All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

• Absolutely.

Votes: 82 43.9%
  • You know what? Yes, I think I would.

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • Hmmmm. I am not sure. I think he's the obvious scapegoat at times.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I don't think so. We can't blame everything on Bevell.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Not at all. He's actually a much better OC than we give him credit for.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rq36648e said:
I'm perfectly willing to start blaming Pete for some things, and I have been. I'll give you that. But then you have to start asking about Bevell's specific play-call choices. We were back to long sideline bombs on 3rd down this week, and taking Michael out in favor of Alex Collins.

Why don't we complain when those 3rd down sideline bombs result in long completions and TD's............as they have a very high rate with Russell as our QB?

That's what Pete and Bevell have coached Russell to do, that's why. If the defense shows blitz or 8-9 men in the box and there's one on one coverage on the outside? Check out of the play and try and burn the defense.

Michael went out cause he needed a break, he's not at the point where he can carry the ball 30 times in 90+ degree heat. Rawls was hurt, so in went Collins.

Did you also notice Russell has to literally tell Michael the play twice almost EVERY play? In the huddle and then he's still confused with the pass pro. Which is why Russell kept running the clock down to zero seemingly every play trying to get the protection right.

Everyone's in love with Michael again, but man is he still a dummy when it comes to pass pro and ball protection. He ain't ready to be our every down back, he's just not.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Mr. Bevell is doing the best he can. There is no lack of effort. What a majority of us on Seahawks.net observe is that those efforts leave much to be desired. Because of a very close friendship with Pete, it is now clear that will take a failure to make the Post Season play-offs for Pete to replace Mr. Bevell. Face it my fellow .netters, we will have to go into football "hell" before a change will be forthcoming.

mrt144

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3rbl8hql said:
I have no doubt that Mr. Bevell is doing the best he can. There is no lack of effort. What a majority of us on Seahawks.net observe is that those efforts leave much to be desired. Because of a very close friendship with Pete, it is now clear that will take a failure to make the Post Season play-offs for Pete to replace Mr. Bevell. Face it my fellow .netters, we will have to go into football "hell" before a change will be forthcoming.

Sometimes you can only learn by falling flat on your face - I would have thought that SB49 and the subsequent start in 2015 was clear signal to vigilance.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fans make knee-jerk reactions. Pete is the best at doing what he does, so I'm confident he knows all the variables.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mrt144":mcy42rgb said:
Bigpumpkin":mcy42rgb said:

Sometimes you can only learn by falling flat on your face - I would have thought that SB49 and the subsequent start in 2015 was clear signal to vigilance.

It seems to be part of the human experience, doesn't it.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3u2iey4b said:
Fans make knee-jerk reactions. Pete is the best at doing what he does, so I'm confident he knows all the variables.

Nobody knows all the variables...nobody.

Largent80

Reaction score
Last time I looked games in September DO count. I could care less if Bevell finally adjusts the game plans later in the year. EACH FRIGGIN GAME matters to HFA and that is something the Seahawks need.

RussB

Reaction score
He can be good, but i feel like he is holding the offense back. Hes very predictable and and simply cant get players involved, also forces things. Hes just so inconsistent and you need to be consistent in this league. OC's have been fired for being alot better than he is , the bills OC helped them put up 31 points and got booted, and ive seen things like that around the NFL all the time. His terrible playcalling has helped them score 1 TD in 2 games and there isnt even talk about him getting fired.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h6d1473 said:
MontanaHawk05":2h6d1473 said:
I'm perfectly willing to start blaming Pete for some things, and I have been. I'll give you that. But then you have to start asking about Bevell's specific play-call choices. We were back to long sideline bombs on 3rd down this week, and taking Michael out in favor of Alex Collins.

Why don't we complain when those 3rd down sideline bombs result in long completions and TD's............as they have a very high rate with Russell as our QB?

I do complain. Those shots are a double-edged sword when we could accomplish the same thing in a few high-percentage shots.

My read on it is that Pete is too absorbed in the psychological side of football. He knows those massive chunk plays are demoralizing and he wants them at almost any cost. I wish he'd just take the most sustainable method to getting it done. It's why we've only got one Super Bowl trophy when this team has enough talent to have four.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If every team had a sub-forum dedicated to firing their OC, it would be the most popular forum for every team.

It's easy and lazy.

Our run game has serious, potentially catastrophic issues. Our QB is obviously limited. But let's not talk about any of that. There are pitchforks to hand out.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Largent80":2xb80taq said:
Last time I looked games in September DO count. I could care less if Bevell finally adjusts the game plans later in the year. EACH FRIGGIN GAME matters to HFA and that is something the Seahawks need.

Exactly. Is our goal to make the playoffs or to win the superbowl? Many of us have been fans for a long time, and I hate to see even one game when the talent on this team is wasted by poor coaching. It is definititely an issue, and has been for a while. It needs to be addressed. With this defense and our offense, 2 superbowl wins and 2 appearances with better offensive gameplans were in the cards. The strengths of this coaching staff are player selection and development, team and practice atmosphere and cap management. Offensive gameplanhas been lacking, and always has.

If you want to see the biggest gains, practice and correct your worst areas. Offensive playcalling, strategy and adjustment has been a thorn in our side for years. I don't think anyone can argue that point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3lbogaod said:
Siouxhawk":3lbogaod said:

Nobody knows all the variables...nobody.

Right, on either team.

This is the NFL, it's hard, really hard to go on the road and win.......even against the worst teams.

It's confusing to me when people just continue to blame Bevell or the usual refrain of "why aren't we just awesome every week!" Ain't that easy, and it ain't that simple.

But here's what we do know, we have one of the best owners, coaching staffs and talented rosters in the league. So I have no doubt this team will do what it does every year it's existed under this regime..............get better and better as the season goes along and give us another great shot at winning a SB by the end of the year.

A

Anonymous

I voted no.

Defenses and their coaches have figured the Hawks O out, and have equipped themselves to deal with us accordingly. When you are watching the playoffs and the SB from the comfort of your own home, you begin to start thinking of ways to keep yourself in that home. You come up with plans and schemes to defend what was successful and caused you to be sitting where you are. You are held accountable for what went wrong. So, you come up with stuff. Teams have.

For our coaches, the task at hand is to develop new twists on the same success. That means you have to try things out to see what is successful against the teams that are now tooled-up to defend you. That is a tall order, even if you have elite talent on the roster. When the talent gets a little beat up, it makes it doubly hard. When you have serious injuries, even worse.

I think at this point it could be a whole hell of a lot worse for us. We are sitting at 1-1, and were 0-2 at this point last year. That is progress, however small. The last two weeks we have faced (arguably) 2 of the most formidable defensive fronts in the league, and to come out with an even record is the best we could have hoped for with recovering talent, and recently banged up talent. Again, it could be a whole lot worse.

Being a fan of the team since the beginning, I tend to look at the whole body of work and lean on that. Without researching stats or calling-up gifs, we all can agree these have been our most successful years in team history. I am comforted by that. We have had waaayyyy worse coaching over the years and I have yet to see a clear reason to toss out the Offensive Coordinator now, beyond simply just to see if it makes things better. That is a big gamble, and not one I have decided I'm ready to see just yet.

Whether or not you want to place blame on Bevell for the call in SB 49 and not on Pete, that's fine. But they had a meeting on the sidelines that all the coaches had input on while the commercials were playing. They went with what they figured would be the best option. Belichick sent in the goalline D. The DB gambled, and he won. Great play for them. Had things been an inch or so different, we would have won and we wouldn't be having this little chat.

For an OC, it is impossible to come up with a series of plays that will create 100% success all of the time. I said it in the game-day forum yesterday; run run pass?, pass run pass?, pass pass pass?, run run run?, run pass pass?, it didn't matter. Nothing worked to throw the D out of their gameplan and get players to cheat one way or another. Up the middle?, off tackle?, around the end?, nothing worked. They looked for specific sets and played them, and did not react in a way that enabled us to expose them with audibles. We hoped to catch them in certain formations and to react a certain way, and we focused on matchups, but they prepared and were coached to react accordingly. Sometimes you can figure out how they are defending you and counter, sometimes you can't. All you can do is put the best you have in a position and the players then are tasked with making plays. To top it all off, they had a twelfth-man of their own, the refs.

Bevell didn't poke the ball out of C-Mike's hands there at the end. Bevell didn't wear number 88 yesterday and jump the snap-count in our final drive. Bevell didn't plat LT and get beat repeatedly, and Bevell didn't take 3 flags out of his back pocket for OPI when our receivers were doing what they always have done before. We were jobbed.

Yesterday I see as an anomaly. Anytime a team has it's first home game in a new stadium, with about 20 legendary players in attendance wearing gold jackets, and 900 celebrities in the stands wearing blue and yellow, we're toast. Nope, yesterday Goodell made a cell phone call, simple as that. If you need more evidence, take a look at Pete's reactions yesterday to the OPI calls. In recent memory, I can think of no other game in which he went nuts like that. He knew the calls were bad and we were being played. He knew it plain as day. No OC can overcome a SB-40 type jobbing. To believe any different is a stretch to me.

Yesterday we were simply the losing team in a celebration of the new Los Angeles Rams, and there was no way we were coming out of that game victorious. Today we are all second-guessing everything to attempt to explain it. Bevell is just a convenient spot to place blame.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3bud9hyj said:
Because of a very close friendship with Pete, it is now clear that will take a failure to make the Post Season play-offs for Pete to replace Mr. Bevell. Face it my fellow .netters, we will have to go into football "hell" before a change will be forthcoming.

So now Pete Carroll is actively damaging the franchise and his own legacy in the name of friendship.

Now we really have heard it all.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xcvja0z said:
If every team had a sub-forum dedicated to firing their OC, it would be the most popular forum for every team.

It's easy and lazy.

Our run game has serious, potentially catastrophic issues. Our QB is obviously limited. But let's not talk about any of that. There are pitchforks to hand out.

There would be two subforums - o line and OC, for sure. If you're saying that the problems of the team are beyond Bevell's control, influence and accountability then we should be resigned to the grotesque offense we've seen so far until shown otherwise.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1ns98sdj said:
Largent80":1ns98sdj said:

Exactly. Is our goal to make the playoffs or to win the superbowl? Many of us have been fans for a long time, and I hate to see even one game when the talent on this team is wasted by poor coaching. It is definititely an issue, and has been for a while. It needs to be addressed. With this defense and our offense, 2 superbowl wins and 2 appearances with better offensive gameplans were in the cards. The strengths of this coaching staff are player selection and development, team and practice atmosphere and cap management. Offensive gameplanhas been lacking, and always has.

If you want to see the biggest gains, practice and correct your worst areas. Offensive playcalling, strategy and adjustment has been a thorn in our side for years. I don't think anyone can argue that point.
I'd argue that point completely. Over the last 4 years, we are one of the most successful franchises in the league. So we go through a little bit of a feeling-out process early. Big whoop. If you've paid attention, you'd realize how successful we've been as the season progresses. Our coaching staff is a huge part of that. The solution you seem to be espousing is one endorsed by the Cleveland's and Buffalo's of the NFL world and how has that worked out for them?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's too late now. If the season goes off the rails then sure, entertain that idea down the road. But firing your OC two games in makes no sense at all especially given the guy who would replace him.

randomation

Reaction score
Well the guy who could replace him could be the guy who took someone who was Russ very light a career backup and turned them into a pro bowler with a suspect line. He also took an actually limited QB and made him look like an all pro.

Either that or back up a dump truck to McDaniels's house until he is willing to leave Satan.

Largent80

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3o9gww38 said:
johnnyfever":3o9gww38 said:
Largent80":3o9gww38 said:

So we go through a little bit of a feeling-out process early. Big whoop.

Yeah, big whoop, we go to a freezing Minnesota and only escape with a win because the kicker couldn't make a 27 yard field goal. The following week we were down 31-0 before mounting a much too late "comeback"....

16 games. They all count and especially division games. Each time we have been to the SB we have been the #1 seed and had HFA. Big whoop.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3n88rm2k said:
johnnyfever":3n88rm2k said:
Largent80":3n88rm2k said:

I'd argue that point completely. Over the last 4 years, we are one of the most successful franchises in the league. So we go through a little bit of a feeling-out process early. Big whoop. If you've paid attention, you'd realize how successful we've been as the season progresses. Our coaching staff is a huge part of that. The solution you seem to be espousing is one endorsed by the Cleveland's and Buffalo's of the NFL world and how has that worked out for them?

I'm a big fan of a level head. It's why I appreciate posters like Sioux who do not go off the rails with things aren't going well.

But I do want to ask this maybe a different way, Sioux.

If this was a player, our QB let's say, that was noticeably struggling for some time, how long do you go before you make the change, regardless of his past successes?