Why do I feel Quinn is our next HC

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can’t shake it. I don’t think he would be a bad coach, I really don’t. I just feel like some of you, that it’s time to move on from the Pete Carroll orbit. Quinn was a fantastic DC which helped mold one of the best defenses in NFL history. Who among us doesn’t love that nostalgia?

However, as REO Speedwagon once opined, I can’t fight this feeling any longer. I feel like John and Dan are going to reminisce, perhaps over some cocktails, and bada boom, bada bing, next thing you know the announcement is made.

In all sincerity, would that really be such a bad thing? Honestly I just don’t know.

I do know I wouldn’t mind some fresh blood coming in with no ties to our relationship past.

I’m torn.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We'll never move on fully from the Pete Carroll orbit with John Schneider running the show. We would've needed to clean house, John included.

With John running the show, I wouldn't dislike links to Carroll. Carroll's influence is absolutely rare. If we can maintain some of his ethos, we should endeavor to do so.

I get those who are bummed on Quinn, but I don't get those who think he (and all of the other candidates that are not complete unknowns as head coaches) is incapable of changing or improving. Quinn brought an Atlanta Falcons team to a Super Bowl. Regardless of how it ended, whose to say he won't make good hires and have us on another run when paired with John Schneider instead of Dimitroff, y'know?

At the end of the day, I don't like the idea of just erasing Pete for the sake of it. If John is sold on a hire who wants to reshape the organizations tone and focus in his image, then I say go for it, but otherwise, I think a little bit of Carrollism is to be commended. Radical belief in your men and radical focus on elevating your guys to new heights. It's just great leadership.

Don't forget Pete. Learn his most valuable lessons and carve them into the halls of Seahawk football. Carry his work on and improve on it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Need to remember, Pete was much more safety approach in his offense and defense mentality, careful with the ball make the safe play only challange when behind in the 4th quarter, bend don't break defense.

We seen Quinn when here be much more aggressive on defense, challenge the receivers and be more physical with more stunts and blitz's.

I think it may be simular in culture, but much more attacking and aggresive on the field.

Mick063

Reaction score
Jody Allen gave the marching orders to maintain the culture. I don't disagree with it but believe the culture would have been best maintained if they just let Pete leave on his own terms. He probably would have left on his own within a couple of seasons. Now you have whispers around the league that the Seahawk organization does not think twice about publicly humiliating their legends.

Jody Allen listened to the wrong people and has done the organization unnecessary reputational harm. They can recover from it by winning at a long-term clip greater than Pete Carroll, a task more difficult than many people can comprehend, but basically, the ownership has now inherited the crosshairs that were always on Pete's back. I don't have confidence that they will handle it well. Unless they bring in the right guy, right now, and he makes immediate impact, I envision a slow-motion train wreck in the making. Possibly leading up to the sale of the franchise to a new ownership group that isn't particularly enamored with a city that wouldn't build a new arena for the Sonics (which it rightfully shouldn't have). The roof of your house has a 25–30 year lifespan. NFL stadium life spans are roughly equivalent.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Mael hit on it. Jody's stated goal was to maintain the positive culture Pete built. That effectively eliminates drastic changes in culture like a Vrabel or Belichick would bring. With that said, several other candidates fit that mold besides DQ. Kafka and Morris are two examples. So, while Dan probably has the leg up since he has prior connections, I don't think he's the inevitable choice. John zags more often than he zigs; if DQ is the obvious choice, we'll almost certainly end up with someone else, like Kafka, Morris, or that guy from the Raiders.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Fans assume that Quinn is the favorite among the names. However, I believe it to be Raheem Morris.

Here are the reasons why:

Morris is very likable & outgoing. He has great energy & and people gravitate towards him as a leader.

Another thing that he has going for him is that he's been around the league for quite a while. So he has connections. Including having worked with both Quinn & Ejiro Evero. He has also worked under McVay, Tony Dungy & Mike Shanahan. Both he & Pete have a connection to Monte Kiffin.

I honestly would be surprised if Quinn gets the gig over him.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’ve stated that I think we slightly overrate the culture element a little bit. I’ve watched stuff on multiple teams that also have a great culture that players love to play for. Niners, Dallas, Baltimore, Detroit, GB, Pitts etc. there are some bad ones of course and we were lucky we didn’t have to deal with that. but the idea that only Pete’s culture is a good one so let’s hang on for dear life to any little piece of it will hold the team back. They should definitely hold that skillset in high regard moving forward but it can be and probably should be different.

You fired a guy because his approach, method, culture (which we saw elements of this year with DK laughing at his penalty board, Adams doubling down after Pete said he talked to him etc) so why would you attempt to keep some of it?

The building needs a fresh perspective, different philosophy etc moving forward and I’m hoping John sees it the same way.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Mael hit on it. Jody's stated goal was to maintain the positive culture Pete built. That effectively eliminates drastic changes in culture like a Vrabel or Belichick would bring. With that said, several other candidates fit that mold besides DQ. Kafka and Morris are two examples. So, while Dan probably has the leg up since he has prior connections, I don't think he's the inevitable choice. John zags more often than he zigs; if DQ is the obvious choice, we'll almost certainly end up with someone else, like Kafka, Morris, or that guy from the Raiders.

In what way would that possibly eliminate Vrabel? I would argue he’s easily as liked as Pete is by players who play for him. His culture while wanting more accountability and toughness but he’s a players coach. I agree on Belichick though.

This idea that a positive culture is so rare is an outdated opinion. It applies when Pete came into the league but I’d say it’s actually the majority now and not the outlier

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fans assume that Quinn is the favorite among the names. However, I believe it to be Raheem Morris.

Here are the reasons why:

Morris is very likable & outgoing. He has great energy & and people gravitate towards him as a leader.

Another thing that he has going for him is that he's been around the league for quite a while. So he has connections. Including having worked with both Quinn & Ejiro Evero. He has also worked under McVay, Tony Dungy & Mike Shanahan. Both he & Pete have a connection to Monte Kiffin.

I honestly would be surprised if Quinn gets the gig over him.

Morris has grown on me admittedly. He brings all the stuff people seem to think only Pete brings and has a fairly diversified group of people he’s worked with. He’s not my ideal choice but I’d be good with it. Another guy players LOVE playing for

CactusJack

Reaction score
Morris has grown on me admittedly. He brings all the stuff people seem to think only Pete brings and has a fairly diversified group of people he’s worked with. He’s not my ideal choice but I’d be good with it. Another guy players LOVE playing for
Same.

He's maybe the 4th or 5th name on my list. Certainly not my top choice.

I still would prefer a young OC like a Ben Johnson type. I'm also much higher on Mike MacDonald & Mike Vrabel as potential fits here.

But he's simply a better candidate than Quinn & some of the other names that are being floated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dare I say the Seahawks cultivated the very template we see employed throughout the league on some levels and in some form or fashion? When Pete came aboard there was a whole lot of innovation going on in Renton. And no, I’m not talking about hoops and blasting music.

Ironic as it is now, once upon a time we actually were leaders in proper tackling technique. We were the only team I knew of talking about the importance of mind and body connection. Visualization was a vital part element to some players. I could go on and on.

The Seahawks have been innovative for over a decade on multiple levels. I for one can see why there’s the notion collectively between John and ownership to maintain a certain level of the culture and camaraderie that was established by Pete and John from the beginning.

I guess that’s my very long winded way of saying that I suppose if DQ is announced as our new Head Coach I won’t be too terribly upset.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
DQ would have already been hired if it was him.

All due respect but how do you know that? We fans sure like to state opinions as facts. John may very well be simply performing his due diligence, interviewing a host of candidates before making such a monumental decision.

Truth is, you have no basis to suggest such a statement other than mere opinion. And I don’t mean to pick on you personally, truth is, we fans do this all the time. We make statements on a message board as if we have some insider source.

We don’t.

keasley45

Reaction score
Not trying to stir the pot, but the hell with the culture. The Hawks are a terribly soft and undisciplined team. That's what the culture and coddling has gotten us. I want a different culture than that.
The culture is not to be soft. Softness has nothing to do with it. Culture, and how Pete enforced it (or didnt) are being conflated.

Pete built the foundation for a culture that is outstanding. And then he gradually allowed accountability to fall to coordinators which he himself didnt hold accountable enough. THAT is not part of the culture that's important to retain.

Keep the culture. Get someone to enforce it and appoint leadership around him that will maintain excellence.

knownone

Reaction score
In what way would that possibly eliminate Vrabel? I would argue he’s easily as liked as Pete is by players who play for him. His culture while wanting more accountability and toughness but he’s a players coach. I agree on Belichick though.

This idea that a positive culture is so rare is an outdated opinion. It applies when Pete came into the league but I’d say it’s actually the majority now and not the outlier
Tom Pelisero's reason why Seattle hasn't interviewed Vrabel was culture fit. Essentially, he said Vrabel didn't fit Seattle's positive culture and embracing individuality. Is he wrong? Maybe. However, it's the only rational explanation I've heard for why Vrabel hasn't been interviewed. Why do you think they haven't interviewed him?

Also, who said positive culture was rare?