Trading DK

AgentDib

Reaction score
What if DK ... will not sign any extensions?
Put yourself in DK's shoes. You've made about $2m so far in the NFL and an extension could get you a $25m signing bonus. That's enough money to retire on comfortably even if your career were to be cut short. Your other option is playing this year for $4m, and then potentially getting franchise tagged. An extension is something that you would really want to get done.

massari

Reaction score
From Field Gulls:
Of course, we’re but a few weeks removed from Carroll telling media at the NFL Combine that they had “no intention” of trading Russell Wilson, when in reality a trade had been brewing for some time and ultimately materialized

Mix

Reaction score
It's crazy to me that a WR, that touches the ball 10% of the offensive snaps, should get paid 15% of the teams cap.
Touchdowns win games. DK Scores TD's. You pay him for that reason. Then again maybe people like watching their team lose every week.

DK touches the ball far more often than any guy on Def. Guess Defenders should really be cheap.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I know many people are against trading DK, but with the value that WR's are getting for someone of his caliber, would it not be more sensible to trade for some great picks and/or free agent and fill/back fill several spots on the team? Yes, one position would be weakened (still have Lockett) but could greatly improve other positions. You could even rationalize getting another great WR in the draft, of fairly decent quality without breaking the bank. Just a thought and my 2 cents.

massari

Reaction score
I know many people are against trading DK, but with the value that WR's are getting for someone of his caliber, would it not be more sensible to trade for some great picks and/or free agent and fill/back fill several spots on the team? Yes, one position would be weakened (still have Lockett) but could greatly improve other positions. You could even rationalize getting another great WR in the draft, of fairly decent quality without breaking the bank. Just a thought and my 2 cents.
They have DK under team control for at least the next two seasons (including franchise tag) before his new mega deal, so hopefully they at least wait for a king's ransom to be offered at some point in that time before giving him up.

Chawker

Reaction score
Its sound like the NY Jets are interested in DK, but whats his value ? I'd say that Pete and John are wanting top dollar for him. I'm thinking there #4 pick and a third is their bare minimum for a dominant WR like DK. That would give us two top ten picks.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Uh-oh. The dreaded "no intent" of trading. This means he's on the market. The good news is I could see Philly or Green Bay or the Jets giving us a couple of picks for him.

JPatera76

Reaction score
if its not a pick higher than our current #9 i wouldnt take it

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The mediots were promoting Wilson to be traded and Wagner's release, now they are on the DK wagon to be traded, saying we can't afford him, kind of silly since we have purged most the high dollar contracts. I really think the hate caravan has come back to South Alaska and or Egypt in the Media for us again, love to kick us when they think we are down.
Sorry, maybe I’m misreading, but did you just use 2 examples of the “mediots” being right as a reason to doubt this possibility?

djb28

Reaction score
I don't understand getting picks for something you have. What are you gonna do with two top picks for him? Go get two dud WRs. to replace him? The NFL is stupid.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
I don't understand getting picks for something you have. What are you gonna do with two top picks for him? Go get two dud WRs. to replace him? The NFL is stupid.

Look at it this way.

2022- DK will make less than 1mill
2023- What are the options? Re-sign or Franchise tag?

1. If you re-sign him, will the team commit to pay a #1 WR 22-23 mill per year?
2. If you franchise tag him, what happens if he holds out.
3. If you don't re-sign him the only comp picks that we will be having is a 3rd round, but most likely Seattle would lose all comp picks next season.
4. Sign and trade, not many teams are willing to give up draft picks and Vegas is Vegas, they are dumb.

Ex players that sign and trade that didn't work out.

1. Frank Clark seems like a bust in KC
2. Dee Ford
3. Clowney,

Imo if the team can sign DK to a friendly deal, multi contract of less than 20mill, I think that would be the best. If not

Trade him to the Jets for

#35,#38,#69 pick.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I just get this hopeless feeling if they trade DK that it's like cheering for a small market MLB team or something. I get the cap issues but you also don't win in this league without top end talent. If the philosophy is to trade guys like DK before a costly 2nd contract kicks in, you can't miss on draft picks and free agents. And we haven't seen that in recent years either.

Chawker

Reaction score
I heard that Green bays offering #20, # 94 and a conditional 2023 4th. If DK is still on the roster, then it becomes a 3rd rounder for 2023.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I just get this hopeless feeling if they trade DK that it's like cheering for a small market MLB team or something. I get the cap issues but you also don't win in this league without top end talent. If the philosophy is to trade guys like DK before a costly 2nd contract kicks in, you can't miss on draft picks and free agents. And we haven't seen that in recent years either.

I think the approach here is that we hope that when they get good players they trade them away for "max value". Or like if you can't trade them you hope you get comp picks. And clear cap space.

Then maybe we're rooting for the Jets but at least they don't have a big contract that stresses some fans out.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I think the approach here is that we hope that when they get good players they trade them away for "max value". Or like if you can't trade them you hope you get comp picks. And clear cap space.

Then maybe we're rooting for the Jets but at least they don't have a big contract that stresses some fans out.

Yeah. Frugal sports teams are soooo much fun to watch! yay!

/sarcasm

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Remember when Randy Johnson was 'too expensive'? *

Then he left, won a World Series as one of the most important players on that team (for an expansion team) and we wallowed in mediocrity for years ...but we got some great prospects! One that even turned out good as our new star. Not that it mattered because we won nothing and never really mattered again.

Some Seahawk fans can probably remember that far back, when this whole town was all wearing Mariner gear, and flying Mariner flags, and the Space Needle flew the flag too - this was a baseball town. Until the Mariners stopped mattering and everyone stop caring.

Frugal sports teams become forgotten sports teams.

* The irony being other starting pitchers that were much crappier soon became more expensive than Randy was. You pay what things cost, or you get things that aren't worth paying for.

themunn

Reaction score

From next year our cap space is pretty clear though no? What big contracts do we have left on the team, Lockett, Adams and Diggs are only players on $10m+, and cornerstones of the franchise.

Wilson's $26m dead cap falls away and space will open up. Any extension to DK will backload cap hits until later years of contract - Lockett's $17.5m APY extension has cap hits of $10.5m in year 1 and $16.75m in year 2, likewise DK's $25m contact extension will be lower in years 1 and 2 - at which point Lockett will be 31 and up for contract renewal so that future cap space frees up to take the hits on Metcalf's contract.

Guys like Brooks, Taylor will also start to pick up their 2nd contracts and hopefully with a few hits in the draft we continue to build with a mixture of high paid, All-Pro/Pro Bowl level veteran players being supplemented with young cheap talent - but you need to have that veteran experience in the team, you can't expect we're going to pick up a Metcalf in the draft. We have the opportunity to franchise him if he doens't sign a contract, which will probably cost LESS than he'll command on the open market as APY, so will be in his interest to sign a long-term contract now which pays more in the long run and secures him.

If we franchise him and he doesn't sign a long-term contract, THEN we can look to trade him for picks.

And now that I've re-read your post I realise you're in complete agreement with me....

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Touchdowns win games. DK Scores TD's. You pay him for that reason. Then again maybe people like watching their team lose every week.

DK touches the ball far more often than any guy on Def. Guess Defenders should really be cheap.
We are going to be watching this team lose every week regardless of whether DK is on this team. I can see why they would keep him and I could see why they would trade him given the right compensation.
We are going back to throwing 20 times a game. DK might get 6 targets every game. Is it really worth 25 mill per year for a guy that gets 6 targets a game? Now for a team that runs a modern offense DK's worth is far more. If they are willing to pay that amount (High first plus a second or third) then yeah it makes sense to trade him even as good as he is.