What would you pay Geno and for how many years?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
1000% Watson as a player not a person

I think Watson is probably the better choice, but I don't think it's "1000%."
Watson was great, but with only 204 pass attempts, in 2017. He was also great in 2020. He was good but not great in 2018-2019. And now he's gone a full season and a half without playing.

Watson is five years younger than Smith. As good as Smith has been this season (significantly better than Watson in 2018-2019), Watson was noticeably better in 2017 (in a smaller sample) and in 2020 (a full season).

I think most of my uncertainty comes from just not knowing how nearly two seasons away from NFL games will affect Watson's career trajectory.

As I said, I think that, at least in terms of on-field performance, Watson is the better choice. I just don't think it's as clear as "1000%."

keasley45

Reaction score
4 years $155M w/ $60M guaranteed is appx what I think it will take.

2023 - $30M signing bonus + $2.5M salary ($10M cap hit leaves $20M effective cap for free agency).

2024 - $32.5M salary ($40M cap hit leaves enough for FA, all guaranteed money now paid)

2025 - $45M salary. If he's still the starter he'll be worth it. If he's not dead cap is only $15M.

2026 - $50M salary. See 2025.
This could work. But I think the guaranteed $ needs to be a good bit higher. The deals by Lamar, Hurts and Tua are going to skew things upward significantly.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's trending towards Dak money.

The handwringing over this stuff is dumb, the salary cap is a joke. The cap can always be finagle'd as long as the owner is willing to put a lot of money into escrow. Skinflint owners hamper teams more than the actual cap.

Gotta say, i agree.

N3putts@

Reaction score
Everyone forgets that this is who Geno is. Those of us who followed him in college know, but as we’ve seen QB’s who get drafted into shit situations sometimes never recover. He’s the only QB from his draft class still in the league.

renofox

Reaction score
Everyone forgets that this is who Geno is. Those of us who followed him in college know, but as we’ve seen QB’s who get drafted into shit situations sometimes never recover. He’s the only QB from his draft class still in the league.
The 2013 QB draft class sucked balls.

I'm glad PCJS passed on the 2022 QB class - they'll probably be even worse.

Own The West

Reaction score
I like the transition tag idea myself. It seems like a win-win. Geno’s not going to carry this franchise the next 10 years so we can afford to pay him some for his performance this year, but if someone wants to give him 40M+ we’ll get good capital to continue building this team by letting him walk.

I also like the idea of giving him mad money up front— like $30M signing and $20M/$25M/$30M over 3 years so he gets his money but remains relatively affordable going forward.

sutz

Reaction score
I suspect they'll find a team friendly deal that Geno can live with.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This is going to be tough. If SW takes a HC job and GS regresses to average we don’t want to be overburdened by his contract.

I would prefer a two year deal. Doesn’t really matter how much as long as it doesn’t cripple us from signing our own players.

Maybe a three year contract that pays most of the guaranteed money in two years.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Seahawks are expected to offer Geno a long-term extension after the season.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Awful performance today. Geno Smith isn’t scaring anybody when he tucks the ball to run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
System qb. Good to run this O but not a top guy. Body language when things don’t go right sucks. Performance is kind of like a Fitzpatrick as he can be efficient but not spectacular.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I’ll repeat my last post from 2 weeks ago:

System qb. Good to run this O but not a top guy. Body language when things don’t go right sucks. Performance is kind of like a Fitzpatrick as he can be efficient but not spectacular.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m not down with $40M a year…high 20’s and low 30’s, yes.

But not 40.