All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

All Kidding Aside...Would You Fire Bevell?

• Absolutely.

Votes: 82 43.9%
  • You know what? Yes, I think I would.

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • Hmmmm. I am not sure. I think he's the obvious scapegoat at times.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I don't think so. We can't blame everything on Bevell.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Not at all. He's actually a much better OC than we give him credit for.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2m7a6490 said:
It's not going to happen ... and shouldn't happen. We'll get it back together and Bevell will play a big role in that.

It's not a real question anyway it shouldn't happen till the season is over and if they turn it around there's no need to replace anyone. This post is contingent on them not making the playoffs imo.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":39g1wd5i said:
Siouxhawk":39g1wd5i said:
It's not going to happen ... and shouldn't happen. We'll get it back together and Bevell will play a big role in that.

It's not a real question anyway it shouldn't happen till the season is over and if they turn it around there's no need to replace anyone. This post is contingent on them not making the playoffs imo.
Exactly. And our track record at doing that has been pretty darn spiffy.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ntrp1ud said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ntrp1ud said:
I would have after he threw Lockette under the bus after that play.
He never did that.

Bevell stated "we could've been more aggressive to the ball." It was a passive-aggressive and indirect way of placing the outcome of the play on Lockette. PC fell on the sword, but had Bevell instead made some sort of self-accountable statement, he would've earned a measure of respect from the players. By taking no apparent blame at all, he endured a lot of scorn from the media, fans and likely, the team.

Rob12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":sub9wsze said:
West TX Hawk":sub9wsze said:
I voted "absolutely" because there has to be an official accountability for the direction of the offense. With the immense offensive talent the Hawks have, the scheme, player utilization and situational play calling have all been called into question.

Other than Russell Wilson (who was at about 50% of his normal self) what immense offensive talent? We have a bunch of guys who nobody else in the league wanted. I'm no Darrell Bevell fan, but it could be argued he does more with less than most of the coaches in the league.

This is actually a great point.

Wilson - 3rd Round pick
Rawls - Undrafted
Baldwin - Undrafted
Kearse - Undrafted
Lockett - 3rd Round Pick
Richardson - 2nd Round pick

It's not like the FO has spent early draft capital on skill positions. So it at least gives you something to think about.

Still... Never admitting that you should have ran the ball from the 1 in SB 49 with Beast has left a sour taste in so many of our mouths.

Rob12

Reaction score
kf3339":39uvqwra said:
I voted "Yes, I think I would".

At some point someone has to be held accountable for this type of offensive lack of production. We are now into the 7th year of PC and I believe 5th (?) year of Bevell. Wouldn't you think by now that we should be able to field a credible NFL offense on a weekly basis? I mean, common on already.

The holes on this offense and the excuses we hear from PC, DB, TC and company just don't hold any water or truth anymore. And the excuses and apologist on this board sometimes are just as bad to read on a regular basis.

If it Isn't the line play, it's the playcalling. If it Isn't the personnel packages, it's the timid nature of some offensive players themselves. But mostly it's the undeniable fact that this team never wants to be aggressive out the gate and dominate in the first half.

AT ALL!

NEVER!

For the life of me I can't see how Paul Allen doesn't see this as well. I do understand that he isn't really a football guy and bought the team only as a favor to the city. But you would have to be a blind man or dead not to see this crap in front of your eyes. Last I heard he is neither of these, so I just don't get it.

PS: I don't want to hear about the Super Bowl's or what happened two or more years ago. I live in the here and now; not the past.

DVOA is hard to argue with though. Despite you saying that you don't want to hear about the past, it's relevant, as recent as last year. And judging by that, Seattle has had an elite offense for at least a few years now. I'm pissed at Bevell too, but I'm trying to not let recency bias play too big of a part.

dogorama

Reaction score
It's really a tough call because I think Bevell, PC, Schneider, and Cable have all contributed to this problem. The way that they let this O-line devolve the way they did is indefensible.

But I will say this, I have tried to remain objective about Bevell but when CMike had those two good runs we had their DC and defense on their heels, then, we come back w/two identical runs into a line that wasn't giving up anything in the middle all day. That was bad enough but we tried to do it w/a rookie back who hadn't even been in the game. Not something I would expect to see from an NFL OC, especially one from one of the top teams in the league. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Winning or losing I have maintained for years now that I do not like Bevell as our OC. Could there be worse OC's? Of course. He's not the worst but that should never be considered a victory by itself. He has skated by on our talent, not his scheme prowess, not by a long shot. His stubbornness to change when it's obvious to do so is historically bad. Yet, when we have great games filled with offensive power and finesse we assume Bevell is one of the master minds. HOG WASH.

Let's get one thing straight. There are TWO and only TWO master minds to the Seahawks success.

PC and JS.

Those two are the reason we are perennial championship contenders. NOT some schlub OC named Bevell. Please.

I cannot impress upon you fine readers how much I look forward to the day Bevell is no longer our OC.

Fire Bevell.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Winning or losing I have maintained for years now that I do not like Bevell as our OC. Could there be worse OC's? Of course. He's not the worst but that should never be considered a victory by itself. He has skated by on our talent, not his scheme prowess, not by a long shot. His stubbornness to change when it's obvious to do so is historically bad. Yet, when we have great games filled with offensive power and finesse we assume Bevell is one of the master minds. HOG WASH.

Let's get one thing straight. There are TWO and only TWO master minds to the Seahawks success.

PC and JS.

Those two are the reason we are perennial championship contenders. NOT some schlub OC named Bevell. Please.

I cannot impress upon you fine readers how much I look forward to the day Bevell is no longer our OC.

Fire Bevell.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":vi4879k8 said:
Siouxhawk":vi4879k8 said:
hawksfansinceday1":vi4879k8 said:
I would have after he threw Lockette under the bus after that play.
He never did that.

Bevell stated "we could've been more aggressive to the ball." It was a passive-aggressive and indirect way of placing the outcome of the play on Lockette. PC fell on the sword, but had Bevell instead made some sort of self-accountable statement, he would've earned a measure of respect from the players. By taking no apparent blame at all, he endured a lot of scorn from the media, fans and likely, the team.
I think you're reading into that way more than most. The comment was the truth and everyone, including Lockette, knows that and admitted that ... it wasn't just Bevell. And I've read way more positive comments from the skill players on offense who work with Bevell on a day to day basis.

Mick063

Reaction score
I came to this conclusion when he expected Kearse to defeat a physical jam by Browner in the in the final moments of the Super Bowl. Lynch would have scored.

I have thought Bevel should go ever since.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If I were Carroll, as another poster said I would sit down and half a serious talk with the guy. Let him know that if things don't start changing they may need to look elsewhere. Firing coaches mid season is bad for continuity, and should be avoided if at all possible. That being said, if thing continue to go this way I think the Seahawks do need to look elsewhere. The Ravens did it during their last Superbowl run and it paid dividends immediately.

randomation

Reaction score
Unequivocally yes. We win in spite of him there is a reason Russ suddenly lights up any D in the league in the final 5 minutes. That's when the shackles are taken off and he is free to change anything and everything. If we had a competent OC Russ wouldn't be leading the league in game winning 4th qtr drives since coming in because we would be blowing people out. It's flipping absurd that after two massive gashing runs you don't go to play action and instead try to do the same thing with a much much slower back.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3916mgy0 said:

PC and JS.

Fire Bevell.

I dont totally disagree with you Aros but does it seem rather hypocritical to blame him for loses and give no credit for the victories? Bevell is no mastermind but he is not garbage. I would for one would not be upset if we moved on from him but he is not responsible for all our woes.

crosfam

Reaction score
Not after two games. If you fire somebody, the replacement has to immediately be better. Who will do it mid-season? one of the Carrol brothers? Tom Cable?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I wouldn't fire him outright, but I would hop on one of PA's yachts. Just me, PA & captain & ol' professor dipshit and head out to the middle of the ocean. Then it would play out similar to the "Flock of seagulls" scene from Pulp Fiction. Where Paul Allen is Vincent... I'm Jules, clearly. And DB is, well...

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Look at that, the percentage of people selecting the first options (~75%) closely matches the percentage of games Bevell performs poorly.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Spin Doctor":2h0amzs8 said:
If I were Carroll, as another poster said I would sit down and half a serious talk with the guy. Let him know that if things don't start changing they may need to look elsewhere. Firing coaches mid season is bad for continuity, and should be avoided if at all possible. That being said, if thing continue to go this way I think the Seahawks do need to look elsewhere. The Ravens did it during their last Superbowl run and it paid dividends immediately.

Wait.. As obvious by my 1st post in this thread, I was of the "stern talking to" mindset. But after thinking about it and reading your post, if THESE "TALKS" HAVEN'T BEEN HAD ALREADY, then got dammit that's a HUGE problem. And since I assume that they have had to have happened, just based on how BUSINESS works, and this goofy face dipshit STILL goes week to week, quarter to quarter and stubbornly ain't changed jack shit, then yeah,ol' buddy gotta bounce. It's reached the point where I can't even stand the sight of the mothereff mic'd up on our sideline.

Man, screw feeling this aggy this early in the morning. A ninja ain't even had breakfast yet. :evil:

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't fire him until we get Vannett, Prosise, Rawls and Ifedi back in the lineup for at least 4-6 games...if he cannot run plays with Vannett, Prosise and Ifedi back at RG, then all bets are off...

I know it's not fair to say, but almost every snap in Russell Wilson's career has been with this defense in place and Marshawn Lynch at the height of his career.....and when Lynch didn't play last year, we had Rawls in place running just as hard, if not harder than Lynch.

Right now, Bevell is like 8th on my list of concerns and unfortunately, the bulk of the NFL is poorly coached right now...There are rare exceptions, which we are clearly aware of, but most of the league doesn't have difference makers at coach...Carroll has made the most out of this roster, but if you want to point blame, it's wasting time and overstepping their value on certain draft picks that don't or didn't offer much.....that would be Paul Richardson, Kevin Norwood, Robert Turbin, Christine Micheal, Justin Britt and letting go of solid pieces like Patrick Lewis...I know Michael has value NOW, but after 3 to 4 years in the league, those higher picks on offense really missed out on adding something that can add value.

Prosise, Vannett and Ifedi are important pieces and all need a chance to perform to see what we have....none of the three have played more than a dozen snaps in two games, which is a problem most teams would have.....it impacts Russell Wilson's short passing game and impacts the ability to run the ball.

Bevell's criticism is his inability to find Graham's role in the offense.....but that's also on PC, not just Bevell.....

blue 22

Reaction score
When we lose next week more people will be on the fire bevell bandwagon.

Latest posts