#3 RW PECTORAL injury

scutterhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":fcyt008s said:
People in general are really overreacting to this last game.

Just for comparison, through 7 games last year, Wilson was sacked 31 times. Over the course of the season, that is a 70 sack season.

Through 6 games this year, Wilson has been sacked 11 times. That's 29 over the course of the season, or LESS than Wilson has ever been sacked in any season in his career.

Hits & sacks can have an accumulative effect, and just because Wilson has been doing much better at getting the ball out a lot faster, but that doesn't mean that he's not still being drilled into the turf nearly as much as he ever has been, and that's what is finally taking toll on his physical well being.

The lackluster attention that's being paid to our Offensive Line, is going to produce a Knock out punch to our Franchise Quarterback.

We love our # 1 DEFENSE...........Offensive Line??? meh....... not so much.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
12thbrah":vorcitw6 said:
Sgt. Largent":vorcitw6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":vorcitw6 said:
And factory of sadness or not -- the point is key here. Anyone thinking a great LT will prevent injuries needs to look at Cleveland's FIVE quarterbacks used this season. Joe Thomas is great but QB's get hurt even with quality LT play.

Good point, and probably why Pete and John aren't really entertaining giving up picks and precious cap space to get Thomas or Staley.

One lineman, no matter how good isn't going to fix the other 2-3 glaring deficiencies across the line. Although Staley's salary is very reasonable, so if you could get him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder I'd definitely pull the trigger on that one.

But I HIGHLY doubt the Niners would trade him to us without the deal being a ridiculous amount of picks.

We are playing for a Super Bowl and Cleveland is not so we can't afford to be throwing a rookie QB out there.

Even a hobbled Russ gives us a better shot of winning every week than Boykin.

If we had Dallas' O-line than I would say sure throw the rookie in but we don't.

Best bet would be to trade for a legit LT as mentioned before but even that doesn't guarantee we won't lose Russ at some point this year.
I wish Seattle's offensive line got away with just half of what Dallas' offensive line gets away with holding wise.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3curx3am said:
McGruff":3curx3am said:

Just for comparison, through 7 games last year, Wilson was sacked 31 times. Over the course of the season, that is a 70 sack season.

Through 6 games this year, Wilson has been sacked 11 times. That's 29 over the course of the season, or LESS than Wilson has ever been sacked in any season in his career.

Hits & sacks can have an accumulative effect, and just because Wilson has been doing much better at getting the ball out a lot faster, but that doesn't mean that he's not still being drilled into the turf nearly as much as he ever has been, and that's what is finally taking toll on his physical well being.

The lackluster attention that's being paid to our Offensive Line, is going to produce a Knock out punch to our Franchise Quarterback.

We love our # 1 DEFENSE...........Offensive Line??? meh....... not so much.
It's what the salary cap was designed to do.......like it or not, you can't pay everyone.

McGruff

Reaction score
RCATES":1qif12v1 said:
bandiger":1qif12v1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1qif12v1 said:
RCATES":1qif12v1 said:
I guess I could be like you and ignore whats happening right in front of your face each and every week. Take your Homer glasses off and take a look at the major drop off this offense has had this year. Having success in the NFL starts and ends up front. Our O-line is garbage. Our starters wouldn't even be 3rd stringers on other teams. We're in trouble offensively as is the health and future longevity of RW.

For four years Russell Wilson's indestructibility masked issues with Seahawks' offensive line. The mask is off now

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 33207.html

You're not stating anything most people don't already know, including the entire Hawk organization.

But this has ALWAYS been the trade off, and frankly Pete and John's plan from the very beginning. Build an insanely good, ALL TIME good defense that destroys teams...........and trust Russell to run around and make plays behind a deficient line and WR corp by pounding the rock.

Problem hasn't just been the line and Russell's injury. Right up there is not having a successful replacement for Marshawn. Not having Rawls healthy and producing has hurt us every bit as Russell's injury and O-line issues.

Well there is one spot you never go cheap on that is LT, simple as that. I go by the Parcell philosophy, the LT is not an interchangeable part. Say what ever else you want but getting rid of Okung is one of the biggest mistakes made in awhile. Protect the QBs blindside man.

Exactly what in the hell is PC and JS thinking. They decide to move Britt to Center since they have given zero to that position after trading away Unger. They draft Glowinski and throw him in at Guard. They draft Ifedi who was a Tackle in College and throw him in at guard. Just lol at our left and right tackles. Arguably the most important positions on the O-Line. Wake up people.

When working with an undersized, highly mobile QB like Wilson, it can be argued that the interior line exceeds the tackles in terms of relative importance. Add in the proliferation of highly athletic defensive tackles, and you are seeing an equalization of position importance across the line in the NFL. contracts and draft position are beginning to bear that out as well.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
12thbrah":2e2j51zd said:
Sgt. Largent":2e2j51zd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2e2j51zd said:
And factory of sadness or not -- the point is key here. Anyone thinking a great LT will prevent injuries needs to look at Cleveland's FIVE quarterbacks used this season. Joe Thomas is great but QB's get hurt even with quality LT play.

Good point, and probably why Pete and John aren't really entertaining giving up picks and precious cap space to get Thomas or Staley.

One lineman, no matter how good isn't going to fix the other 2-3 glaring deficiencies across the line. Although Staley's salary is very reasonable, so if you could get him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder I'd definitely pull the trigger on that one.

But I HIGHLY doubt the Niners would trade him to us without the deal being a ridiculous amount of picks.

We are playing for a Super Bowl and Cleveland is not so we can't afford to be throwing a rookie QB out there.

Even a hobbled Russ gives us a better shot of winning every week than Boykin.

If we had Dallas' O-line than I would say sure throw the rookie in but we don't.

Best bet would be to trade for a legit LT as mentioned before but even that doesn't guarantee we won't lose Russ at some point this year.

If we had Dallas' OL, Wilson wouldn't have played a down this season, recovering from his broken bone suffered in the preseason.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3cdrrvu2 said:
Oh good grief.

Are you serious????

Graham for a good LT would be worth it.[/quote]

No it wouldn't.

Graham is a huge X-factor for this team right now.

Swapping him for someone like Joe Staley would be insane.[/quote]
Really?......If Wilson can't get the needed protection (a much better O-Line) he can't throw the ball to Mr. "Huge X-Factor", and in fact, with this anemic Protection, with the number of hits to Wilson on the rise, the ball is less likely to find Mr. X, or anyone else in our Receiver corps.

It's not like we have a couple more Quarterbacks of Wilson's caliber waiting in the wings to take over if he's knocked out.

PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.

nash72

Reaction score
McGruff":2yhxmm9z said:
nash72":2yhxmm9z said:
So what your trying to say throughout that post is you dont feel Wilson would have sustained these injuries a couple years ago? Its football, injuries happen. Also, this is the worst Oline he has ever played behind, so there is that.
Last year's line was far worse.

Through 6 games last year, Russell Wilson was on a record pace for QB hits and sacks, and we weren't running the ball very well either. It was atrocious.

A lot of that has to do with the type of offense we were running also. It took over half the season for Bevell to take the dunce cap off and realize we had to open up the offense rather than trying to pound it down peoples throats like they used to with a healthy Lynch. Once it happened, Wilson was able to go off and Rawls had lanes open up due to the passing game. This season the line has practically gotten Wilson killed. With the lack of a running game and a hobbled Wilson, we are forced to get the ball out quickly, so I can easily see why the sack numbers are down. Lets take this into perspective, even with the missed games, Okung was far and away better than any lineman we have currently and galaxies better than Sowell, Britt had to be moved to center, and our rookie Ifedi (a starter mind you) has been hurt all season. This line is atrocious right now.

nash72

Reaction score
mrt144":k4ahhky8 said:
In 2013 Seattle started Paul McQuistan at LT for 8 games and earned the #1 seed in the NFC.

We ran the ball in 2013. We had a healthy RB that got yardage after contact. We dont have that luxury anymore.

canfan

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3q0nngff said:
Pacific brings up a good point about Russell's off-season conditioning routine and the amount of time he dedicates to the game.

We saw those stories all the time his first couple of years about how he's a relentless worker and the first to arrive, last to go in the film room, etc. Is that still happening, because I haven't heard about it as much as before? Now it's possible that he still is logging the same amount of hours, but since it's a story that's already been done and told, we're just not getting that 'old' news.

But Russ does have so many time commitments now than when he did his first few years. And now he's going to be a daddy, which with his family history, must have huge emotional significance for him. That is a lot to juggle.

I'm not quite sure I'm willing to blame his off season conditioning program for the present woes when the basis of this whole thing was Suh stepping on his ankle. The Oline is worse than it was a year ago on the outside and probably better guard to guard. The difference is Wilson is hobbled by a high ankle sprain that happened on a fluke play. That has made him slower and easier to catch. When 300 lb 6'5" people with bad intentions catch 200 lb 5'11" people, things tend to happen to the 200 lb guy. This is not a great mystery and bringing in new linemen who may have more talent, but not know the system or have any kind of chemistry with the rest of the line would just cause an even bigger wreck than what we are seeing right now.

Since we seem determined to go 3 and out most plays, just line up the slappies we have and run the ball with the occatsional play action pass or 3 step drop. At least we should keep RW clean that way - and who knows, if somebody can break the odd tackle there may even be an occasional touchdown. In the meantime, pretend its 2012, lean on the defense and pray the light goes on for the guys on the line and that Wilson heals up in time for the playoffs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1zs3kphn said:
They got the #1 seed in 2013 with Paul McQuistan playing eight games at LT.

Wilson also suffered a separated shoulder from a blindside hit in 2013. Paul McQuistan was the LT.

To me, it isn't just about winning games. It's about protecting your investment in a franchise QB.

Jville

Reaction score
Its a good thing Russell isn't a snowflake.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/791729912168058881[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/791726208325038080[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/791728160530272260[/tweet]

Russell Wilson has got grit! He leads by example.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":22jtoogq said:
Really?......If Wilson can't get the needed protection (a much better O-Line) he can't throw the ball to Mr. "Huge X-Factor", and in fact, with this anemic Protection, with the number of hits to Wilson on the rise, the ball is less likely to find Mr. X, or anyone else in our Receiver corps.

Jimmy Graham is on pace for a 1000 yard season (despite spending the first two weeks of the season easing himself back from a serious knee injury).

DavidSeven":22jtoogq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":22jtoogq said:
They got the #1 seed in 2013 with Paul McQuistan playing eight games at LT.

Wilson also suffered a separated shoulder from a blindside hit in 2013. Paul McQuistan was the LT.

To me, it isn't just about winning games. It's about protecting your investment in a franchise QB.

And so far he hasn't missed a single game. Brady and Manning both missed full seasons in their career (Brady has since recovered, won another SB and looks as strong as ever). Andrew Luck has missed considerable time. Big Ben has missed plenty of games. Joe Flacco has missed virtually a full season.

QB's get hurt. Seattle has done better than most so far, considering their offense is based around a scrambling QB.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seattle is going back to the SB and luckily none of the defensive fronts in the AFC worry me. Hang in there guys, it will get better.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Boykins up for 2-3 weeks.

try like hell to trade for one of the Joes: Staley is cheaper, Thomas is better, both are light years ahead of Sowell or Fant.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Since any QB can (and often do) get hurt badly enough to miss games or even seasons, maybe the extra 'investment' is better made in a good backup QB at $5M as opposed to in a marginal-upgrade at LT for $10M.

I hope and pray that rookie Boykin is getting in good reps, effective learning, mental maturity and rub-off professionalism while sitting (for now) in the emergency seat on that bench. To me, that's the biggest drop off of any position on the team from starter to next-man-up.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW sounded reasonably confident in his presser today, about playing on Sunday, although he did let loose that he's been telling/arguing-to the trainers (about his pec injury) that "there are still 4 days between now and start time."

He also says his right ankle is close to good, but used the word 'serious' to describe the left knee injury he sustained.

SeaChat

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3kl53ouz said:
pacific101":3kl53ouz said:
Its NFL football folks, you play, you get banged up. One observation I made early on this year was the fact that Russell wasn't taking any more abuse out there this season than he had in the past, in fact less because our Online was and continues to improve in their efforts to protect him.

A lot of folks are immediately assuming that Russell's increased vulnerability to injury, is the blame of the Oline, instead of what my suspicions have been all along, and what I still suspect might be the real culprit. No not Darell
Bevell's play calling, lol, that is where everyone who doesn't blame the Oline goes next, when I believe the blame falls squarely on Russell's shoulders.

You can BS yourself, and try to shift blame and accountability elsewhere, but at the end of the day the truth is the truth, and until you own that and do what you have to, to fix it, your just going to keep getting more of the same.

I know I can be a wordy SOG (son of a gun), so I'll try and simple this down so I make my point and minimize boring you to death in the process. I've mentioned in a few of my post that I spent a good many years of my life coaching boxers, and with some good success, also having boxed some myself over the years. One thing that a boxer or a boxing coach will tell you separates boxing from most other physically demanding sports, is that at the end of the day, when you win you get all the credit, when you loose you do too.

Over the years of training fighters I had kids, who had no more skill or even toughness than any other kid in the gym. The ones who excelled, were the ones who pushed themselves to physical extremes that the others would not. I would see a lot of fighters do just enough to convince the coaches and themse!lives that they were in good enough shape to fight and win.

The ones who started out with this mentality would generally win their first few bouts, but then as they started getting matched tougher, they would start getting injured and beat. The ones who pushed themselves and who allowed their coaches to push them to greater extremes, were the ones who went on to win the local, state, regional, and national competitions.

The ones that always frustrated me as a coach, were the ones who had made the sacrifices and pushed themselves to these extremes to achieve greatness, and then, start listening to others around them, convince them that there were softer and easier ways to get to and remain at that level, which was simply not true. If they drank that koolaid and followed along down that path, it was not to long before it started to evidence itself out.

One of my first clues was when a fighter, who previously had demonstrated this type of work ethic, and had achieved that level of physical and mental toughness that had allowed them to compete at high levels of competition without injury, or at very least no injury, that they did not recover from quickly, start getting injured, hopefully in the gym before it found its way into actual bouts, where an injury can lead to even greater vulnerabilities and more serious injury.

Now long story as short as I can make it. I am a huge Russell Wilson fan, and a major reasoning behind my admiration for him, is my belief that he was one of these types of "fighters" I just described, who pushed himself to physical and mental extremes to get to where he is today. I think somewhere along the line over the past year or so, some of those who have been involved in his sports medicine or coaching has convinced him of a softer and easier way to aquire that same level of physical and mental toughness that got him where he was, and in drinking that flavor of koolaid, he has made himself, once again, near mediocre and increasingly vulnerable to injury.

I fear that if Russell doesn't wake up and smell the coffee, quit kidding himself, go back and start doing those things that got him where he is and kept him there up and until this past year, that we are only going to see more of the same with him, eventually sustaining an injury that removes him from the field of play and finding himself being replaced with a young gun who hasn't lost sight of what got them there, and haven't been induced in to drinking the softer easier way brand of koolaid.

We have all heard him in press conferences this year talking about how he has implicit faith in his rehab handlers, who are doing a great job of patching up all of his injuries, but not really addressing the real problem which is why he is now suddenly vulnerable to all the I juries he historically been able to avoid.

I'm not saying he should ignore the sports medicine people helping him recover from his injuries. What I am suggesting, Russell, is that you quit BS'ing yourself, make the decision to go back and start making those same sacrifices you made all the years prior to getting here, and get yourself back on your game. Otherwise I suspect that in the not to distant future your going to be reading articles about yourself where the are referring to you as a one time bright falling star. I truly hope not, for your sake and the sake of the Seattle Seahawks.

No time for editing this morning, hopefully spellcheck covered most of my errors, and you were able to make sense of what I'm trying to relay here. Sorry about being so wordy, its just who I am, never been able to keep it short and sweet on paper.

There's one aspect of your Boxing to Football analogy that doesn't correlate..... as a fighter in the ring, you yourself are responsible for keeping your guard up and not doing so means that you are going to sustain a LOT of unnecessary punishment, whereas, being a Quarterback, your Offensive Line IS your "Guard Up", in fact, they are designated as...Right Guard, and Left Guard.
It would be like tying your non-punching hand behind your back, and no amount of conditioning will get your body to withstand an non-defensed beating.

Its a good analogy, but the point I was making is that an athlete, like Russell for instance, who is admittedly smaller than most NFL quarterbacks who have achieved real greatness, and based on the exceptional work ethic that Russell and those around him touted to the public upon his entry into the NFL felt that he was able to compete at on a level equal to or exceeding many of his peers playing that same position in the NFL.

I believe that it was his phenomenal mental and physical obsession and conditioning practices that allowed him to ahieve greatness as a rookie and that allowed him to play pretty much injury free the first couple of years.

Then came the big money, there was a clear change in him, he started popping up in high dollar suites after the games to do press conferences.

He went through some pretty serious relationship ups and downs, the past few years. He had a much bigger demand put on himself by the media, and I feel that somewhere in all of that he decided he could devote just enough of his time to conditioning so that he could play the game of football, hoping his talent would carry the day, but slacked off increasingly, from that same levels of conditioning that got him to the top.

Maybe he started believing all the hype, that he was God gifted with all kinds of super natural talent, and started thinking that would be enough to carry the day, and I'm concerned that its proving not to be true.

If Russell is doing what a lot of mediocre players do for practice and conditioning, then he himself has become mediocre in his conditioning and has left him vulnerable to these increasing injuries, that he used to be able to get up and walk away from, but that are now starting to cripple him us and making it increasingly difficult on himself to be the player he knows and we believe that he can be and has been. .

If Russell wants to realize his dreams of being a star NFL Quarterback with records and rings like those worn by Elway, Manning etc.. he better wake up, smell the coffee quick,.

He needs to get his butt back in the kind of shape he was in before all the fame and fortune came his way. He can say it didn't change him all day long, we all saw a notable change in him after he signed on the dotted line, and it's expected to a point, but I wonder if he didn't loose some of his incentive to be that great QB he dreamed of being all through highschool and college.

if that is the case, take the big money he was paid to become this five star quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, and ride off in to the sunset, unaccomplished, and let the next gunslinger grab the ball and pick up where he left off,. Boykin could very well be our man. I see a lot of the young Russell Wilson in him, and he could learn a lot from Russell if he doesn't make some changes fast. My guess in all of this anyways.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
There is no real evidence to suggest that RW has let off in his traditionally-rigorous conditioning. We saw how those injuries happened, in each one anyone would have gotten hurt in that situation, it's not the 'physicality' it's the simple physics of it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":il9z6w6z said:
If we had Dallas' OL, Wilson wouldn't have played a down this season, recovering from his broken bone suffered in the preseason.

If serious, this is one of the dumbest things I've read on here.

Latest posts