Witherspoon Hasn’t signed yet.

toffee

Reaction score
He'll almost certainly get all of his signing bonus in the first year, and the first payment will very likely be 75% or more of it.

And even if the difference were larger, who are you to say how much money he's ready to handle?
Using your logic, who are you to say I don't know how much money he's ready to handle :)

pmedic920

Reaction score
He'll almost certainly get all of his signing bonus in the first year, and the first payment will very likely be 75% or more of it.

And even if the difference were larger, who are you to say how much money he's ready to handle?
He’s nobody to say, nobody is really but…..

We all are painfully aware of how putting a ton of cash in the pockets of a person unaccustomed and ill prepared can end.

This stuff is like hitting the lottery for some of these kids, some handle it well, some don’t.

How many ex NFL players and lottery winners end up flat broke and broken.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score

And even if the difference were larger, who are you to say how much money he's ready to handle

In another defense, i agree, he would be all over the field. In Seattle... Pete plays it pretty strightup and CBs dont leave their posts. So i dont see them making an exception for Spoon.
Last year, Bryant was on the field 66% of all defensive snaps. The only game he was pulled was week 1. So that 70% or so for a slot corner is about right.
A no5 investment in the top CB in college - thats not traditional 'prove your chops' territory. Hes about as explosive and on tape, proven, as Sauce Gardener as last year. He was selected 4th and started impressively day 1. He also received 75% of his bonus, day 1 of signing.
Your overvaluing his college performance. His speed at his pro day if can be trusted wasn't elite he looks like a 4.5 guy to me he has short arms and 180 pounds under 6ft. He's no Sauce or Woolen at all. We have to trust that his instincts are elite and that it's enough to carry him.

toffee

Reaction score
Your overvaluing his college performance. His speed at his pro day if can be trusted wasn't elite he looks like a 4.5 guy to me he has short arms and 180 pounds under 6ft. He's no Sauce or Woolen at all. We have to trust that his instincts are elite and that it's enough to carry him.
His instinct for contracts and how to endear himself to 12s and team management has been elite, so far.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Please take a moment to understand what the issue actually is here. It's not what you evidently think it is. The amount of compensation is not the issue. The cash flow in later years of the contract will be lower than in the first year, and that's not negotiable. Neither is the amount of the contract, nor how much of it is signing bonus. Those things are all already decided.

Witherspoon will be given a four-year contract worth a fully guaranteed $31.86M of total compensation, $21.17M of which is the signing bonus.

The only issue is a cash-flow issue. Witherspoon wants to receive 100% of his signing bonus immediately, like the three quarterbacks drafted ahead of him (as the first, second, and fourth players in the draft) did. The team wants to defer payment of part of the signing bonus until later. The Texans paid the other player drafted ahead of Witherspoon, Will Anderson (third pick overall in the draft), 85% of his signing bonus initially, with payment of the remaining 15% scheduled for later.

So first of all, once the contract is signed, the Seahawks will have taken on a legal obligation to pay Witherspoon 100% of his signing bonus, and in fact, 100% of the whole $31.86M of total compensation for the contract, over the four years of the contract. Neither side, nor even both sides together, can change the amount Witherspoon will get from this contract, nor how much of it will be a signing bonus. The only issue is how many actual bank transfers will be made to pay the $21.17M signing bonus. Witherspoon wants more of the bonus paid immediately than the Seahawks want to pay immediately.

Second, there is no chance for "another holdout" later. Right now, he has no contract. In the third or fourth year of his contract, he'll be under contract and therefore unable to hold out.

Dude I understand but I'm just saying if he gets 100% of his Signing Bonus, then his remianing contract years 2nd 3rd, 4th won't be as much if he had taken the 85%

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
He’s nobody to say, nobody is really but…..

We all are painfully aware of how putting a ton of cash in the pockets of a person unaccustomed and ill prepared can end.

This stuff is like hitting the lottery for some of these kids, some handle it well, some don’t.

How many ex NFL players and lottery winners end up flat broke and broken.
It's their hard earned millions to blow on hookers and blow if they want. Your comment reminded me of the classic Goodfellas scene after the Lufthansa heist! 🤣

rcaido

Reaction score
In that scenario do we get a comp pick at equal value?

Maybe a silly question but I’m clueless/ignorant to those rules.
Sadly we get nothing, we lose. Good day sir.

I think it only happened once and that was with Bo Jackson. Tampa drafted him with the first pick but refuse to sign with them as he believe they screwed him over his senior college baseball eligibility. So instead he decided to play mlb baseball instead with the Royals. The following season the Raiders pick Bo Jackson in the 7th round. Bo said the only reason he sign w the Raiders was because Al Davis gave him a huge bonus and also allowed him to finish his baseball season.

I don't think Witherspoon knows anything else...So I doubt it will come to that. He will lose a lot of money and draft value w lots of red flags.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
On topic, I read something recently on one of the sports websites (forgot which one), written by an agent about the potential sticking points for rookie contracts. The CBA has resolved most of the issues. The one we know about is the signing bonus, and how that is dispensed. The other is offset language in the contract.

What is an offset? Well, remember when Kaz was with us, got released during the season in a roster juggle (the Seahawks intended to bring him back), and then he signed with the Rams? He got paid by both the Seahawks and the Rams when he did that, also known as double dipping. An offset clause in a contract says that if another team picks up a player after being released, the money in the new contract will offset some or all of the money in the old contract, meaning the releasing team is no longer on the hook for that contract. Obviously, that's good for the releasing team, and not as good for the player. So players with the ability to do so will try to exclude any offset language from the contract.

I have no idea if this is part of Spoon's thing right now, but it could be.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's their hard earned millions to blow on hookers and blow if they want. Your comment reminded me of the classic Goodfellas scene after the Lufthansa heist! 🤣
You’re absolutely right, it’s their money and they are free to spend it however they see fit, just like you and are a welcome to spend ours.

Does not mean that we aren’t free to discuss our opinions about it in a speculative conversation, now does it.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
You’re absolutely right, it’s their money and they are free to spend it however they see fit, just like you and are a welcome to spend ours.

Does not mean that we aren’t free to discuss our opinions about it in a speculative conversation, now does it.
it most certainly doesn't. Furthermore, where the **** did I say that?

keasley45

Reaction score

I think you are undervaluing his ability at the position due to his individual stats.

His numbers sound a lot like DJ Reed's who we let go to the Jets and turned into one of the top corners in the league, #5 overall, which is impressive guven he lines up across from Gardner. He's short, not huge, 4.5 speed and when he was with us, was often the best player on the field.

Witherspoon has 'it'. His contract hold out doesnt change the fact.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
The last NFL draft pick left unsigned. Does seem like there is something going on that we'll never know about.
Whenever a contract "mystery" is involved...its usually the "business" end where most fans lack insight of that end of the NFL. John normally drives a hard bargain...protecting the financial interests of our team.

If a player has agent (s) involved...then its more likely our GM "working" with Spoons representatives...no need to "take jabs" at the players "input" unless he's representing himself.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
I think you are undervaluing his ability at the position due to his individual stats.

His numbers sound a lot like DJ Reed's who we let go to the Jets and turned into one of the top corners in the league, #5 overall, which is impressive guven he lines up across from Gardner. He's short, not huge, 4.5 speed and when he was with us, was often the best player on the field.

Witherspoon has 'it'. His contract hold out doesnt change the fact.
Nice response. Measurables (size and speed) often "pale" to what scouts see "in game" or while studying film/tape. His film and playing tape screamed about his ability to having skills that should translate to NFL ability to be "coached up" to be his best.

Many fans think "combine" results are easier to trust...it is a "valuable" tool since the NFL level usually demands elite athleticism to excel against the best...but tape identifies football IQ and the ability to make full use of a players abilities.

Latest posts