Will Hargrave make 49ers better?

bileever

Reaction score
I especially want to hear from @94Smith and @Weadoption on this issue. Do you 49ers fans really feel good about the Hargrave signing?

I've been reading and hearing experts praise the 49ers for signing Hargrave, and how he makes their defense "dominant" and "spectacular." What am I missing? Hargrave's a good player, but he's not Aaron Donald. Adding Hargrave and losing Ebukam and Omenihu doesn't seem like a big improvement. The 49ers line was great anyway.

Reminds me a little of the Seahawks' acquisition of Sheldon Richardson in 2017. We already had a great line, with Avril, Bennett, Clark and Reed. Schneider thought getting Richardson would make our defense historically great, but we actually went from being #5 in 2016 to #11 in 2017. (Losing Avril to injury didn't help.) It was a miscalculation in other ways as well, as we traded for him without an extension and Richardson left in free agency after the year. So we gave up a 2nd round and Kearse for a one-year rental. (And then Schneider did the same thing with Clowney later.)

So 49er fans, honest opinion: do you like the signing or hate it? I know I may end up eating my words, but it doesn't seem that great to me.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I know little about Hargrave, but a lot of .net fans sure seemed disappointed when we failed to snag him. Would he have been able to contribute more meaningfully for Seahawks?

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I like the signing.

I don't believe the situation is similar to the Seahawks. The 49ers' only name players are Bosa and Armstead, the others are journeymen. They need another impact player on the defensive line.

The guys you mentioned, Ebukam and Omenihu, where not highly regarded when the 49ers signed them and now they're getting nice contracts elsewhere. 49ers are hoping Austin Byrant and Clellin Ferrell will be motivated to benefit from the renowned Kris Kocurek's coaching.

The secondary and offensive line have both taken hits so there should be some drop off there. Would have liked to have kept Mosely. Ward and McGlinchey priced themselves off the 49ers roster. Hopefully they'll get 90% of the performance for 50% of the price from their various replacements.

And, the press loves those big ticket signings.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I would rather have had the Niners sign a decent right tackle and another corner as far as what they could have signed for the same overall money.
It doesn’t matter anyway if they don’t get their QB position figured out and healthy.
And if Bosa disappears in the playoffs again, will Hargrave really matter one way or another?
Hargrave is a good player though, i just think they have other needs more pressing.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
I like the signing.

I don't believe the situation is similar to the Seahawks. The 49ers' only name players are Bosa and Armstead, the others are journeymen. They need another impact player on the defensive line.

The guys you mentioned, Ebukam and Omenihu, where not highly regarded when the 49ers signed them and now they're getting nice contracts elsewhere. 49ers are hoping Austin Byrant and Clellin Ferrell will be motivated to benefit from the renowned Kris Kocurek's coaching.

The secondary and offensive line have both taken hits so there should be some drop off there. Would have liked to have kept Mosely. Ward and McGlinchey priced themselves off the 49ers roster. Hopefully they'll get 90% of the performance for 50% of the price from their various replacements.

And, the press loves those big ticket signings.
@49fansinceBrodie Of course, you're right. Us Seahawk fans are just hoping that Lynch makes a fatal mistake that sinks your ship, as our GM has done from time to time.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I would rather have had the Niners sign a decent right tackle and another corner as far as what they could have signed for the same overall money.
It doesn’t matter anyway if they don’t get their QB position figured out and healthy.
And if Bosa disappears in the playoffs again, will Hargrave really matter one way or another?
Hargrave is a good player though, i just think they have other needs more pressing.

The 49ers signed Hargrave so OCs more to think about than Bosa. That's why he should matter.

94Smith

Reaction score
They have been missing the dominant DT player since Buckner left. Kinlaw is looking like a bust or at least a rotational back up that does not justify his first round grade. Injuries have been the key there. Lynch and Shanahan value the defensive line over any other defensive position. Omenihu and Ebukam were not highly regarded when they came to the 49ers. The same as Arden Key the year before. The opposite DE to Bosa gets lots of pass rush opportunities because they key on him. Having Hargrave will bring the interior pressure back again. When I compare the 2019 defense to the 2022 defense, I feel the 2019 defense was better. Statistically they were not better, but they brought so much pressure it was fun to watch. That has been missing since Buckner left.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that Clelin Ferrell will be the new addition that ruins the most Seahawk's fan's days. The Niners have repeatedly signed DL dudes that hadn't lived up to expectations, then they flourish in SF.

94Smith

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that Clelin Ferrell will be the new addition that ruins the most Seahawk's fan's days. The Niners have repeatedly signed DL dudes that hadn't lived up to expectations, then they flourish in SF.
I think it helps when you have the DPOY and a probowl player at 2 of the other 3 positions. Kris Kocurek is a hell of a D line coach as well

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
You may be right, but I hope not. Let's hope Ferrell retains his "bust" status. You are right about DLs doing better with the 49ers than elsewhere. Kerry Hyder is a case in point. He was just a guy with us, better on a line with Bosa.

Scout

Reaction score
Inside pressure is how you make the edge pressure work to your favor. Not surprisingly the Hawks upgraded at center this off season and will probably draft an iOL in the upcoming draft.

Latest posts