With all these picks and if Geno resigns…

GemCity

Reaction score
I know there are other posts about this but, as the season progresses and Geno solidifies (i.e, he still ain’t writing back) his position, we see Walker emerge as a pure gem, our rookie CBS are simply incredible, and we don’t even have to mention our tackles and guys like Mafe….what do we do in the next draft?

I’m thinking this…feel free to put it in order or add to:
DT, Edge, LB ,
OG, Center….first five picks. Snatch a diamond in the rough QB somewhere. Or
Wait for 2024

olyfan63

Reaction score
IMO biggest need is another edge who can get home. Nwosu has been ballin out and has been absolutely fantastic. Honestly, choose any position and it could *use* an upgrade. I'd like to get back to the badass D we had in Russ's rookie contract years. So yeah, DT too. Better pass rush from the inside would revolutionize our D. So I'd like Pete & John to grab some special talents to plug into our front 7. 2nd coming of Bobby, KJ, Cliff, Bennett would be great. Also a Kuechly type LB, Cornelius Bennett's much younger best-of-the clan brother. Am I asking for too much here? Anything that relegates Barton to special teams plus injury backup would be great.

Plus I'd love to have a healthy Penny back for a couple more years. Penny + Walker was a 2-headed monster while it lasted. I was shocked at all the people who criticized the Walker III selection when he was the best back in the country with skills and character that are a perfect fit for the Hawks. I'd never complain about adding another Walker-Penny type of talent.

I recall we still have a 5th round DT (IIRC) who is on IR and could be good rotational depth.

Mick063

Reaction score
It seems to me that Irvin and Nwosu have been inserted at the expense of Taylor for their multi-dimensional attributes (Irvin can hold up against the run). Irvin is a stop gap, and Taylor may be in the doghouse.

You can't have enough edge. The undefeated Eagles recently rented Robert Quinn for that very reason. Getting pressure with four guys is HUGE with the modern rule set.

Thumper linebackers are not typically a first day pick. Even Bobby Wagner was not a first day pick.

I think they just about have to go edge with the first day pick. After day one, I would like to see ILB as an immediate starter (which means draft two to increases the odds of success), interior OL depth, DT depth, a big box safety to develop.

Depending on how they perceive Lock and Geno for the mid to long term, the whole QB thing is one big mystery. You have to consider salary, age, consistency, attitude, expectations. Lots of variables involved. I would personally love to see Geno continue this for 3 more years though.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I was shocked at all the people who criticized the Walker III selection when he was the best back in the country with skills and character that are a perfect fit for the Hawks. .
Most of the critics said it was not a position of need, we has Penny and Carson. When they made the pick I realised the front office knew it was very unlikely Carson was going to play again.

Scout

Reaction score
With the draft capital the Hawks have you can draft nearly every major position on this roster to fortify.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't resign and re-signs instead. 😉

Prodding aside, I would say first round we need to be looking at Edge help. Day two we can look at LB, then fill needs at center, guard, defensive tackle. Then best player.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
Still need WR depth on day two or three as well unless Melton or Dareke Young pan out. Eskridge is still up in the air and Goodwin is a free agent after this year.

Agreed on MLB and Pass Rush on day one. Another Strong Safety would be nice too as I'm not sure on Josh Jones (thank god Neal is playing well). We get Tyreke Smith back next year too which hopefully is a Irvin replacement.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I desperately want a game-wrecking DT like Fletcher Cox or Chris Jones, (I'd even take a DaRon Payene, or Quinnen Williams).

Bill Walsh always said that a long, elite 3-Tech was one of the most important things on a DLine because they squeezed down a QB's most important part of the pocket, the middle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
D Line needs to be top priority, especially since it looks like they'll go with Geno for a few years. DT, DE and Guard.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a really good write up on 3-Techs by Kip Earlywine in 2013. He references Bill Walsh and Pete Carroll's

I can’t say for sure if Pete and Bill would see eye to eye on defensive tackles, although reading Walsh’s breakdown of the position, it sounded exactly like the kind of player the Seahawks need: I’ve often thought that Carroll was the 21st century equivalent of Walsh: brilliant, unique, creative, and easy to learn from.

His boyish exuberance stems not from some mystical fountain of youth, but a mind that never tires of new ideas and new challenges. Walsh was stern if not prickly, but his passion for the game burned just the same.

Both have proven masters at building dynastic rosters on the fly from spare parts and savvy drafting. If you know where to look, you can see Walsh’s fingerprints in many of the things that Pete has done.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think we need a DT more than an edge. Robinson will be back. Mafe will be a year wiser. Taylor will have had time to learn the new position.

Al Woods will be 36 though. That's not going to get any better in the offseason.

DT, EDGE, MLB, C would be my prioritized list.

Blythe knows the offense and was a necessary evil this year, but we could use a little more length and sand there.

keasley45

Reaction score
Interior D Line and LB. After that, a Safety.

On Offense - Center, Guard and RB - Penny is great, but snake bitten at this point. If Walker goes down, we have Dallas and Homer... that's not good enough.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score

If this were to happen, then buckle up guys. John will turn this pick into a decent 1st this year and a first rounder next year, possibly more and I'm okay with that considering the holes we have to fill.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that the broncos give us a top 5 pick. There are a few positions that almost require picks that high for elite talent. QB , LT, DT, DE. We have not been in a position to draft elite talent at these positions due to record (its a good thing). It was really amazing to pull Cross last year outside the top 5. Deep class for elite LT, and the board fell perfect.

Yes it's true you can get quality players lower in the draft but those positions are early picks and go like clockwork. If you don't see those positions go extremely high, It's a week draft class. Ala last years qb class.

We will likely not be in a position to draft this high again for a very long time. So it depends how PC and JS see the roster. Obviously we are good at LT. Do we pass on QB? I'm 50/50.

Is there elite talent at DT? That's probably my first choice. Pressure up the middle without blitzing is game changing.

DE would also work and be worth this high of a pick.

Other than those positions I vote for trading down. Center/guards if elite tend to go 15 down. (Rare talents by pick 10)

We can use top tier talent at G, C, even SS if we trade down.

Later on in the second I could see LB.

Last edited: