Breda Report: The Vilification of Russell Wilson

toffee

Reaction score
A few random thoughts:
  1. Wilson was a Hawaii shirts-wearing dude in his first 3 years, he wasn't in his last three.
  2. Wilson was a gift-buying to OL guys initially, he threw OL under the bus in his later years.
  3. Wilson was a Pete guy as Pete protected him from LOB, he wanted to get Pete fired before he was traded.
  4. Wilson was accused of not being black enough during LOB years, no one accused him of that in his later years.
In short, Wilson evolved, as one would with age and wealth.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
A few random thoughts:
  1. Wilson was a Hawaii shirts wearing dude in his first 3 years, he wasn't in his last three.
  2. Wilson was a buying gift to OL guy initially, he threw OL under the bus in his later years.
  3. Wilson was a Pete guy as Pete protected him from LOB, he wanted to get Pete fired before he was traded.
  4. Wilson was accused of not being black enough during LOB years, no one accused him of that in his later years.
In short, Wilson evolved, as one would as one age, and gathered huge wealth.

#24 was black enough for the both of them.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm starving. I really could use a DangerWich right about now!

Meh - he's just a poser now. Canton? Are you kidding me?

Air Raid offense anyone?

bileever

Reaction score
There are very few men (and women) who can avoid the pitfalls of money and power. Power corrupts, and money consistently changes people for the worse. I have never met a wealthy person who didn't feel that he worth every dollar. Extreme wealth makes you a narcissist.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Back in 2012, Russell Wilson walked into the away team's tunnel after a heart-daggering loss to the Atlanta Falcons in the divisional round of the playoffs. This was a game that any player and coach for the Seahawks knew they should have won. Coach Pete Carroll has said on numerous occasions that he didn't get "100 steps..." or so into the tunnel before Russell came up to him and said in paraphrase: "Coach, we are going to win the Super Bowl next year."

It was a remarkable insight and a hint of presumptuousness that is rare for a rookie QB.

That Super Bowl played in New Orleans just weeks later was attended by one Russell Wilson. Rumor has it he showed up early, walked the field and observed the stretching routines of the 49ers and Ravens for one simple reason; He wanted to visualize what it looked like to be in the Super Bowl. He took it in, every moment, observing what he would always say for years to come, no matter the importance of the game, the field is still just "53.3 yards wide and 100 yards long" emphasizing what was the central paradigm of Pete Carroll which is to not treat any game like it's more important than any other. In the end, it's just football. That way you are neutral in your collective emotions for any game, great or small.

We all know what was to become of the next season when Russell and the LOB enjoyed the first Championship in team history with a massive exclamation mark against which was at the time the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL.

To truncate the story, some very important markers changed Russell. His marriage to the lukewarm pop star Ciara and the infamous ending to Super Bowl 49 against the Patriots that is still debated feverishly to this day.

These elements simply changed the man.

Somewhere in this general timeline, Russell went from "no time to sleep" to living and breathing for his "brand" and "legacy". Suddenly, perfume endorsements and front cover magazine shots (appearing naked from the waist up on a horse) seemed to be the new focus. Not that he stopped football altogether but it became a clear and concise directive to build his self-perceived brand. This became a fracture to the health of the locker room, which is one of the most underrated aspects of a Championship-caliber team.

As the years rolled on it became more and more clear that that elusive second ring was existentially floating away like the volleyball ironically named "Wilson" in Tom Hank's movie Castaway.

The ugly narrative of Russ not being "black enough" compiled with his clear separation from his teammates and being coddled by Pete Carroll further strengthened the vast cavernous divide. Suddenly, the upstart quarterback became inflamed by desire for ego-centric pursuits completing the tragic end to what could have been a - dare we say - dynasty.

We all know how the story ends. Russell demanded more control of the offense so he could "cook". It worked brilliantly, until it didn't. Allegedly he asked ownership to remove Pete and John so he could basically run the team as he saw fit. He ended up shipped to Denver and received his just desserts.

Still, regardless of career trajectory, acute tone-deafness and ego-driven pursuits, it seems somehow cruel how he is now received by the average fan. Especially Seahawks fans. Somehow, like magic, all the years that he was a magician on the field, creating victories from the mouth of defeat, have been erased from the memories of many. All that seems to matter now is the breakup and his apparent demise.

He's become a caricature. Forgotten is his ability to lead his men into battle ("Why not us?!"), his earnest desire to help others and ultimately his seemingly genuine desire to be a decent human being.

Russell's relentless passion to win MVP or another ring may or may not ever come to light (and the ultimate destination of Canton is seemingly more and more distant by the day).

Whether it's a lesson in human condition or the perpetual pursuit of success becomes the same side of a shiny coin.

Russell Wilson for all of his success and failures, is a mirror to all of us. We all have our moments of glory within our lives, as well as the shadows of regret we all wish to forget.

In the end, what none of us can deny, is that he's one of us.

Human.
Awesome writing there....well done! I have Seahawks Superbowl pictures throughout the house, everything from the famous Sherman "The Tip" , to the Superbowl win and various pictures of individual players from that time period. Every time I look at those pictures, my mind focuses on the Wilson of before the Super Bowl win and how inspiring he seemed to be to everyone at the time. I think my mind tends to block out everything after that, his marriage, future endorsements etc when he became a more selfish type individual. Football life unraveled along with this legacy...it's too bad. I think if he had held on to the mentality in the beginning and stayed focused...what great things might have been for both him, the organization and the fans who believed in him. So close to that dynasty..so close.

Threedee

Reaction score
I don't resent Wilson or Ciara (or Ashton). I do laugh at some of the memes, and, in surprise at how badly he has cratered since arriving in Denver.

Still resent Darrell F. Bevell, though. Can we fire that clown agan?!!? That should be Macdonald's first order of business.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seriously Beautiful writeup Todd; I'm sorry, but, I don't feel bad for the guy because #1, he has a Super Bowl Ring to remind him of how good he had it back when he was just a pup & ONE of the players that HELPED weave the Magic to win Super Bowl 48.
I truly believe that as THE Quarterback, he saw himself as a cut above everyone else on the team, his OTHER Teamers knew that he still needed to refine his game, and as much as I love what Pete orchestrated in the early years, he spent too much effort coddling/protecting Wilson, and what did Pete get for his efforts? RESENTMENT by a few guys that WERE just as much the reason for that Super Bowl Victory and all those early on successes.
After my 2nd week of singing on my Weekly 1 hour Radio gig, I was approached by a Record Producer for Melody Records (Nashville Tenn.), he told me that if and when I wanted to record my songs to just give him a call...I DIDN'T FOLLOW UP, and that was on naive me.
So you might be wondering what the hell my life experiences have to do with Wilson? well, I don't feel sorry for me, and I sure as he!! don't feels sorry for a Multi-Millionaire who blames others for his mess-ups.
The last straw for me was when he purportedly went to Jodi and told her to get shed of Pete & John.

Last edited:

Weadoption

Reaction score
Steely Wilson looking good.
Hope the dude lights it the fk up.
IMG 1333

chris98251

Reaction score
Denver is very Yuppy/ Woke/New Age what ever you want to call it in general from my experiences in Colorado, get away from the Metro and not so much. He looked the part, Now he is trying to look more conservative and Steel townish wearing all Black, it is also more slimming so he doesn't get fat jokes as well.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm probably late to the party noticing the change. For me it was during the 2020 season - the year he put up all-wordly numbers early the year "let Russ cook" took off. When he announced he was doing a Tuesday podcast, I know it's their day off. But I will still thinking of "no time to sleep" and "the separation is in the preparation" Russ and this seemed out of character.

Then there were some questionable decisions like the picks in the Arizona loss and then that terrible throw into coverage vs LA when he had open room in front of him. The game that really had me become critical and a turning point in my defending him all the time was the loss to the Giants. Easy to blame the line, but so many times that game he just held the ball looking downfield. I am sure I was screaming check it down at the TV. Even then I blamed Schotti for not having check down...I am sure now I was wrong.

Then of course the "Im sick of getting hit" and all that followed after that.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Steely Wilson looking good.
Hope the dude lights it the fk up.
View attachment 65903
That picture? He looks exactly the same as he did after embarrassing losses in Denver, telling the media that he's going to work hard and turn it around and he doesn't know any other way and he's all about winning...