Why Russell Wilson is perplexed...

Largent80

Reaction score
He is / was simply off for the last 2 games. Whatever the reason, I don't see it lasting.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HommyHawk":3n10piuc said:
TestesAzules.....

Nail on the head. I had a severe case of the blue balls once and my (soccer) game was all over the place, I was scared to shower with the guys, found myself even being attracted to skanks like Courtney Love.

And there's this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... the-field/

There are a lot of things different about Prince. For one, he’s married, so he’s [enjoying some things that he wasn't experiencing before he's married]. For a man, that could definitely help him out. For a man … I’m just being honest … it’s helping him out. He walks around with a little more swagger, which is something that we need, which is something that we love

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Normally when a QB's not making throws, it's either injury or pressure............and not pocket pressure. I mean pressure to perform.

I think it's a combo of these two. Russell's gotten hit A LOT this year, so he can say all he wants about feeling OK, I don't believe that. That's gotta have an impact on his game right now.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
He's just like every other above average to great QB in NFL history, they have bad games here and there (I recall Tom Brady was done earlier in the season after some so-so games). The O-line has been beat up (again), he lost his safety blanket in Tate and Miller and Harvin was clearly a headache in the locker room. Sometimes bad games just happen when injuries happen, headaches need clearing up and schemes are needing to be adjusted a bit.

I think once some of the young wide receivers are mixed in for a few weeks and the team starts to go back to the power running game (like they have the last 2 games) they will find themselves again over the final 8 games. Wilson just needs a bit more consistency along the O-line (fingers crossed) and I think the team will start to go back to the team most people thought they were to start the season.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wilson right now is rated lower than Charlie Whitehurst by DVOA. Wilson actually has a negative DYAR and is ranked 30th in the NFL behind Jake Locker, Charlie Whitehurst, Kyle Orton, etc.

Meanwhile, the offensive line has risen considerably this year in pass protection from dead last with a bullet in 2013 to 17th. The adjusted sack rate has improved from 9.6% to 6.7%.

The eyeball test, however, says this oline is not protecting him the way it should. The Rams, who came into the game with one sack, got four. The difference this year? Somewhat better protection plus a QB who is making much quicker throws. Little dinks and dunks to avoid the rush.

The rush isn't getting to Wilson because the pass pro is better, though it is improved over last season's catastrophe, Wilson is getting rid of the ball quicker.

So why is Wilson having such horrid games? He's overthrowing the ball mostly. He's not going deep, where he's historically had the highest completion percentage in the NFL. This is due to the quick passing game they've installed IMO. He's throwing more bubble screens (eyeball test on that theory, I haven't looked into the data) and the screens are really not working.

And let's not forget that Harvin was a bust and Tate is gone. Tate may have disappeared in some games, but how much of that was the defense keying on him and allowing other receivers to get open, aka ADB? And this season, with the emphasis on Harvin, Baldwin disappeared. Now that Harvin is gone, Baldwin is reasserting himself, but the supporting cast is not stepping out of the shadows. With Tate out there, the defense had more to worry about. Kearse could get open.

And then there's the TE. Let's not drop the ball and forget to mention Willson.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SeaChase":1654tvhf said:
Kansashawkfan":1654tvhf said:
Nobody else is stepping up on offense, except Lynch. How many games in a row can he single handedly win it in the final two minutes for us? The pressure on the kid has to be immense. The line has to give him much more protection than it has the last couple of weeks. With some of the injuried returning this week, that "should" improve. I think he'll return to his old self on Sunday.

I have a feeling one of the rookie WR's will step up, and I think it's going to be Norwood. He's finally healthy and getting some reps. He made a couple of nice grabs last game.
Once defenses have to start respecting Richardson, his speed will open up the field--including the midde, where Norwood can go crazy.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1ekn676n said:
Wilson right now is rated lower than Charlie Whitehurst by DVOA. Wilson actually has a negative DYAR and is ranked 30th in the NFL behind Jake Locker, Charlie Whitehurst, Kyle Orton, etc.

Meanwhile, the offensive line has risen considerably this year in pass protection from dead last with a bullet in 2013 to 17th. The adjusted sack rate has improved from 9.6% to 6.7%.

The eyeball test, however, says this oline is not protecting him the way it should. The Rams, who came into the game with one sack, got four. The difference this year? Somewhat better protection plus a QB who is making much quicker throws. Little dinks and dunks to avoid the rush.

The rush isn't getting to Wilson because the pass pro is better, though it is improved over last season's catastrophe, Wilson is getting rid of the ball quicker.

So why is Wilson having such horrid games? He's overthrowing the ball mostly. He's not going deep, where he's historically had the highest completion percentage in the NFL. This is due to the quick passing game they've installed IMO. He's throwing more bubble screens (eyeball test on that theory, I haven't looked into the data) and the screens are really not working.

And let's not forget that Harvin was a bust and Tate is gone. Tate may have disappeared in some games, but how much of that was the defense keying on him and allowing other receivers to get open, aka ADB? And this season, with the emphasis on Harvin, Baldwin disappeared. Now that Harvin is gone, Baldwin is reasserting himself, but the supporting cast is not stepping out of the shadows. With Tate out there, the defense had more to worry about. Kearse could get open.

And then there's the TE. Let's not drop the ball and forget to mention Willson.

DVOA is horrible for judging O-line, plus some of the improvement in sack rate can probably be pinned on Russ bailing on his O-line earlier this year, and the team's we've faced. As of last week I think only Denver were top 10 in sack rate and next was Washington.

There's absolutely no way our O-line can have improved this year, and that's nobody's fault, we've not been healthy. If Unger, Okung, Sweezy and Britt can stay healthy and play together, then we can maybe hope to have them playing at a level similar to the end of 2012 (the last time I can remember our guys being healthy together for a stretch of games).

sturg78

Reaction score
Hawks46":1bzz9bso said:
bbsplitter":1bzz9bso said:
SeaChase":1bzz9bso said:
bbsplitter":1bzz9bso said:
AVL said:
He knows not to throw anyone but himself under the bus. No reason for him to give an accurate answer.

The real problem is his addiction to game winning drives. We need to reprogram him into thinking every drive is the last drive of the game.

I think we need to more re-program that into our OC....

That's what I was thinking. The offense does marvelous things during the two minute drill. The OC needs to incorporate that into the entire game.

Seriously, when I watch our offensive their is a lack of immediacy how they go about drives, until it really matters, like you said in the 2 minute drill.

Well, we have this ponderous pace to our offense, mostly due to Pete's love of ball control offense. I would like to see us go to a quicker, up tempo offense once in a while, just to be unpredictable and take the opposing defense by surprise. Think of us plodding along, then the next drive we come out and start cranking down the field. Quick runs, quick passes. Once in a while throw in a no huddle for the hell of it (as long as the defense has been kept rested). I guess I'm just silly, but I believe in tricking the defense and keeping them guessing.

As to Russ's last game, there's no way that crappy OL didn't affect him. Seriously, every QB in the league gets a bit jittery and has happy feet when you start pounding them. Even durable guys like Cam and Big Ben don't like getting pounded all game; it throws off their rhythm. So, Wilson is getting immediate pressure a lot and getting jacked up, yet we're supposed to believe it doesn't affect him ? If he admits to it, other teams start blitzing him and beating the hell out of him.
I don't dig the fast tempo when your fixing an offense. A quick 3 and out is what gases our D a la san Diego

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If there's anybody I know and trust can turn things around, it's Russell Wilson.
He's always thinking positive, trying to be optimistic. And that leads to good results,
not only in football but in life.
Getting back some healthy O linemen should help him out a bit too

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do with - he is a now SB Champion QB.
This time last year he was just a diamond in the rough, a wanna-be. On a mission.
The pressure of repeat, of carrying the team to victory.

He's a kid still for crying out loud. He will return form soon!!

chris98251

Reaction score
For Christ's sake, from what I read they were flopping Gilliam around with other players on some plays because he didn't know the Guard assignments, you don't think that has an effect on the way he plays. Cable was on the sideline telling players your a Guard, Your a Tackle etc. There is an article on PFT on it.

Its close to playing street football and someone has to go home and you ask a Mom to play to even the sides up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":3vpubmze said:
bbsplitter":3vpubmze said:
AVL":3vpubmze said:
He knows not to throw anyone but himself under the bus. No reason for him to give an accurate answer.

The real problem is his addiction to game winning drives. We need to reprogram him into thinking every drive is the last drive of the game.

I think we need to more re-program that into our OC....

That's what I was thinking. The offense does marvelous things during the two minute drill. The OC needs to incorporate that into the entire game.
The O-Line is shit at protecting him, so in the 2 minute drill, everything is happening so fast, that their heads are swimming,,,So much so, that even they are fooled into believing their success in the drive was their own doing. :shock:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1v6tzttq said:
For Christ's sake, from what I read they were flopping Gilliam around with other players on some plays because he didn't know the Guard assignments, you don't think that has an effect on the way he plays. Cable was on the sideline telling players your a Guard, Your a Tackle etc. There is an article on PFT on it.

Its close to playing street football and someone has to go home and you ask a Mom to play to even the sides up.
So what you're saying is, that it's not that they don't know what they're doing, it's that they don't even suspect what they're doing? :lol:

AgentDib

Reaction score
The two minute drill thing is real but it is by design. Pete looks at the basic risk vs. reward tradeoff and pushes the conservative route - low risk/reward- because he trusts his defense to keep the score manageable. Bates and Hass were both out after year one for having higher risk/reward mindsets.

The throttle opens up when we have to score, and our offense looks better as a result. However, we are taking more chances and it doesn't always work out (INT final rams possession).

RiverDog

Reaction score
Rocket":378ghg1c said:
“I don’t think I played well at all, for whatever reason,” Wilson said. “And usually I know why. Usually I know why if something is off footwork-wise or whatever. That’s usually something I try to find out throughout the game so I can adjust. But, you know, I felt like I was in it. Just whatever I was trying to do, it wasn't working." http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 03xml.html

He's clearly been off the last few weeks. Some suggest a hidden injury, but I think the reported locker room issues are the cause. I'm betting that the alleged Harvin argument and the alleged whiteness comment and other possibilities are just weighing on the dude, whether they're true or simply media BS. Perhaps the rumors of his robot-ness are exaggerated and he's a mere mortal like the rest of us.

After all, he's just 25 and his last few years have been quite a ride.

Yea, Russell hasn't been playing well. He must have had a pretty rough 9 months since the SB victory, with all the demands on his time, his marriage problems, the rumors about Golden Tate, the Percy Harvin fiasco, the "not black enough" rumblings, and so on.

But I doubt that the off field stuff is the root cause of his on field troubles. Russell appears to me to be the consummate professional and can compartmentalize his life so that one part doesn't affect the other. IMO it's more than likely that he's having to deal with a lot of things, from losing his starting center, and the backup center, to having to adjust to an offense that wasn't planned around Percy Harvin's sorry azz.

But none of those reasons make good excuses. He has to suck it up and play with the cards he's dealt. If he's truly the elite quarterback everyone says he is, he'll find a way to adjust. We saw him do it last year. You can't have a passing offense that's close to the worst in the league and not have at least some of that blame fall on the shoulders of the quarterback.

Latest posts