What a concept, have the OL double team block

LolaRox

Reaction score
seabowl":985lsy48 said:
Seafan":985lsy48 said:
Pete specifically said they did nothing different, the line simply executed better and obviously Rawls was seeing and moving to the open spaces better.

My best Donald Trump voice:

Wrong

:lol: :lol:

I do believe Pete was just playing the 'coach game' that coaches play with the media. Answer their questions, but not really.

Foghawk

Reaction score
sutz":1ey8v7yt said:
HoustonHawk82":1ey8v7yt said:
Coach Speak:
"We didn't do anything different, we just played well".

Translation:
"Anyone here who thinks they saw something new last night, blame it on the martinis. There is nothing new to focus on here".
Exactly! :laugh: :rofl: :biggthumpup:

After listening to Pete for years now, like with most folks, it's not what he says but how he says it. The way he answered the question was his classic "nothing to see her" tone. :327321_Spy_23.22:

Was nice to see the OL be "fairly dominate" after a few weeks of being dominated. :2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3gv0rr2j said:
Coach Speak:
"We didn't do anything different, we just played well".

Translation:
"Anyone here who thinks they saw something new last night, blame it on the martinis. There is nothing new to focus on here".
Oh and, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain :lol:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Basically every team, including the Hawks, will start by doubling at least the 1 or NT before one of the two OL peels off to the second level to try and get a LB. It isn't easy and you have to be quick about it, but the idea is to create movement with the guys who are supposed to be immovable before peeling off. You see this with the 3 tech or even 4 sometimes if a given team is running in that direction.

This is really, really common for the Hawks and every other team.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There was a FG article about how they changed things that even notes how Pete said they didn't do anything different.

I reviewed this more in detail that just these highlights, but even in these highlights.....there's really nothing that was different.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... highlights

I honestly think the biggest difference was that we actually set out to do it. Unlike the rest of the season where we passed an extremely atypical 60% of the time on average. We became a passing team in ideology and in that, also became extremely inconsistent.

Polk738

Reaction score
You're asinine if you don't think they changed something, how is it that we couldn't do anything against the 49ers who's defense is just as bad or if not worse than Detroit's yet they couldn't open holes to save their lives, Rawls just didn't magically decide to play better yesterday-the field gulls article blatantly points it out.

chris98251

Reaction score
That was power run we seen last night not ZBS, designated holes for Rawls to run thru not pick your gap. You can't believe what you read and hear, believe what you see.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Look at it. You say believe your eyes, but you aren't. OL are firing off at an angle with the TE blocking back against the grain. You see that all the way back to when Zach Miller was the TE doing that with Lynch cutting back off of it.

YOU look. Believing what you read doesn't even apply here. You have a couple of media guys saying that they changed something, including one guy on FG, and you have the HC saying they didn't.

If you've been paying attention, you see the same blocking schemes all the way back to this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... ard-TD-run

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1a6tyscy said:
Look at it. You say believe your eyes, but you aren't. OL are firing off at an angle with the TE blocking back against the grain. You see that all the way back to when Zach Miller was the TE doing that with Lynch cutting back off of it.

YOU look. Believing what you read doesn't even apply here. You have a couple of media guys saying that they changed something, including one guy on FG, and you have the HC saying they didn't.

If you've been paying attention, you see the same blocking schemes all the way back to this:

Don't know what your seeing that was a ZBS run with Lynch, what I saw was tandem blocking into the second level against the Lions. Power scheme, power run not cut blocks. not cross blocks.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Are you confusing seeing more FB in a formation with that NOT being a ZBS scheme?

I'll definitely say that's more 2013, which I REALLY like. Go check out ESPN formation stats and you'll see that we were in I Form (Mike Rob) a lot more then. Since 2014 we've gone to a lot more 3 WR sets, being more and more enamored with some wanna be high octane passing attack each year.

If you want to say something changed, it would be formation, but not ZBS. And I'm a big fan of that. The challenge for Bevell going forward will be to have good mixture within said formations and not tipping our hand by showing tendencies in a given formation.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":1vg8a2zq said:
vin.couve12":1vg8a2zq said:

Don't know what your seeing that was a ZBS run with Lynch, what I saw was tandem blocking into the second level against the Lions. Power scheme, power run not cut blocks. not cross blocks.

ZBS is blocking at an angle and trying to create movement in that fashion vs the old school type of block that's strait up trying to push someone back. When you track that TE back across the grain you attempt to give yourself huge holes on the backside. I'm not sure what you think ZBS is, but that's it. They are blocking at an angle and not strait up.

EDIT: I mean, just look at the replay of that one. How can you NOT see the OL firing off at nearly a 45 degree angle. You can't tell from the sideline view much, but on the replay behind C it's plain as day.

Latest posts