All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

• Absolutely.

Votes: 82 43.9%
  • You know what? Yes, I think I would.

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • Hmmmm. I am not sure. I think he's the obvious scapegoat at times.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I don't think so. We can't blame everything on Bevell.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Not at all. He's actually a much better OC than we give him credit for.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

getnasty

Reaction score
No, Bevell may not be a world beater but you have to cut him some slack. He's so limited in what he can do with the OL playing the way they are. Plus like J said it's not like we have elite skill position players. Well get better on offense just like we always do, just hope the defense can generate some turnovers until we do.

hawker84

Reaction score
Yep. Never liked him as our OC. I'm one of the few who think we won that SB despite his scheme and play calling that year. I'm not even going to comment about SB#2.

He has proven year in year out, he can rarely put together a great game plan to start the game. He is extremely slow to make adjustments, usually at least a half. And does not know how to utilize RW properly (he's a duel threat QB, can we take advantage of that please. And can some please tell him he doesn't need to run on every first down, or on 2 and 13. I've said for years he is way too predictable, teams have figured him out, and he either refuses to evolve, or is incapable of it.

Could we do worse, absolutely.. but there's a reason he's been our OC for what 6 years and has still not been offered a HC gig. JMO.

Largent80

Reaction score
I voted absolutely simply because he isn't fooling anyone, and teams know exactly what is coming. It's easy to see just sitting on the couch.

It is time for a change.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure every play they called depended on the O-line blocking.

We have no left tackle. Who's fault is that?

Vetamur

Reaction score
So weve literally gotten to the point people just directly say if we win it has nothing to do with Bevell, and if we lose its all his fault?

And talking about our talent?? I love ADB. What other OC would have gotten a 14 td season out of him? Show me a similar player type that has that happen? Year after year he is given FBs and TEs to use who were selling cars or stocking shelves a week before.. We won a Super Bowl with an all UDFA WR corps except for Harvin. Show me another team that does that please. No..dont say "well thats because PC and JS find the talent". They find the talent that they think Bevell can work with.

Year after year we see QBs come into the pros and not do well, and their OCs do them no favors. I think people forget that Bevell was able to change the Seahawks offense mid season Wilson's rookie year to take advantage of his unique talents. I think OCs forcing a Qb to fit their system is far more common than the opposite.

Play calling is the easiest thing in the world to be critical of. Its the most visible thing an OC does to outside eyes, but its not the only thing they do..and even play calling.. the criticism is sometimes funny. Calls for Bevells head for calling something "boring" at some points, then for being too cute others.. So often, really, it comes down to execution. A play can be called that basically fine..but if it doesnt work, THEN its a horrible call. Even the Horror of All Plays, upon objective reflection, wasnt that bad. The WORST result normally would have been an incomplete pass. A great play was made.

This doesnt mean I think Bevell is an A+ OC. I think PC and JS now that getting to the Super Bowl is a difficult, difficult thing. I think most coaches and systems dont even have a chance.. if you have the right chemistry its valuable and Id be loathe to play with it as well.

I think Bevell is a B- OC, overall. I think he is a A or A- on the stuff we dont notice as much and a C play caller..

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":yrwrllcs said:
So weve literally gotten to the point people just directly say if we win it has nothing to do with Bevell, and if we lose its all his fault?

And talking about our talent?? I love ADB. What other OC would have gotten a 14 td season out of him? Show me a similar player type that has that happen? Year after year he is given FBs and TEs to use who were selling cars or stocking shelves a week before.. We won a Super Bowl with an all UDFA WR corps except for Harvin. Show me another team that does that please. No..dont say "well thats because PC and JS find the talent". They find the talent that they think Bevell can work with.

Year after year we see QBs come into the pros and not do well, and their OCs do them no favors. I think people forget that Bevell was able to change the Seahawks offense mid season Wilson's rookie year to take advantage of his unique talents. I think OCs forcing a Qb to fit their system is far more common than the opposite.

Play calling is the easiest thing in the world to be critical of. Its the most visible thing an OC does to outside eyes, but its not the only thing they do..and even play calling.. the criticism is sometimes funny. Calls for Bevells head for calling something "boring" at some points, then for being too cute others.. So often, really, it comes down to execution. A play can be called that basically fine..but if it doesnt work, THEN its a horrible call. Even the Horror of All Plays, upon objective reflection, wasnt that bad. The WORST result normally would have been an incomplete pass. A great play was made.

This doesnt mean I think Bevell is an A+ OC. I think PC and JS now that getting to the Super Bowl is a difficult, difficult thing. I think most coaches and systems dont even have a chance.. if you have the right chemistry its valuable and Id be loathe to play with it as well.

I think Bevell is a B- OC, overall. I think he is a A or A- on the stuff we dont notice as much and a C play caller..
I really like every point you make and how you convey it, Vetamur.

Bevell has done so much in coaching our offense up and the result has been a perennial NFC Super Bowl contender. The sample size of that statement is the last 4 years, not the second game of the season.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Just to be clear :
"Boring" and "too cute" are NOT opposite terms when 98.6% of us say either of those things. Someone speak up if I'm wrong.
It's about situational football...awareness.
Bevell, and even our HEAD COACH, seem to lack it at times. With DB it's in an almost uncomfortable comical way. Like seeing a mentally person trying to do something mundane and screw up horribly.

nash72

Reaction score
Absolutely he should be fired. He should have been fired a few years ago. We won a Super Bowl with a historically great defense that allowed the team to be stagnant on offense for long periods of time. We no longer have that luxury and the results are telling. Why does it always take an entire half to figure things out? What the heck were they doing throughout the week? Why is there so many 4th quarter comebacks? Its sad. Bevell has no clue how to utilize personnel matchups and is so predictable that its downright embarrassing. Its just a shame that a team being billed as a dynasty a few years ago will end up having one of the shortest windows ever and only one title to show for it (don't get me started on the worst call ever in professional sports that cost us a second). The biggest glaring problem with Pete Carroll is his ego and his loyalty to his coaching staff. Bevell should have been canned after the super bowl loss and Paul Allen should have made sure it happened. Seriously, it would be amazing to see Wilson QB a competent offense. With all that being said, this team won a super bowl a few years ago and not one team,,,not one,,,has shown interest in making Darrell Bevell a head coach. Why is that? The defensive coordinators sure didn't have that problem.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Rob12":2r9h4sto said:
I probably wouldn't. But if I was Pete, I'd be having some very direct discussions with him.

I just don't think there's an upgrade out there in Week 2 of the NFL season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. If you're going to fire Bevell, who is the replacement ? Sure, he's terrible at times, but he's also responsible for the development of Wilson. He's done a lot of good things. I'm tired of Fisher eating his lunch, I'm tired of piss poor play calling every 1st quarter, I'm tired of seeing very slow adjustments in game and in season.

That said, like another poster above said.....we've been top 5 in the league in offensive DVOA for a good bit of time. You better have a damn good replaclement already set up, because there's a lot farther to go down than up (Sunday excluded).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But wait he does not have his 3rd string rookie TE or his 4th string rookie RB that has never done anything ever....

Of course I would fire him. He sucks. Always has.

blue 22

Reaction score
Hawks46":1iralba3 said:
Rob12":1iralba3 said:
I probably wouldn't. But if I was Pete, I'd be having some very direct discussions with him.

I just don't think there's an upgrade out there in Week 2 of the NFL season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. If you're going to fire Bevell, who is the replacement ? Sure, he's terrible at times, but he's also responsible for the development of Wilson. He's done a lot of good things. I'm tired of Fisher eating his lunch, I'm tired of piss poor play calling every 1st quarter, I'm tired of seeing very slow adjustments in game and in season.

That said, like another poster above said.....we've been top 5 in the league in offensive DVOA for a good bit of time. You better have a damn good replaclement already set up, because there's a lot farther to go down than up (Sunday excluded).

Trust me. We would be fine. We are good because of the players and petes system. NOT BEV. We plug in different D coordinators every two or three years I don't see why we couldn't do better or just as good without changing the O coordinator.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yes. Bevell needs to stop watching ROCKY II for inspiration.
Before he came to Seattle he was with the Vikings and a great collection of talent. The vikings offense struggled early in games because they were playcalling a predictable run-first play-action offense. Favre eventually changed plays much the same as what Wilson did in the Miami game to pull out a win.

Ozzy

Reaction score
dogorama":vqvcv2gi said:
It's really a tough call because I think Bevell, PC, Schneider, and Cable have all contributed to this problem. The way that they let this O-line devolve the way they did is indefensible.

But I will say this, I have tried to remain objective about Bevell but when CMike had those two good runs we had their DC and defense on their heels, then, we come back w/two identical runs into a line that wasn't giving up anything in the middle all day. That was bad enough but we tried to do it w/a rookie back who hadn't even been in the game. Not something I would expect to see from an NFL OC, especially one from one of the top teams in the league. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Good post.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Not a fan of doing it now the season has started, who is he being replaced with? I'm not familiar with the college game to know who we get instead, or would it be a promote from within job? Replacing him is only worth it if his replacement is better, and that isn't a given. Think a lot of his detractors forget that.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Been openly wanting a new OC since before the SB loss but mid season firings typically don't go well. I'd assume Cable would step in but from what I hear, he is mostly focused on the running game?

If this continues at home next week against the 49ers and the touchdown depression continues, I sincerely hope something happens behind the scenes.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not close enough to the situation to know for sure which route to go, but I don't think the Bevell-Cable thing is working. One of them needs to go and one of them needs to be given the keys to the offensive kingdom. My gut tells me Bevell needs to go but I am sympathic to the argument that he is running the offense the way Pete (and possibly Cable) want it to be run. This team is not a run first team. You can not invest so little in the offensive line and think you'll be able to dictage the game through the running game. Whoever is behind that thinking is who needs to be changed out (or if it is Pete, needs to learn to keep out of it).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I always get confused by the crap Bevell takes in here.

You guys do know that this is Pete's team right? From day one he has given all his coaches and coordinators the parameters for which he wants his team not only be built, but the schemes and plays he wants to see.

Pete's never wavered on his we wanna pound the rock, be a run first physical ball control offense. So that's how Bevell and Russell scheme each and every week.

We saw what Russell and Bevell can do at the end of last season when Lynch went down. Highest rated offense in the league for the last half of the season.

So all you Bevell haters have your vitriol misplaced. Bevell and Russell are just a conduit for how Pete wants his offense run.............and it just looks like crap at the beginning of seasons, it just does. It's a momentum offense meant to shine when it counts, in November and December. September? Err...........not so much.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Then honestly, he's doing a crappy job of buidling the offense. It's not built for the scheme he seems to want to run.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37oym7fg said:
I always get confused by the crap Bevell takes in here.

As I admitted in my post, I'm torn on how much blame Bevell deserves. But I will say according to what I've read here, he did call two runs up the middle with Collins, right? And I recall having seen him do a bubble screen to Graham last year. Those are pretty boneheaded plays you can't really blame on Pete's philosophy.