10.5 point favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogorama

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2vlg1i4h said:
dogorama":2vlg1i4h said:
johnnyfever":2vlg1i4h said:
I don't think vegas is baiting anyone. They deal in numbers and probabilities, not emotions.

You're missing the point, it's the perception of disrespect. It is subjective, not objective.

No, you are assuming your view of this being disrespect is everyone's. My point was made just fine. I think they cover this easily, and I guarantee you there are a lot of Miami fans that do as well. My point is this spread is mathematical, and those who don't do the math see it as disrespectful. Some people believe we didn't go to the moon, but their belief doesn't make them right. Your emotions and belief that Miami is being disrespected is not at all scientific, a Vegas spread is. You can argue the parameters and statistics used should be different, but emotions play no role.

We will find out Sunday if a 10.5 is correct. Bookies aren't in the business of losing. They hope there are people out there get emotional and see this line as "disrespectful". Take Miami, see how it works out for you.

I'M sorry, but you have COMPLETELY missed my point. In fact, you are trying to make a literal translation completely out of context. The actual point spread, or whether or not it is correct, has absolutely nothing to do with my point. The point was that the spread was the largest differential in week 1 which can lead to the player's reaction that there is a general perception that there is an overall outside belief that they are REALLY bad. My point was that can sometimes motivate a team who feel they are disrespected and on the flip side create complacency in a team that believes their own press clippings.

Coaches always try to encourage their players to avoid the hype. A case in point is my Huskies who have been rated as high as #7 this year and Coach Peterson stresses to his players to not to get caught up in that, but players, both amateur and professional, sometimes do.

You also make the point that a point spread is purely scientific based on metrics. That is not true, Vegas oddsmakers are every bit football analysts and much of their odds making is based upon subjective projections based upon historical and current events. Perception and prevailing thought also play a role in their decision because that can be a big component of where the initial betting trends will begin.

Lastly, that doesn't mean any of this will actually happen but to say that professional football players are completely above letting emotional components of their environment affect them is simply not true. So, get w/the program, this isn't rocket science, LOL.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I don't care about your point. I was posting in a thread about a 10.5 spread. You can have whatever opinion you like.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seahawks cover imo. Trusting Bevell and company to come out firing. I hope.

Largent80

Reaction score
dogorama":12t3fa0q said:
johnnyfever":12t3fa0q said:
I don't think vegas is baiting anyone. They deal in numbers and probabilities, not emotions.

You're missing the point, it's the perception of disrespect. It is subjective, not objective.

No he isn't missing the point. You are enamored with the old fashioned " bulletin board " cliche. That was OK in school but doesn't apply to pro sports many athletes don't read journalism,and find this argument to be silly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Somebody":35elbis7 said:
I'm sorry, but you have COMPLETELY missed my point. In fact, you are trying to make a literal translation completely out of...

Another thread sunk.

dogorama

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jes1ez7 said:
Somebody":1jes1ez7 said:
I'm sorry, but you have COMPLETELY missed my point. In fact, you are trying to make a literal translation completely out of...

Another thread sunk.

Really? What was the OP? "Biggest spread of wk 1". I made a simple comment about that and people ran w/it. That makes it a thread killer? You can choose to go whichever way you want and some people stuck to whether that was the correct spread or not. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":647l6dxv said:
dogorama":647l6dxv said:
johnnyfever":647l6dxv said:

No he isn't missing the point. You are enamored with the old fashioned " bulletin board " cliche. That was OK in school but doesn't apply to pro sports many athletes don't read journalism,and find this argument to be silly.

How do you know what athletes read?

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":2eop2ycy said:
"A load of hooey" I believe was the phrase used earlier.

That was in reference to your statement that pro athletes are only motivated by money. You have to love this game to be that good and yes, at the risk of stating the obvious, pride and respect plays a big part in that.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is a game. A game that rewards players that play well. What other motivation is required?

A point spread? Sorry it's just not.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
dogorama":3s77lqes said:
Largent80":3s77lqes said:

That was in reference to your statement that pro athletes are only motivated by money. You have to love this game to be that good and yes, at the risk of stating the obvious, pride and respect plays a big part in that.

Have you competed in sports at a fairly high level? Motivation is situational. Down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter is motivation. A spread before the start of a game in my opinion doesn't translate once the ball is kicked. Each player has a job to do. Talent, preparation, guidance and luck are the factors that make a difference. Being able to play with a clear head and make good decisions under the release of adrenaline separates great players from good ones. A betting line is not on the mind of a true competitor, it is a distraction and irrelevant to athletes at this level when actually playing the game.

The whole idea that Russ is going to make better throws while being chased around in the backfield because of a betting line is ignorant.

dogorama

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1lmv35b9 said:
dogorama":1lmv35b9 said:
Largent80":1lmv35b9 said:

Have you competed in sports at a fairly high level? Motivation is situational. Down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter is motivation. A spread before the start of a game in my opinion doesn't translate once the ball is kicked. Each player has a job to do. Talent, preparation, guidance and luck are the factors that make a difference. Being able to play with a clear head and make good decisions under the release of adrenaline separates great players from good ones. A betting line is not on the mind of a true competitor, it is a distraction and irrelevant to athletes at this level when actually playing the game.

The whole idea that Russ is going to make better throws while being chased around in the backfield because of a betting line is ignorant.

I don't like to get into personal info on a message board but yes, I played organized football for 14 straight years including four years of college ball. You can try and lecture me all you want to but I have personal experience w/this and nothing you can say can change that.

Like I said you are completely missing the point and are trying to ascribe things to me that I never intended.

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":1uy7om6z said:
Done with this thread and I'm sure John appreciates it turning into this.

If this thread turned into something bad then you are as responsible for that as anyone. Take some personal responsibility and quit trying to turn a simple discussion into something personal. It is not.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Fair enough. Just so you know, my original post had zero to do with you. I didn't even read the thread, and have no idea who you are or what you posted. You replied to my post as though I was attacking you. I was just stating why I thought it was an accurate spread.

dogorama

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1n0tcyfx said:
Fair enough. Just so you know, my original post had zero to do with you. I didn't even read the thread, and have no idea who you are or what you posted. You replied to my post as though I was attacking you. I was just stating why I thought it was an accurate spread.

Okay, my bad then but the way you worded it w/the bait reference made it sound like you were tying into the discussion that was transpiring. No hard feelings, it's really easy to misinterpret intentions on a text only discourse. Maybe I need to start using those smiley things, LOL.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Just to be clear on how lines are set these days, emotion plays no role. Analytics and probability algorithms set the line. Emotion of the wagering public is what moves it. The old days of guys sitting in smokey rooms setting lines is long gone. That room is now filled with servers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Since this has went so far south off topic we are closing it, thank you to those that took a personal aspect on this and needed to prove a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.