Trading down. How would you play it?

u0087966

Reaction score
The offense was a little better than mediocre while the defense sucked farts.

QBs could be selected at 1,2,4, if a team at 7,8 or 9 trades up with Chicago. If this happens, the Hawks will have the opportunity to get Carter or Anderson and should select the one they can get (the Cardinals will take either Carter or Anderson at 3). If three QBs are not selected in the first four picks....the Hawks could trade back a few spots, possibly get a first round pick this year and the following year (if they like Wilson or Murphy). The Raiders, Panthers, and Falcons would be trade partners. If TB, at 19, threw in a bunch more draft capital (first round pick this year, second round pick this year, first round pick next year), I would consider trading with them as long as Brady was gone. A rookie QB in Tampa would just about assure a top 5 selection next year and there are a bunch of good QBs coming out next year.

Twenty should be another selection on defense...if the Hawks got Carter at 5, they could get a stud DE like BJ Ojulari from LSU or Felix from K-State. If they took an Edge rusher with 5 (or they traded back), the Hawks could get a stud CB (Witherspoon. Porter, Gonzalez, Ringo, Smith) or get a LB (like Trenton Simpson).

Gervon Dexter or Mazi Smith should be around in the second round.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Too much depends on what Geno does and the obvious, who is available at 5. If it’s Carter or Anderson, we’re picking.

The only teams I could see trading with us are those who are extremely QB desperate and are willing to take a shot at a guy like Levis or Richardson (a la 49ers and Lance).

Philly? Not a chance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't think they are satisfied with Mariotta. His numbers were very pedestrian. I don't think very highly of Desmond Ridder. The Falcons may very well see him as their QB of the future, but I would be amazed if they are correct.

Edit to add, the Saints do not have the ammo to move up in the draft. The Bucs would have to package quite a bit to get me to move down to nineteen.
I like Ridder and wanted the Hawks to pick him last year. He won the job in Atlanta and went 2-2 in his starts, including winning the final 2 games, and beating Tom Brady.
Not sure why you are down on Ridder; he has the physical tools, and I believe, the work ethic, desire, and leadership to be a very good NFL QB, along with the confidence of his coaching staff. Without starting a new thread, briefly why does Ridder suck?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Betting on the bears to shift out of drafting best position available...specially defense is a lost try. They will take best they can get.

BASF

Reaction score
I like Ridder and wanted the Hawks to pick him last year. He won the job in Atlanta and went 2-2 in his starts, including winning the final 2 games, and beating Tom Brady.
Not sure why you are down on Ridder; he has the physical tools, and I believe, the work ethic, desire, and leadership to be a very good NFL QB, along with the confidence of his coaching staff. Without starting a new thread, briefly why does Ridder suck?
Suck is way too strong a word. I believe he will be a middling at best QB, and never break say the top ten. He will be a lot like Derek Carr in that he can win you several games, but not enough to make the playoffs consistently. I admit I didn't watch his starts with the Falcons. They may have cleaned up his processing time, throwing motion, and deep ball. Have they?

CPHawk

Reaction score
You can’t trust JS to make a good pick in the mid to late 20s. Stay put at 5, where he can’t screw it up to much trying to be the smartest man in the nfl and picking some player to early.

I have a feeling some GMs will fall in love with the QB from UF or UK, and try to trade up to get them. Meaning 3 QBs will go in the top 4. So either Carter, Anderson, and Murphy will be available at the 5 pick. Personally if it’s Carter or Murphy, I go Murphy. But Anderson is the pick I really want, but I’m guessing he gets taken before our pick.

Last edited:

Frozenropers

Reaction score
For me, I think the Hawks should target, Levis, Stroud or Richardson with that first pick. There should be solid DT help in the 20-60 range (Ika, Mazi Smith, B.Young, Benton). If all three QB’s are off the board I consider Carter and then look to take a developmental QB later. If all four are off the board I look to trade down and focus on acquiring picks in that 20-60 range. There appears to be good value there for D-Line, LBer and Safety. Also, draft a center and IOL depth.

BASF

Reaction score
For me, I think the Hawks should target, Levis, Stroud or Richardson with that first pick. There should be solid DT help in the 20-60 range (Ika, Mazi Smith, B.Young, Benton). If all three QB’s are off the board I consider Carter and then look to take a developmental QB later. If all four are off the board I look to trade down and focus on acquiring picks in that 20-60 range. There appears to be good value there for D-Line, LBer and Safety. Also, draft a center and IOL depth.
In this scenario, I would strongly consider taking Will Anderson. You can not replace Bruce Irvin with anyone better. I really like Mafe and think he will be a great outside linebacker, but Anderson would upgrade that spot. Being able to rotate our edges with Anderson/Mafe and Nwosu/Taylor would keep our outside pressure fresh all game long and would terrorize offenses for years to come.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
In this scenario, I would strongly consider taking Will Anderson. You can not replace Bruce Irvin with anyone better. I really like Mafe and think he will be a great outside linebacker, but Anderson would upgrade that spot. Being able to rotate our edges with Anderson/Mafe and Nwosu/Taylor would keep our outside pressure fresh all game long and would terrorize offenses for years to come.
I would not be totally opposed to Anderson, but see it as a lesser need and value Due to the younger talent we have at that outside rush position. I actually feel better about the outside of the defense (OLB and CB’s) than I do about its core (up the middle).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Someone above said if Carter is gone just take the best D-tackle at 5 and I would hate that. You have to take someone you think is a difference maker at 5 and can’t draft solely for need there. John won’t I don’t think but if that’s the plan they will trade down

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Trade back if Carter is off the board but he might go 1 overall. 2 or 3 quarterbacks will go before us leaving Bresee and Tyree Wilson or Simpson available to fill an immediate need. Schneider could work his magic and reap another first if things go as anticipated. I’d hate to trade up just to get Carter though. I think he’s good but is he Aaron Donald good? No he isn’t

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
A lot depends on what we can get for the No 5 pick. I thinks #u0087966 's trades are very optimistic, according the this Trade Value chart. If we trade down from 5 to 7 all we will get is a 3rd rounder, and trading from 7 to 14 is worth only a little more. In 2021 Miami went down from 3rd to 12th (a bigger drop in draft capital) and received a 3rd rounder and two future 1st round picks, I cant see us getting two (high) second rounders and 2 future firsts, if we can I would bite their hand off whoever is available.

BASF

Reaction score
A lot depends on what we can get for the No 5 pick. I thinks #u0087966 's trades are very optimistic, according the this Trade Value chart. If we trade down from 5 to 7 all we will get is a 3rd rounder, and trading from 7 to 14 is worth only a little more. In 2021 Miami went down from 3rd to 12th (a bigger drop in draft capital) and received a 3rd rounder and two future 1st round picks, I cant see us getting two (high) second rounders and 2 future firsts, if we can I would bite their hand off whoever is available.
And since this is the most talked about trade on this board, we all know that they were crazy to do so.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
I can't stomach any of the quarterbacks in this draft. If there was a Joe Burrough or Trevor Lawrence sitting there, I would be giddy, but there is no one like that in this group. Sign Drew Lock to a two-year deal instead and forget about quarterbacks for a couple of years. Lock has as good of a chance of panning out as anyone in this QB class.

Carter or trade down for a targeted DT. The team desperately needs the best DT available that is picked at the appropriately projected spot. Heck, if it was up to me, I would take two DTs on day one.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Suck is way too strong a word. I believe he will be a middling at best QB, and never break say the top ten. He will be a lot like Derek Carr in that he can win you several games, but not enough to make the playoffs consistently. I admit I didn't watch his starts with the Falcons. They may have cleaned up his processing time, throwing motion, and deep ball. Have they?
Fair enough. Going by strictly results, NFL-level coaching seems to be helping Ridder. I've only watched the extended game highlights (12-15 minute versions), not full games. I( understand the Falcons named him starter based on performance, not injury, over NFL vet Marcus Mariota. Ridder started 4 games for the Falcons and went 2-2, winning the last 2, and had NO INTs in those 4 starts. Ridder is WAY more mobile than a Derek Carr and is a legit running threat who is just a hair faster than prime Russell Wilson. I've always felt that Ridder has that "It" factor, leadership intangibles, work ethic, that guys want to follow. Would love to hear your thoughts in a new NFL Nation thread if you watch his last couple starts and form an opinion on his progress.

Now, back to the trading down topic... If Jalen Carter is there, certainly the Hawks take him. If not, certainly trade down and maximize the haul of actually GOOD players especially in rounds 1-3. I'm not enamored with Will Levis, but if Pete & John think he's the next Patrick Mahomes, then so be it, take him instead of trading down, or if another team is in love with Levis, get some serious value out of trading down.

I can't see taking Richardson in the 1st round, but hey, the 49ers paid a bunch to trade up and draft Trey Lance, so there's that precedent, but they're 2 years in with very limited return, and Mr. Relevant (Purdy) leading them deep into the playoffs. Don't see Hawks getting any serious value as a real NFL QB from Richardson until the 3rd year, unless they put in some Wildcat type packages, ala Taysom Hill, just to get him on the field sooner and learning.

Fade

Reaction score
Carolina is willing to move up to #5 to take C.J. Stroud who is still on the board.

*EDITED* For a more realistic trade.

They are offering their 1st round picks in 2023 & 24, plus a 2023 2nd rounder.

Would you take it?

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Carolina is willing to move up to #5 to take C.J. Stroud who is still on the board.

*EDITED* For a more realistic trade.

They are offering their 1st round picks in 2023 & 24, plus a 2023 2nd rounder.

Would you take it?
I think you'd have to take that offer .