I have a theory, need help from advanced stats geeks

renofox

Reaction score
I think the coaches are intentionally not using a few things that this team is really good at, and that this team is even better than what we're all seeing.

ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE

It seems like the Seahawks are hardly ever using play action but it is HIGHLY successful when used. In the game day subforum their is a thread about this and I believe that weren't using it all until the Cards took the lead in the 3rd qtr. After that, they used it 3-4 times and all attempts were great successes, including Fant's long run.

STATS GEEKS: What was Seahawks play action % usage and success rate in 2021, 1st 5 games 2022, games 6-9 2022?

ON THE DEFENSIVE SIDE

One of the reasons for shifting towards more 3-4 style fronts was to help introduce more creative blitz packages.

I can't find the articles I read stating that, in games 6-9 (after the DL technique/alignment had been tweaked), the Seahawks were near the bottom in blitzing while at the same time near the top in sacks, hits, and pressures. I'm pretty sure one article even stated we had more sacks than blitzes in one or more of those games.

STATS GEEKS: For games 6-9, what is the Seahawks blitz rate and where does that rank compared to NFL and Seahawks norms? Where do the Seahawks rank, games 6-9 in sack/hit/pressure rates?

If anybody who knows where to find this, and could take a few minutes to post it I'd be very thankful.

If not, I'll just go by what my eyes and my limited knowledge tell me.

I think this team is even better than what we're seeing, and that PC is sandbagging and holding things in reserve for tougher games and the playoffs.

Whod'a Thunk?

massari

Reaction score
Russell Wilson and Fade still living rent free

toffee

Reaction score
:p this year's motto, for sure. coined by pete carroll, no less.

View attachment 55619

it really takes an insufferable, desperate, ignorant... and fragile narcissist to hate or diminish pete carroll or what he's accomplished here.
I would like to think that Pete has been highly motivated by the broke up with Wilson. You would too if you designed the system that made someone great ... only to be punched in the guts by the beneficiary. The broke up with Wilson gave Pete a new injection of youth and energy, he didn't have deal with a QB that wouldn't even do something as simply as wearing a wristband.

Last edited:

Polk738

Reaction score
It seems like the Seahawks are hardly ever using play action but it is HIGHLY successful when used. In the game day subforum their is a thread about this and I believe that weren't using it all until the Cards took the lead in the 3rd qtr. After that, they used it 3-4 times and all attempts were great successes, including Fant's long run.

I think this could be one of the biggest differences between Russ and Geno, Russ seems to be all about the explosive play and would really run the play action game into the ground until most teams eventually started to catch on and start playing more 2 high safety looks. Geno on the other hand will run the play how it's supposed to be run, if the read is there he will take it, even if his second or third read is better, he doesn't really care about the big flashy play-he plays to get the first down and move the chains-this is why the team is the 4th best offense in the league right now compared to how shitty this team used to be on 3rd down conversions with Russ.