit has to stop.
I'm no football coach or expert, but I completely agree. Brooks and Barton seemed to have very poor gap assignments and discipline.

I'm not sure if this is coaching or what, but I felt like our linebackers allowed a lot of big plays that shouldn't have been just by shooting the wrong gap, taking a bad angle, or missing a tackle.

Hopefully Bush and Wagner clean that up this year

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Considering the major overhaul in defense last season, are we really surprised at how bad the run defense was?

This scheme change to a 3-4 was not going to all of a sudden become an elite defense the same season.

The defensive line was reconstructed on the fly with spare parts. Last years draft rebuilt the offensive line and didn’t really focus on defensive line. So Hurtt and Carroll must have anticipated a long year ahead of them in stopping the run.

The pass rush was mediocre and as good as it could be with what they had to use.

Maybe, we expected entirely too much from the run defense last year with a front four really comprised of cast offs and an incomplete build.

This year will be better because the focus switched back to the the defensive line. So if Seattle improves which it will because this off season and the draft focused on defense, this year will look like a 180 from last season.

Ultimately, if you are a good coach, and you watch film, you can dissect what didn’t work and add pieces to address weak areas and you change what you are going to do this year cause you understand some schemes does not work today.

Summary:

The division minus San Francisco (Niners also have questions at QB) appears to be rebuilding.

Seattle added more talent and understands what does not work with their personnel, Seattle, by logic, should be a better team overall.

If Seattle’s defense again isn’t good this year, the problem is maybe Hurtt, but last year, Seattle had a lot of holes they were in the process of repairing, so I give Hurtt another year. Since there are more defensive pieces this season, Hurtt, can prove himself this season. If it’s terrible, I can see him being let go after this season.

We shall see.