Where do you get your hope for next season?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’ll have to rely on others for any hope going forward. Show me the light.

For me:
PC is still around and needed to go long ago with a nice gold watch and our thanks.
OC might be able to run more of his stuff after the reigns maybe were loosened at the end of last season. Maybe.
DC is a protege of the 4 year failure KNJ and PC is running the show so no change.
Trades: same JS giving good capital for one year rentals and a bad Adams trade (still like Adams but the bad bad trade)
Draft: same decision makers. Expect the same type of first pick being completely wasted yet again. Don’t expect a Chubb or Taylor or creed Humphrey to ever be chosen - especially if the “experts” have them highly ranked. We need to go for the surprising pick because we are smarter than everyone else.
Russell Wilson: could still be gone. That of course would hurt next year AND give PC an excuse to waste more years of the Seahawks fans lives
Playoffs - PC sucks on the playoffs. 1 win in FIVE years. Why would anything change?
Running Back: who? Will likely overpay for Penny who will last 4 games and be done. Carson should be gone. Collins is a FA.

So, I see us as maybe barely making the playoffs if even and then a quick exit.

So where is your hope because with PC I think we are screwed until he is gone.

toffee

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":kgdbouk4 said:

For me:
PC is still around and needed to go long ago with a nice gold watch and our thanks.
OC might be able to run more of his stuff after the reigns maybe were loosened at the end of last season. Maybe.
DC is a protege of the 4 year failure KNJ and PC is running the show so no change.
Trades: same JS giving good capital for one year rentals and a bad Adams trade (still like Adams but the bad bad trade)
Draft: same decision makers. Expect the same type of first pick being completely wasted yet again. Don’t expect a Chubb or Taylor or creed Humphrey to ever be chosen - especially if the “experts” have them highly ranked. We need to go for the surprising pick because we are smarter than everyone else.
Russell Wilson: could still be gone. That of course would hurt next year AND give PC an excuse to waste more years of the Seahawks fans lives
Playoffs - PC sucks on the playoffs. 1 win in FIVE years. Why would anything change?
Running Back: who? Will likely overpay for Penny who will last 4 games and be done. Carson should be gone. Collins is a FA.

The narrative of dot net has spoken.

Chawker

Reaction score
1. Improving our passrush: Draft a 3 tech DT that can stuff the run and collapses the pocket on 3rd downs.

2. Improve our running game: Draft Abram Smith RB Baylor, yac guy. Mr. Granite!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5auuhgb0 said:

For me:

Your hope might come from considering that your "loosened reigns" narrative is really, really not as solid as you think it is.

All you have to do is say "hmm, maybe I'm wrong" and boom. Hope.

James in PA

Reaction score
The Bengals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
James in PA":3ejljica said:
The Bengals

The Bengals have the same number of wins in this years playoffs as we have had total since we lost the Super Bowl.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
James in PA":2n9mq0bf said:
The Bengals

Ah, yes.

The team succeeding based on putting together a tandem of 3 fantastic wide receivers.

This board does not think WR3 is important, though.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Areas for hope...

- This season the warts were harder to ignore. A lot of people who had never questioned the team started asking questions. That is good. Pete's schtick is already past due. Another season should have more people waking up, even if we overachieve.

- Getting a young and not as fragile RB is still possible in the draft. That would prevent us from going back to square 1 after we (should) let Penny walk unless he's lower cost.

- Russell Wilson has a full, healthy season.

- Our ceiling remains getting into the playoffs before getting spanked to a floor of missing the playoffs entirely because of (reasons). Every season the above happens is a year closer to a regime change.

- We do have some $$$ to spend, especially if we either restructure Wagner or cut him.

- Another year of seeing how the Jamal Adams trade and why the brain trust behind that move should be canned.

- Hopefully another year where ownership can't ignore the problems or sells to a new ownership that wants to win Super Bowls (like Paul Allen did). That last is the murkiest, but keeping a mediocre status quo makes a lot more sense.

John63

Reaction score
the last 2 games with a healthy Wilson and actually playing Wladrons offense.
improve dline
improve oline
get an RB
The Hop PC will keep his nose out of the offense

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m not going to argue against any answer. I don’t have any hope. I’ll live off of some of you all until the season begin.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":30jsl3k3 said:
James in PA":30jsl3k3 said:
The Bengals

Ah, yes.

The team succeeding based on putting together a tandem of 3 fantastic wide receivers.

So the success of the Bengals is attributed to the 3 WRs? Lol.

xray

Reaction score
I get mine from Gin and Crumble . Is that wrong ?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":18agul75 said:
Maelstrom787":18agul75 said:
James in PA":18agul75 said:
The Bengals

Ah, yes.

Largely, yes.

Of course, there's the obvious element in Burrow, but they weren't getting there without Chase, Boyd, and Higgins. No way, no how.

I look forward to an incredibly fruitless argument beginning with your reply that somehow attempts to negate the influence of them having three excellent receiving options simultaneously.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Hope comes from this being the NFL and having wild yearly variance and swings.

The two teams in the Super Bowl - one missed the playoffs entirely last season and the other was a wild card team last season. Their boards were likely also having these 'no shot ' downer convos as well; Chiefs boards aren't pretty at all right now either. Honestly, just a crazy unpredictable league.

Without the Russ injury and the ridiculous officiating at LA the Hawks might have been in the dance too.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":eu1bc930 said:
pittpnthrs":eu1bc930 said:
Maelstrom787":eu1bc930 said:
James in PA":eu1bc930 said:
The Bengals

Ah, yes.

Largely, yes.

Of course, there's the obvious element in Burrow, but they weren't getting there without Chase, Boyd, and Higgins. No way, no how.

I look forward to an incredibly fruitless argument beginning with your reply that somehow attempts to negate the influence of them having three excellent receiving options simultaneously.

No argument from me. I see how wrong I am. I mean the Rams made it to the Super Bowl and they have that juggernaut Van Jefferson as their 3rd receiver. Seattle had a down year and that was clearly because Eskridge was hurt most of it. I mean he exploded when he got back into the lineup and was a true difference maker. That WR3 spot is vital I tell you.

Having 3 good starting WRs in the lineup is a luxury, not a must.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
KinesProf":2pantb38 said:
Without the Russ injury and the ridiculous officiating at LA the Hawks might have been in the dance too.

Nope. The only way Seattle could have made it is if Dwayne Eskridge was healthy. Thats clearly the reason.

Elemas

Reaction score
Agree with a lot of your inferences. Going to have faith in PC although I truly get frustrated when we’re near or past the 50, it’s 4th and inches, and we punt. Situational but, gotta have faith. Morale crusher.

Draft has to improve. On this, I 100% agree with you. Look no further than LJ (who had “great hands”). On the flip side, you end up with Wuern instead of Brooks. You can’t bat 100 here and we’re not the only team that goes through this. But, I still get heated when I think about Eskridge over Creed or Myers (local kid where I live..watched him through junior and high school, friend of my 2nd oldest..always a bad ass), Tearing it up for GB. Nothing against Eskridge.

OC…hopefully he has some control. I hope we caught a glimpse of what he has in those final games.

DC..hire from within? Not sure how I feel about this. I wanted all KNJ influence gone along with him. The seamless transition will be nice for him but, hopefully he’s wise enough to capitalize on things that worked and dump that which didn’t.

Praying RW returns. Moot point if not.

I’d love to see an Edge, CB, o-lineman or two, and a RB in our draft mix and free agent signings.

RB….Tricky. Healthy Penny gets us deep in the playoffs. Great run game will compliment Russ for sure. Can we match the big offers he’d likely generate? How many games before injury? CC back…meh…show me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2thwafq9 said:
KinesProf":2thwafq9 said:

Nope. The only way Seattle could have made is if Dwayne Eskridge was healthy. Thats clearly the reason.

Well, if he was healthy AND more effective, really.

I think it's becoming the blueprint, honestly. Sure, it's definitely a luxury - but to get to the Super Bowl, I think you've got to have quite a few luxuries.

It also covers for so many other roster holes. I know there's some argument about which line is worse, but the entire line from center to right tackle for Cincy is made up of barely-rosterable individuals. It doesn't matter, though. Those options are just too damn effective, with Chase being an instant superstar with near 1500 regular season yards.

Don't mistake this for me saying other roster holes should go ignored in pursuit of a stellar third receiver. I'm just making the point that for two years in a row, a team has made the big show by overextending opposing defenses with three great receiving threats. It's hard to overlook the pattern.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":oe8yywy8 said:

Antonio Brown on a dirt cheap contract with no guaranteed money is what I'm hoping for. No risk, high reward.

Might buy Eskridge some time to develop too

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm on the skeptical side for now due to our personnel challenges. The guys we are losing to free agency are high value contributors.

Our six contracts with the best return on investment last season were Quandre Diggs, DJ Reed, Al Woods, Rasheem Green, Will Dissly and DK Metcalf. DK is the only one of those under contract for 2022 and we're looking at potentially a big extension (or trade) with him. The rest will make more in 2022 due to free agency which means we won't be able to afford resigning most of them.

We also borrowed a fair amount from next season in terms of cap. We spent $9m on 2022 void years and then another $40mil in cap escalations due to Ford (7m), Jackson (5m), Russ (5m), Adams (4m), Carson (4m), Dunlap (4m), Wagner (3m), Lockett (2m), Hyder (2m), Dickson (2m), and Mayowa (2m). The cap would have to go up by 50m just to account for those increases alone if we were trying to run everything back the same.

We are once again are in the bottom 5 of the league in terms of draft capital due to trading away our picks. That's not as immediately bad for 2022 but it does have negative implications on our long-term outlook.

So to sum up, the FO needs to find a bunch of cheap players who end up being productive for us. That isn't impossible; even recently they've gotten DJ Reed off waivers, Diggs for a 5th, Carson for a 7th, Curhan as a UDFA. However, we need a lot more of those if the 2022 roster is going to be better than the 2021 roster was.