Unreal stats

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ms finished 3rd in ERA, the Diamondbacks who made the playoffs are 20th in ERA just beat Milwaukee who was 1st in ERA to advance to the ALDS.

In runs scored, average, OBP etc the Ms and ARZ are about the same. The one glaring difference? Diamondbacks struck out 350 times less than the Ms.

Unreal

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And remember everyone, this Management is content winning 54 percent of their games over the next decade. And they are "doing us a favor" by putting a competitive team on the field. And the fans "need to be patient"
Thanks for proving our point to us, Dipsh**poto.

Content with Average
Content with Leftovers
and all about "fun promotions" and making a LOT of Coin. Making money is THE priority with this ownership and management, and at this point, they're not even trying to hide it. Turns out the Deb's were quite accurate.

Welshers2

Reaction score
And remember everyone, this Management is content winning 54 percent of their games over the next decade. And they are "doing us a favor" by putting a competitive team on the field. And the fans "need to be patient"
Thanks for proving our point to us, Dipsh**poto.

Content with Average
Content with Leftovers
and all about "fun promotions" and making a LOT of Coin. Making money is THE priority with this ownership and management, and at this point, they're not even trying to hide it. Turns out the Deb's were quite accurate.
Soulfish you're starting to sound like me now! So will you stop going to games? I told you this all last week and you flamed me!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not gonna' lie, for the first time in my life, I'm debating on it. If they're not going to spend money to win, maybe it's time I stop spending money to watch the same sh** year after year. I'm sure my mind will change later, but right now, my blood is boiling.
I can spend my $ on the Hawks and Kraken, two organizations that make winning a PRIORITY.
I'm real close to being DONE. Dip***poto just put me over the top.

Steve Hawk

Reaction score
Because 45 years without a World Series appearance is not patient enough. Shit or get off the pot Jerry!

acctingman

Reaction score
Thing is....Seattle is full of soccer moms and latte drinking pansies. I bet the M's make bank next year.

A big part of the problem here is the fan base allowing this cheap loser mentality to be acceptable

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Who is accepting Mediocre? NOBODY here is. Mediocre isn't good enough, never has been and it never will be.
The fanbase isn't "allowing" anything. He needs to be fired and the team need to be sold. Sold to Management and Ownership THAT ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT WINNING THE WORLD SERIES.

Until I see it, all I hear is a bunch of crap.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A good friend of mine met with Mariner management years ago (maybe 12-15?) they told him to his face they didn't WANT to go to the playoffs too often. It made their players more visible and made them more expensive in arbitration.
He ran a data/analytics company then.
They asked him to put together numbers to show how often they could miss the playoffs and still keep fan interest.
Specifically, when asked about goals (since he originally go the meeting to share how data could help scouting) he was told that the goal was not to win the World Series or to go to the playoffs, in fact they didn't want to go to the playoffs too often (see above).
Their goal was to be a top 10 in attendance ball club and hit certain #s in merch.
Sounds like they nailed it based on what I've seen so far.

The Mariners rarely go to playoffs. Just squeaked in last year. Still get lots of merch sales. Lots of fan interest.
(Plenty of hope being sold for a team that rarely does anything)

BTW The Mariners are ranked 10th in MLB attendance....just like the Mariners wanted back then. 1 playoff run in 21 years, and people still buy tickets and hats. The Ms must be thrilled to see their projections worked out so well. Amazing.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
What Jerry was saying is that teams that perennially make the playoffs and the world series having a 10 year winning percentage of 54% or better.

HE's not saying he's satisfied with average, if he was, we wouldn't have Julio, The Rock, Jared Kelenic, Ty France an All Star last year, that struggled this year, JP Crawford, or Cal Raleigh.

Listening to him over the summer, it's become clear that they've tried to sign some big bats, but those bats didn't want to come to Seattle. Some because T-Mobile is not a good ball park to pad their stats in, and some because they want to go to a team in the PNW.

I think DiPoto is damn good at his job, and one of the most honest and transparent in his interviews. During the season, he shares a lot of information about their approach that other front offices won't.

But at the end of a season, when emotions are running high, his honesty and transparency don't play well with the public. He needs to realize that he's talking to millions of people, with millions of different opinions, and that there is an endless variance in the understanding of how sports operate in general, or how baseball teams, in particular operate.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. They NEVER have gone the extra mile to get over the top.
Telling people to be patient is a joke.
Saying that they did fans a "favor" is a complete joke.
They get leftovers and formerly good players, all the time. Then try to tell us how "this year will be different"
No, it won't. It's the same sh** every....single...season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ms finished 3rd in ERA, the Diamondbacks who made the playoffs are 20th in ERA just beat Milwaukee who was 1st in ERA to advance to the ALDS.

In runs scored, average, OBP etc the Ms and ARZ are about the same. The one glaring difference? Diamondbacks struck out 350 times less than the Ms.

Unreal
Massive amounts of strikeouts will devastate an offense.
M’s have a massive strikeout problem.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What Jerry was saying is that teams that perennially make the playoffs and the world series having a 10 year winning percentage of 54% or better.

HE's not saying he's satisfied with average, if he was, we wouldn't have Julio, The Rock, Jared Kelenic, Ty France an All Star last year, that struggled this year, JP Crawford, or Cal Raleigh.

Listening to him over the summer, it's become clear that they've tried to sign some big bats, but those bats didn't want to come to Seattle. Some because T-Mobile is not a good ball park to pad their stats in, and some because they want to go to a team in the PNW.

I think DiPoto is damn good at his job, and one of the most honest and transparent in his interviews. During the season, he shares a lot of information about their approach that other front offices won't.

But at the end of a season, when emotions are running high, his honesty and transparency don't play well with the public. He needs to realize that he's talking to millions of people, with millions of different opinions, and that there is an endless variance in the understanding of how sports operate in general, or how baseball teams, in particular operate.
Lots in your post I will have to respectfully disagree with.
Jerry and Stanton said 3 years out from the 2022-2023 offseason that they would have the big $$$ available and would spend on top tier free agents. Then when the time came to spend they ended up dumpster diving with Wong, Polluck, and LaStella.

They flat out lied to the fanbase.

Then Jerry insults his “customer base”, the one paying the bills.
That’s not only “out of touch” it’s a really stupid and brain dead business move.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Here is the Mariner playbook with FAs:

1 - leak a list of potential FA targets slowly (usually 7-9)
2 - 3-5 names need to be Tier 1 stars that are top FA targets in the league
3 - 2-3 need to be great players, almost all stars, maybe one or two tiers down
4 - sprinkle in 2 other names that are more utility players or nonames
5 - feed the fires of excitement and let the fans/sport shows debate moves Ms might make.
6 - sign either utility players (or sometimes someone with literally the same last name in the Tier 1 or Tier 2 lists)

I honestly think that the Ms believe that by lumping the utility/noname players in with the bigger names, the fan base will somehow believe those names belong in the same list. Like 'almost' as good as X.

They do this enough, it likely won't change.

Last edited:

Chapow

Reaction score

Unreal

If we're comparing the Diamondbacks season to the Mariners season, it's probably worth mentioning that the Mariners had a better record than the Diamondbacks.

Mariners - 88-74
Diamondbacks - 84-78

Fortunately for the D'backs, 84 wins gets you into the playoffs in the NL.
Unfortunately for the M's, 88 wins was 1 game short in the AL.

Also, the Twins had 50 more K's than the M's and they just swept the Blue Jays to advance to the ALDS.

And yes, they strike out too much. The 2 biggest reasons the M's have so many strikeouts is because of Teo and Geno. Those 2 guys had 425 K's between just the 2 of them. The thing is, both of them are experienced veteran players that have always had very high K rates since long before they played for the M's. It's very unlikely that's going to change at this point in their careers. So you either take the good with bad, because they do drive in a lot of runs, or you should probably get different players. Funny thing is, if you look at the list of guys that were top 25 in MLB in K's this season, there are a lot of very productive players on that list.

Anyway, whatever. I get nobody wants to hear any of that right now. What I meant to say was, GRRRR I'M SO MAD GRRRR.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Was it the strikeouts or not hitting well w/ runners in scoring position?

Weren't they terrible at RISP even during their hot streak?

Chapow

Reaction score
Was it the strikeouts or not hitting well w/ runners in scoring position?

Weren't they terrible at RISP even during their hot streak?

Terrible? No. They were slightly below average. The Reds and the Pirates are tied at 14th, hitting .255 with risp. The M's are tied for 20th, with the D'backs and the Cards, hitting .247 with risp. As you can see, not much difference between 14th and 20th.

However, the M's led the league in strikeouts with risp. Again, in large part due Teo and Geno. But also again, Teo and Geno drove in an awful lot of runs (93 for Teo, 96 for Geno). 🤷‍♂️