Where do you get your hope for next season?

Tokadub

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1ed19467 said:
I’ll have to rely on others for any hope going forward. Show me the light.

For me:
PC is still around and needed to go long ago with a nice gold watch and our thanks.
OC might be able to run more of his stuff after the reigns maybe were loosened at the end of last season. Maybe.
DC is a protege of the 4 year failure KNJ and PC is running the show so no change.
Trades: same JS giving good capital for one year rentals and a bad Adams trade (still like Adams but the bad bad trade)
Draft: same decision makers. Expect the same type of first pick being completely wasted yet again. Don’t expect a Chubb or Taylor or creed Humphrey to ever be chosen - especially if the “experts” have them highly ranked. We need to go for the surprising pick because we are smarter than everyone else.
Russell Wilson: could still be gone. That of course would hurt next year AND give PC an excuse to waste more years of the Seahawks fans lives
Playoffs - PC sucks on the playoffs. 1 win in FIVE years. Why would anything change?
Running Back: who? Will likely overpay for Penny who will last 4 games and be done. Carson should be gone. Collins is a FA.

So, I see us as maybe barely making the playoffs if even and then a quick exit.

So where is your hope because with PC I think we are screwed until he is gone.

Well I'll answer this before I read any responses...

I don't have hope... I really don't.

Best case scenario our defense gets better with these new hirings, but knowing this staff they will skimp on the offensive line and we will be out of the playoffs round 1-2 because Wilson cannot execute an offense with a trash offensive line and mediocre Running Backs. Marshawn Lynch was the only reason Wilson could do anything with our trash O-lines since he's been here.

Honestly it's amazing he would still be on this team with our trash O-lines for around 10 years.

It's gonna be the same thing of the past 5 years I'm afraid.

I think even if we improve on one side of the ball the Pete Carroll led team will find a way to ensure we cannot make it to the Conference finals.

Like right now it seems very clear they are going deep to get some new defensive coaches... WE NEED WAY MORE HELP ON OFFENSE THAN DEFENSE IMO.

We are not gonna win in the playoffs with Shane Waldron and a trash O-line and that's what I expect to see this season.

Shane Waldron should be fired immedietely. As another Seahawks fan has said, why do we have a borderline hall of famer QB but we are hiring inexperienced trash offensive coordinators with no resume?

IT'S INSANITY! I think we have a 2% chance to win a Superbowl without a new Offensive Coordinator and investing HEAVILY (look at what the rams did going all-in) with the O-line and D line/ Pass Rush.

Jamal Adams might be such a bad deal that no coach could manage this shit show even with Russell Wilson, but if they don't do something different on offense than Shane Waldron I'm 98% sure we won't make the Conference Finals.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2is8bdzl said:
Don't mistake this for me saying other roster holes should go ignored in pursuit of a stellar third receiver. I'm just making the point that for two years in a row, a team has made the big show by overextending opposing defenses with three great receiving threats. It's hard to overlook the pattern.

KC made it with Pringle, Dieter, Harmon, and Demarcus Robinson. The Rams made it this year with only two threats. Your theory has some holes in it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tokadub":1cl4j3kg said:
I don't have hope... I really don't.

Why should you? I'm sure the team will be somewhat better if Wilson stays healthy, but what are the expectations going forward with so little draft capital, a new DC that was hired within, same coach that equals same philosophy, and a stacked division that they somehow need to go through?

Its not looking good.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite.

It's easier to be negative than be hopeful. You go into a season feeling negative, you either get to be presently surprised or proven right.

So I'll say, managing expectations.

At the end of the day, you are looking at what historically happens to every team that experiences dominant success.

Since our SB win, Seattle has experienced a drain in rostered talent, coaching talent, and front office talent. This exacerbates every miss in the draft, every missed trade, every injury, etc. The margin for error just shrinks when you pay a QB top dollar and on top of that you are experiencing drain in your coaching and personnel departments.

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay (some of the most consistently well run organizations in the NFL) have all experienced playoff droughts. The only organization that has been truly dominant has been NE. And that is because they had Tom Brady on a reduced salary, Bill Belichick at HC, 2 Cheating Scandals, and one of the weakest divisions in football.

Most other teams have high and low seasons. The Niners will have a losing record then go on a deep play off bid. So will the Colts and Saints and Broncos and on and on and on. Consistent, year after year, playoff berths over a decade are far rarer than sporadic bursts of success.

If you go into every season wanting to be at the level of dominance of the 2012-2014 Seahawks. Or the 2019-2021 KC Chiefs. Or the 2010-2011 Packers. You're going to be disappointed more often than not.

Just ride the wave.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Nobody is expecting dominance like the 2013 team, but many of us are expecting more than Seattles pathetic post season record since 2014.

I'm tired of riding that wave. Its time to get off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bj6l5htlsmjxc1wstrko6fpmfptofgn29tmgga5xtrid200w

I haven't changed my opinion on the Hawks in a good 5-6 years with the Pete and Russ show. If Russell stays healthy and pulls 4-5 games out of his ass, this team can be in the Wildcard mix, then suffer another 1st round playoff loss.

So hope? Nah. I don't see enough significant change at the top to have any other opinion.

kf3339

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2ngebapr said:
KinesProf":2ngebapr said:
Without the Russ injury and the ridiculous officiating at LA the Hawks might have been in the dance too.

Nope. The only way Seattle could have made it is if Dwayne Eskridge was healthy. Thats clearly the reason.

Thinking our team might have been in the dance is just silly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not nearly enough change at the top. Until I see different, cautiously optimistic. But, it's hard to expect anything more than a playoff win, maybe two. MAYBE.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Before last season, I sort of just fundamentally lowered my expectations. I thought about the utterly erratic play of the team over the previous three or four seasons, and the disagreement between vision and execution at the front office and coaching levels. The prime examples are how the Hawks have claimed to need to add toughness (consistent failure, here), re-establish a tone-setting run game (erratic at best), and, my favorite, "fix the pass rush" (epic failure, here, over and over again). The vexing thing is there have been opportunities to fix these things, but the Hawks keep whiffing.

So this past season was spent focusing on the possibility of young players emerging as (maybe) part of a new nucleus. I got a lot of joy out of seeing Haynes and Curhan looking awesome on a lot of reps. How exciting would it be if they represented a solidifying of the right side of the line? Home-grown dudes, no less.

I had a hard time enjoying Brooks's emergence. I just keep thinking, "wecouldhavehadjonathantaylorwecouldhavehadjonathantaylor" (and actually fix one of those things they've been claiming is a prioirity). But, that's not his fault. So, I'll get over it.

It's sort of how a lot of approached 'Hawk fandom in the 1990s. So it wasn't unfamiliar. In some ways, I actually enjoyed the games more. And it reminded me of watching the hapless Hawks of the 1990s, when I was a youngster and able to watch the games largely because of a giant-ass satellite dish in the back yard. Some of you may remember these sorts of dishes. Massive. And they had to spin around and $hit and it took what now would seem like forever.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Setting appropriate expectations helps.

We are not a SB threat. We aren't a contender to win our Division.

But we aren't going to be abjectly terrible either. We still have Wilson, and he still wins you a few games a year just on keeping games close or comebacks.

Pete has a coaching strategy that works against .500 and below teams. This means we are going to win many of those games.

Add in that our poor showing this year gives us an easier schedule?

We can get near 8-9 wins.

Isn't that pretty much all we can reasonably expect? Maybe 10 wins if everything falls our way and some key people on opposing teams have problems? (injuries, bad year, whatever).

We have a reasonable expectation that when we go to a game or watch it on a Sunday, we will win a good enough % of those.

Certainly enough to make 8+ wins possible.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3r3k7z8q said:

But we aren't going to be abjectly terrible either. We still have Wilson, and he still wins you a few games a year just on keeping games close or comebacks.

Pete has a coaching strategy that works against .500 and below teams. This means we are going to win many of those games.

Isn't that pretty much all we can reasonably expect? Maybe 10 wins if everything falls our way and some key people on opposing teams have problems? (injuries, bad year, whatever).

We have a reasonable expectation that when we go to a game or watch it on a Sunday, we will win a good enough % of those.

And is that good enough for you?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Twisted never said it was good enough. The thread about hope and expectations in 2022.
He loves the Hawks just like everyone else in here.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1zq1wgig said:
TwistedHusky":1zq1wgig said:

And is that good enough for you?

Heck no thats not good enough and thats why many of us have been clamoring for change for years now because we saw this trend unraveling. Unfortunately in the present though, as Twisted described, this about all we can expect.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I take my hope from a few things.

The new OC finally got the kinks worked out by the end of the season, and the team has moved on from the DC who had failed to address may key pass coverage issues and with the pass game coordinator who had simply failed at his job.

Wilson got better running the O near the end of the season, the D was improved over what we saw at the beginning of the season, and began to find some consistency with a pass rush. i was encouraged by the play seen from a finally healthy Penny and began to understand why the Eskridge pick was made.

The team managed to win 4 of 6 divisional games in the undoubted toughest division in football and was able to play very competitively against all in the division though the Rams have still got an advantage which may be able to be solved with a stronger interior OLine.

It's a matter of perspective for the viewer as to the viewpoint that the team has no ability to challenge for a deep postseason run this upcoming season. To me it will depend upon their ability to keep key players and to bolster the depth at the several key areas of some positional weakness. I think they could be a good bit stronger than many allow. I'd want to see what moves are made in the preseason before offering a firm position.

Frankly as well I'm not an Anti-Peter and have not got a closed mind as far as his current ability to know what's going on. There is however zero likelihood that sentiment would ever be shared by the several here who like Eeyore think it's going to perpetually rain and there is not the slightest chance the team could be actually pretty good next season.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2wjj5ky2 said:
I take my hope from a few things.

The new OC finally got the kinks worked out by the end of the season, and the team has moved on from the DC who had failed to address may key pass coverage issues and with the pass game coordinator who had simply failed at his job.

Wilson got better running the O near the end of the season, the D was improved over what we saw at the beginning of the season, and began to find some consistency with a pass rush. i was encouraged by the play seen from a finally healthy Penny and began to understand why the Eskridge pick was made.

The team managed to win 4 of 6 divisional games in the undoubted toughest division in football and was able to play very competitively against all in the division though the Rams have still got an advantage which may be able to be solved with a stronger interior OLine.

It's a matter of perspective for the viewer as to the viewpoint that the team has no ability to challenge for a deep postseason run this upcoming season. To me it will depend upon their ability to keep key players and to bolster the depth at the several key areas of some positional weakness. I think they could be a good bit stronger than many allow. I'd want to see what moves are made in the preseason before offering a firm position.

Frankly as well I'm not an Anti-Peter and have not got a closed mind as far as his current ability to know what's going on. There is however zero likelihood that sentiment would ever be shared by the several here who like Eeyore think it's going to perpetually rain and there is not the slightest chance the team could be actually pretty good next season.

I’m not here to ask for Hope and then stomp on it. I’m just looking for the reasons some of you have it. Cheers.

Chawker

Reaction score
Remember Russ's rookie year after the loss to the Falcons. WHY NOT US ! We need a leader to step up with another great slogan for 2022. Something we all can believe in.

But first we need a play off worthy team.

toffee

Reaction score
I take my hope on the disaster 2021 season. Our offense couldn't convert 3rd downs, and our defense couldn't stop 3rd down conversions, our time of possession was totally ridiculous. You know what? We were about 12 points away from making the playoff. 12 points in 3 games we could be 10-7, and playoff. Guys played hard till the last game.

Our offense will be one more year under that new OC, our defense will improve with better coaching.