10.5 point favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't know that a pro team needs any more incentive than to go out and win the individual battles and ultimately the game.

A point spread is for bettors, not players.

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":32vnq94t said:
I don't know that a pro team needs any more incentive than to go out and win the individual battles and ultimately the game.

Nobody wants to be disrespected and having the biggest point spread of the week can be construed to be disrespect.

I stand by my statement.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Miami has neither offense nor defense. I doubt they can stay within 20 TBH

two dog

Reaction score
I don't like having a 10.5 point spread against ANYBODY.
Let alone on the first game of the year.

The Seahawks seem to play better when they can play the disrespect card.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rlctzlpb said:
If I know anything, Pete has been itching since the final moment of last year's playoff loss to get back to the power-run offense that leaves us down by two touchdowns at halftime. He'll stubbornly stay there, again, until it looks like he's about to lose the game/season, then sigh and switch back to it.

I do expect a win for us, but by less than a touchdown.

That's how I feel too. If Seattle came out and spread things out offensively from the first snap and got the ball out, while playing press bail coverage, they'd obliterate Miami.

But instead, they will go double TE sets and run the ball. Well. But still shoot themselves in the foot enough to trail at halftime, thanks to Richard's soft zones.

I still think they will win, but I'm nervous that it will be way more frustrating and way more suspenseful than it should be.

dogorama

Reaction score
kearly":2cmotl08 said:
MontanaHawk05":2cmotl08 said:
If I know anything, Pete has been itching since the final moment of last year's playoff loss to get back to the power-run offense that leaves us down by two touchdowns at halftime. He'll stubbornly stay there, again, until it looks like he's about to lose the game/season, then sigh and switch back to it.

That's how I feel too. If Seattle came out and spread things out offensively from the first snap and got the ball out, while playing press bail coverage, they'd obliterate Miami.

But instead, they will go double TE sets and run the ball. Well. But still shoot themselves in the foot enough to trail at halftime, thanks to Richard's soft zones.

I still think they will win, but I'm nervous that it will be way more frustrating and way more suspenseful than it should be.

I'm totally w/you on that kearly, and I am sick and tired of hearing that tired refrain that "well Pete and John have done a pretty good job w/that so far," blah-blah-blah. The fact is, we regressed severely last year and if it wasn't for a cupcake second half schedule it would have been an absolute disaster. We need to get back to being aggressive on both sides of the ball.

kf3339

Reaction score
dogorama":7wp4zm2k said:
kearly":7wp4zm2k said:
MontanaHawk05":7wp4zm2k said:

I'm totally w/you on that kearly, and I am sick and tired of hearing that tired refrain that "well Pete and John have done a pretty good job w/that so far," blah-blah-blah. The fact is, we regressed severely last year and if it wasn't for a cupcake second half schedule it would have been an absolute disaster. We need to get to being aggressive on both sides of the ball.

:ditto:

But then again Pete is really stubborn, soooooooooooooooo doubtful.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
WOW.. We are not THAT good this season. If I were betting, I would totally bet against that spread..

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":25vl02nw said:
WOW.. We are not THAT good this season. If I were betting, I would totally bet against that spread..

Of course they are that good.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem we have is we start slow, we also hold stuff back as not to tip our hand on how ere going to use players or do things early in the season, it's like using only half the playbook till week eight for some reason, that's on offense and defense. Things open up the second half and we start getting aggressive and looser. Not sure why they do this if you believe in your players and coaches, if a team adjusts to something you should be able to counter it.

Largent80

Reaction score
dogorama":8yje9qa1 said:
Largent80":8yje9qa1 said:

Nobody wants to be disrespected and having the biggest point spread of the week can be construed to be disrespect.

I stand by my statement.

OK. Professional athletes don't care but you can all you want. They have money to motivate them, not point spreads.

dogorama

Reaction score
Largent80":8i99bcob said:
dogorama":8i99bcob said:
Largent80":8i99bcob said:

I stand by my statement.

OK. Professional athletes don't care but you can all you want. They have money to motivate them, not point spreads.

That's a load of hooey, professional or not these are 25-year-old kids who run on high octane testosterone and supreme amounts of pride. You don't get to that level w/o that. It's a time honored tradition that coaches and players put stuff on the bulletin board that sarcastic writers or especially other players who "guarantee" a win write. Nothing irritates a coach more than having one of his players run his mouth and provide bulletin board fodder. Football is an emotional game and teams that can tie into that emotion can often transcend their own limitations. The 2013 Seahawks were a perfect example of that.

You really think that ends the day you leave college and become "professionals?" Check Richard Sherman's emotional outburst after blocking the pass to Crabtree in the '13 NFCCG. That was all a result of Crabtree running his mouth in the press.

Here, look for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yi8XZRdCk

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Miami is traveling across the country to play us in our house. Their secondary is really truly awful and their linebackers are not good either. Only good thing about their defense is the defensive line and I don't feel its on par with the Rams.
They don't run the ball well and Tannehill will be facing a top notch secondary ( we are far and away better than we were last year starting out).
I don't get why anyone would be a nervous about this game. I expect our offense to do well in all facets really and their offense does not scare me. I expect a blow out but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to be flipping my lid about it either.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
If Seattle cannot handle Ryan Tannehill at home, forget any mention of a Lombardi trophy anytime soon.....this game has 34-13 written all over it....Tannehill and Adam Gase are not going to execute for 4 quarters, without a running game and a mistake prone QB that is good for at least 2 INT's per game.

Sit Jimmy Graham out and spread the worse secondary in the NFL out and go to town.

12thman.garydrake

Reaction score
We have problems with shifty wr's and J.Landry is about as shifty as it gets. Also they have A.Foster as there starter now and he's no slouch when healthy which he is. should be a very interesting game. Go Hawks!!!12

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Early spread a month or two ago on some site was about 8 points, which I thought was about right. Kind of surprised when Vegas came out with the 10.5 late last week. Confident Seattle wins, but not sure about covering the 10.5 By the way, Dolphins asked NFL to load up road games at beginning of the season to put finishing touches on their new stadium (newly named Hard Rock Stadium). GO HAWKS.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We win by 13, maybe more. PC didn't get to where he is by being stupid. We lost the first half of last season playing the way the hawks always had done it, but the Line we had wouldn't allow that anymore. The tail end of the season forced us into short passing routes as the OL could not pass protect or run block, so quick outs were the only option. We found success doing that because it forced defenses to defend against quick outs, which spread them out and meant less pressure was brought at the LOS.

This year we (maybe, probably) have a better OL so I think we will see a hybrid of the 2. Not just a straight power run defense team or a passing juggernaut. I realize all teams want to run and pass well, so it is not like this is a new thing, just that it is for us. Having this ability greatly increases out chances for wins as we now have versatility to favor one or the other depending on our opponent, as well as being able to adjust to opponent schemes better. By game 7 we should have this hybrid system down. Some games will be very run heavy, others pass heavy. We will have a few bad games here and there, but against miami at home I don't feel like this will be one of them.

Jimmy and Thomas are back as well. Jimmy's injury has a history of killing players though, so let's hope he is an anomaly.

I don't think vegas is baiting anyone. They deal in numbers and probabilities, not emotions.

I will be very interested though with seeing the play calls in the first quarter. That will show if Pete is stubborn or willing to alter his modus operandi.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
dogorama":9z5utt39 said:
johnnyfever":9z5utt39 said:
I don't think vegas is baiting anyone. They deal in numbers and probabilities, not emotions.

You're missing the point, it's the perception of disrespect. It is subjective, not objective.

No, you are assuming your view of this being disrespect is everyone's. My point was made just fine. I think they cover this easily, and I guarantee you there are a lot of Miami fans that do as well. My point is this spread is mathematical, and those who don't do the math see it as disrespectful. Some people believe we didn't go to the moon, but their belief doesn't make them right. Your emotions and belief that Miami is being disrespected is not at all scientific, a Vegas spread is. You can argue the parameters and statistics used should be different, but emotions play no role.

We will find out Sunday if a 10.5 is correct. Bookies aren't in the business of losing. They hope there are people out there get emotional and see this line as "disrespectful". Take Miami, see how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.