Wagner claims FO didn't tell him he was being released first

acctingman

Reaction score
No one should be shocked by this. This is how (most) businesses are run these days. You are only useful until you're not. Big business doesn't give 2 $hits about its employees.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This to me I feel will be smoothed over very easily, and suggests a rapidly evolving set of proposals JS is considering.

They kept it silent, shrewd, Bobby is a big boy, he'll get over it, he'll be appropriately honored.

This comes on the heals of course of seeing his mentor get canned by the same organization.

A lot of athletes are extremely loyal as well, just like everyone else.

John63

Reaction score
acctingman":2n8qvxmk said:
No one should be shocked by this. This is how (most) businesses are run these days. You are only useful until you're not. Big business doesn't give 2 $hits about its employees.

Might be true, but that has no bearing on the fact they did not even bother to tell him.

Rat

Reaction score
I think there needs to be more details here. I'm guessing he didn't just find out though twitter.

Regardless, getting cut shouldn't have been a surprise, given the cap hit in the final year of the contract he negotiated himself.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Ever since Carroll passed on Taylor Mays and took Earl Thomas, i knew the guy was a two faced snake.

How you could avoid telling a player that everyone in the city knew was going to be let go on a bloated contract and a lack of recent production at the end of the season is cowardly. To not even tell him the obvious, I just can't even with this squad right now. Carroll and Schneider make Bellicheck look like a Saint

Fade

Reaction score
Sell the team Jodi, you suck!

This organization has gone massively down hill since Paul died.

Your perennial All-Pro, future HoF LBer, deserves to be told in person by /Pete/JS that they love him, but the org is going in a new direction and they just can't afford to keep him.

WTF, this is not hard!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
keasley45":1s0rsk6v said:
Hopefully it's a case of an unfortunate leak that got to him before they could.

Poor form, for sure.

There's an assumption that either Pete, John OR BOTH maybe being calloused, when it's entirely possible that MAYBE someone who disagreed with the RW trade, taking it upon themself to throw some $#it in the fan.
Whatever the case, I just don't see either of these guys purposely punking Bobby like that.
IF they were trying to be chicken-chit with him, wouldn't they hang onto him til the very last day, and then spring it on him AFTER teams were near done filling their rosters?
With this early release (which I see as a pretty good thing for Bobby) he is going to get snapped up by a team that needs Pro Bowl Calibur LB and it's likely going to happen pretty damned quick.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Well, if this is true - it sucks.

Yayaya - i get the TMZ world. And I get BW should have 'known' -

But, ya know, there's ways to do things, and there's ways to NOT do things.

This is in the NOT camp.

The wolf: "Just because you are a character, does not mean that you have character."

If it's real - it's kinda reprehensible. I've fired people before. I've fired very difficult people before. I've never fired someone that served like that in absentia. That's just assinine.

I don't care what 'business' you're in. Lead people, important staff, and people who have bled for you deserve respect.

misfit

Reaction score
Theres a very clear pattern forming.

First sherm, now bobby. This team is going down and quickly. And now they are treating their legends like this.

Sad times.

rcaido

Reaction score
I agree...Sherman, Earl, Wright, Wilson, & now Wagner...These guys are legends and seem like they left in bad terms w/ the FO. i always thought the FO has so much class, now im not sure exactly how im feeling as a Seahawk fan. I get the rebuild but i think it would better if they fired everyone too. Just a whole new identity and fresh start. Jody sells to locals. New era of Seahawks football.

Hyak

Reaction score
This could end up being semantics. Clearly trading Wilson changed the entire "plan". Wagner was at best going to take a massive pay cut in order to stay so this hardly was a shock.

They absolutely should have been the first ones to tell Wagner but LOL if it was Russ or his agent telling Wagner before the Seahawks had a chance to get to him.

I have to believe by the time Schefter reported it Wagner had been told. Likewise, I certainly can see a veteran on his last segment of career using the slight, how egregious or not, to fuel him in finding his next team.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Jerhawk":xs24myv8 said:
Ever since Carroll passed on Taylor Mays and took Earl Thomas, i knew the guy was a two faced snake.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Taylor Mays was a phenomenal athlete and an average safety. Earl Thomas was a HOF safety. There is no comparison between the two, and no football man in their right mind would take Mays over Thomas.

Who cares if Mays played for him in college, and that he was from the PNW? Pete made the right decision, history backs that up, and even up at the time, most analysts were praising Pete for NOT taking Mays, just because they were together at USC.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I doubt they just cut him out of the blue. Given that Wagner is acting as his own agent, my bet is that they floated an earlier discussion about reworking his deal and he told them he wasn't open to renegotiating it. I don't fault him for taking a shot at them on his way out, but it just isn't good business to act as your own agent, lawyer or doctor.

Largent.4.Prez

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Bobby is offended. Give Pete a break as he just simply forgot to tell him. Afterall this is the same guy that couldn't remember where he put his challenge flag against the Packers last season. Luv Coach but it's time for him to retire.

V0iaaf

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
benlurkin":e1mdssib said:
I'm not sure why Bobby is offended. Give Pete a break as he just simply forgot to tell him. Afterall this is the same guy that couldn't remember where he put his challenge flag against the Packers last season. Luv Coach but it's time for him to retire.

V0iaaf

I can imagine there just might be a greater chance of that than the classless douchebag explanation, but in the end it doesn't change anything.

Largent.4.Prez

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2yked93w said:
benlurkin":2yked93w said:

V0iaaf

I can imagine there just might be a greater chance of that than the classless douchebag explanation, but in the end it doesn't change anything.

Old and forgetful is scarier than classless douchebag in my book. :shock:

pugs1

Reaction score
Does anyone really think they wanted this news out the same day they traded Russ? It leaked but unfortunately this is the world we live in with Twitter. Also as others have mentioned Bobby representing himself doesn’t help in this type of situation.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":9tvbkq93 said:
Sell the team Jodi, you suck!

This organization has gone massively down hill since Paul died.

Your perennial All-Pro, future HoF LBer, deserves to be told in person by /Pete/JS that they love him, but the org is going in a new direction and they just can't afford to keep him.

WTF, this is not hard!

Jody*

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
mistaowen":a5piiddb said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bwagz/status/1502353080033034243[/tweet]

If guys like Russ and Bobby are now speaking out against the FO, on top of basically the entire former defense, can't say this is a good look for the organization.

Certainly could be emotions involved in a cold business but Bobby was the last guy I'd imagine being upset with them.
I’m thinking there is more to this story than just this.

Wagner being released was probably leaked by someone before PC or JS could tell him.

There is always three sides to every story.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
I call BS. The Hawks did call him even though they really don’t owe him anything. Stop crying Bobby move on