What are the expectations

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The defense has to improve. The record is dependent on what they plan to do at QB. If they keep Geno, I expect them to be a playoff team. If they move on and go younger, I'll have more tempered expectations.
Kind of my take.

The coaching change is significant but seeing what moves they make with the roster will be the signal for what to expect.

We were 1 game (how about one BS PI call against the Rams?) away from the playoffs against one of the hardest schedules in the league so my expectations will be higher or lower based on what they seem to want to do because this team could be a playoff threat next year if Schneider and Macdonald want it to be.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am not expecting a record worse than this past season the offense to be similar but the defense to be improved and as a team to make the playoffs

I saw in a recent interview involving KJ Wright saying that the Hawks wouldn’t tackle in practice until the preseason that is going to change

BChawkfan

Reaction score
I think the roster as constructed is a playoff contender but it'll take a year or two before him and John do a clean up of the roster and get their new guys in. The NFC West is still the best division in football and 49ers/Rams will remain right near the top. First year HC is going to have a hard time jumping the current pecking order. My armchair outsider opinion thinks Pete felt the current roster and coaching staff is close to a SB and John didn't. John also highlighted in the press conference today the Ravens game was a defining moment for new direction of this team and an ass kicking like that won't happen again (basically saying how excited he was to be the ones doing what the Ravens did to us). Only way to fix that is full deconstruction of the trenches.

Biggest thing I want to see next year is on the defensive side of the ball. Aggressive scheme, less yards per game, more takeaways, more pressure/sacks, more confusion. I'm so beyond sick of the bend but don't break 400+ yards a game that STILL gave up explosives all over the field. I'm so sick of the trenches being a joke compared to the Browns, Ravens, Cowboys, etc. During the LOB years I honestly liked watching the defense more because it felt like every drive could be a huge momentum swinging play. Would love to get back to that style of football.
I too enjoy watching the defense way more than the offense. As hard as it has been over the last few years to watch them give up yards on the D side of the ball,they were fun and sometimes funny team on D.
The offense has been quite boring at times.
I'm looking forward to watching this team grow into a real football team again

renofox

Reaction score
The product on the field should be more than the sum of its parts. Every player coached to his ability and put in position to succeed as part of a team. That's all you can ask of a coach.

Overall success will be more dependent on JS and his ability to give MM the pieces he needs while getting the crappy cap situation under control.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Expectations should include making playoffs. Pete kept Matt as QB at first. Expect Macdonald to do the same by keeping Geno as starting QB but search for a new QB.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I too enjoy watching the defense way more than the offense. As hard as it has been over the last few years to watch them give up yards on the D side of the ball,they were fun and sometimes funny team on D.
The offense has been quite boring at times.
I'm looking forward to watching this team grow into a real football team again

The games where the Seahawks D made the other team look like a college program are some of my favorite memories. The Ravens game this year reminded me of that so much. Bullied, completely different level of physicality, 5 guys flying the ball every. single. play. Free rushers because of stunts or varied gap pressures that had OL standing around confused with. It was so impressive to watch, as angry as I was being on the receiving end. I'm not expecting that week 1, I'm sure there will be learning pains, but just knowing MM has a vision that will be implemented at some point soon is incredibly exciting. Spoon is going to be an absolute superstar in this system.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
What I meant was, are people expecting a SB the first year? Are people expecting a play off run? What is the expectation?

LTH

It's going to be a process getting everything in place. Not sure what the record will be, but i'm not expecting playoffs next season.

Parallax

Reaction score
I don't care about the record. I want to see players with bloated salaries cut. No more idiotic trades for ten game rentals. No more idiotic trades, period, John! Effort on defense. Significantly improved tackling. Guys grappling to learn a new system. It's alright if they struggle at first. Creative defensive play calls. Hopefully an OC who can do likewise on offense. I see zero reason to keep Geno behind center but I won't freak if they do it for one more season. But no more settling for mediocrity just to keep the party rolling along. I want to see the whole team -- front office, coaches and players -- going for it and if we crash and burn, at least it will have been an entertaining season. In real terms, that means give younger guys with higher ceilings a chance to succeed or fail. Keep a couple of low priced veterans around for clubhouse leadership on minimum contracts, but no more overpaying guys who really don't have it anymore. If KJ and Sherm don't like it, oh well.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
We've got so many holes on both sides of the ball to expect a deep playoff run anytime soon.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The defense has to improve. The record is dependent on what they plan to do at QB. If they keep Geno, I expect them to be a playoff team. If they move on and go younger, I'll have more tempered expectations.
If they do make the playoffs year one, which I seriously doubt, they'll probably get bounced in the WC round. This process is going to take 2-3 years at best. JS has cap and personnel issues to sort out. It's gonna take some drafts and free agency to get the players MM is looking or for his system and that takes time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They could make the post season, but how are people expecting it? Yes, the defense will be improved, but the offense will have another OC and scheme to learn. A regression will probably follow on that side of the ball.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
First 2 years: Get out from under dead $ & back to healthy cap #'s. Team building.

Next 4 years: Compete for another Super Bowl win & a second huge parade in Seattle.
You may be right with this timeframe. I hope it's a year or two sooner but it may take 6 years bring home another Lombardi.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Playoff, or failure.

With a sorry ass defense, we were one game off from making the playoff. With a young defense 'wizkid', we have reason to expect improvements on defense, that should translate to at least ONE extra win.
People need to stop calling him a wizkid.

Here is a good JD to look at:

https://jobs.careers.microsoft.com/global/en/share/1675272/?utm_source=Job Share&utm_campaign=Copy-job-share

People dont need to be 50 or 60 to coach in the NFL folks. Go look at Macdonald's resume, and stop be ageist scummers toward a man that has every right to be where he is.

Parallax

Reaction score
You may be right with this timeframe. I hope it's a year or two sooner but it may take 6 years bring home another Lombardi.
We might go 25 or 50 years before winning another Lombardi. With 32 NFL teams, 6 years would be a rousing success.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Half the idiots here are the bandwagon fans who came on or grew up during the legion of boom and have no grasp on reality.

I grew up with a shit sandwich breaded with artisans touch from Holmgren/carroll and I still accept reality, a lot of you are in for a reality check
I don't know why but I actually lol'd.

"Artisans touch"?

NoGain

Reaction score
Elvis in Blue pretty much nailed it. MacDonald/JS are going to need a few off seasons to adjust the roster to fit the character of the HC, and that means dealing with the CAP, cutting the deadweight, getting his kind of guys in place, getting our potential QBOTF, and building up a new culture on the team where players have fully "bought in" to what's taking place.

This will take some time. I will just look for some bright moments next year that portend for exciting and relevant days ahead, some unexpected suprises, and just a general overall feeling that we're on the right track. I'll be hoping that we're true contenders again in 2026, with some realistic optimism that we're truly and increasingly moving in this direction the next two seasons.