Trading DK

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":1ddb0iwb said:
Can't afford to pay a QB $35M who touches the ball every play. Who distributes the ball to all the targets on the field.

But can afford to pay a WR $25M who is only 1 target, with a worse QB throwing them the ball. And touches the ball 80 times the whole season at best, due to being on a running team. Doesn't make sense to me.

120 Touches or more and making them an intricate part of what you're doing on series by series basis I could see it. Cooper Kupp, who is also a bargain price, makes sense to me. Or Even better someone like Deebo where you can line him up in the backfield and give him a handful of carries as a RB. So even if you suck at QB, he can still touch the ball, definitely.

DK making $25M, lining up outwide at X, and being ignored for large chunks of the game I'm sure will go down real well.

WRs seem to be fairly replaceable these days. 2nd & 3rd rounders are routinely popping. They get drafted and they're making an impact right away. It's not like WR is hard position to find in the draft compared to OL/DL/DB/QB Those positions are hard to find. They should pay those positions, stay rookie contract, and value based at the other positions ie pay them if you can get them at a bargain, make trades for guys that are currently a good value, etc.

Pay the premium dollar for the big guys upfront. Because that's what wins championships, not WRs. QBs pay them, too as they can keep you competitive year in and year out.

Interesting to see how this goes. DK gonna be the new Felix of the Seahawks, huh? "We gotta keep our 1 star."
or what Calvin Johnson was to the Lions, maybe a better comp.

They have to extend him soon right? Or is DK cool playing on rookie wage scale, AKA peanuts, this upcoming season?
I bolded what I'm questioning..Because the QB we had couldn't see or wouldn't use all his targets.
With the right QB DK will pop all over not just deep routes on the side.
I do agree on WR's being good more than ever..I don't agree with paying too much on them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's a simple equation.

If you are going to resign him for 30M per year, you keep him. If you aren't, then you jettison him before the draft.

His value will not be higher than it is today. Next year his value should plummet given our QB state. And he'll be a one year rental so keeping him in 2022 will cost us a first round pick worth of return. Most likely more. If we want to trade him in 2023, we are incredibly unlikely to get a 1st in return.

In essence, we are trading a first round pick for one year (almost assuredly his worst season) of his services. Unless we resign him at market value. Then the discussion is academic.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you are going to resign him for 30M per year, you keep him. If you aren't, then you jettison him before the draft.
30m per year on the open market sounds like a stretch, but let's go with that for the sake of argument. Look at how the actual payments would affect DK and why he'd be willing to accept a smaller extension than that.

DK is due $4m in base salary in 2022. We could franchise him in 2023 for ~$24m and then let's say in 2024 he walks and signs a mega-deal structured similar to what Devante Adams just got but with your higher $30m/year price tag instead.

The payments to DK under this scenario A would look something like this:
2022: $4m
2023: $24m
2024: $26m (22m signing + 4m base)
2025: $26m (20m roster bonus + 6m base)
2026: $24m (base)
2027: $36m (base)
2028: $38m (base)
He'd be making a total of $178m over the next seven years, but it's important to recognize the time value of money. With a 10% discount rate that would be a net present value (NPV) of $115m in 2022 dollars, and a NPV of $75m for the next five seasons.

Now let's look at the other scenario, where we give him a generous but not record breaking extension (say, 80% of what Adams just got).

Under that scenario which I'll call Option B, the payments would look like this:
2022: 19m (16m signing + 3m base)
2023: 21m (16m roster + 5m base)
2024: 14m (base)
2025: 28m (base)
2026: 28m (base)
This is $110m over five years, which is worth $82m in 2022 dollars. That's a gain of $7m over option A. There's also less risk involved because he's getting the contract right now instead of playing two years with potential risk of injury. He'd also be hitting his next big contract two years younger at the age of 29 rather than 31, which significantly increases the chance of another big payday.

In fact, you could reduce the extension even a bit further for those other reasons and still have a deal that would be preferrable to DK than playing another year on a rookie deal and then risking the franchise tag.

Which is all a long winded way of saying that one of the main perks of drafting a talented player is not just getting them under the cheap rookie deal, but also being able to work out an extension with them that is favorable to both sides. That advantage disappears by the end of the first extension, which is why smart teams are careful about how many third contracts they hand out.

Unless negotiations are going poorly behind the scenes with the agent, which is always possible, we should expect to be able to sign any great players that we draft to a reasonable first extension.

Fade

Reaction score
Tyreke Hill just went for a nice haul. WRs grow on trees in comparison to other positions. Paying WRs is nearly like paying RBs at this point. As so many WRs are being drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and are making immediate impact. Paying Lockett + DK = 25% of your salary cap, to not throw them the ball. Maybe trade Lockett instead, but that won't get the same value AND they would have to eat a ton of dead money.

Trading DK is the right decision if you remove sentimentality.

chris98251

Reaction score
If DK breaks out with 10 plus TD's and 1200 yards it will be 35 a year by seasons end. Next position to want to get paid has to be either CB's or DE's now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With the Chiefs having just traded Tyreek Hill to MIA, I could see them trading for DK to backfill Hill.

If we could get KC's 1st rounder they got from MIA (#29) and KC's 3rd rounder (#94), I'd pull the trigger.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
DK is the easiest re-sign candidate on the team. KC is crazy to let him go, he and Kelce make Mahomes.

rcaido

Reaction score
Trade him to the Jets. Get our first round back and a 2nd.

Unless we have a qb, trade him now before we pay a wr 30-35 million

Jville

Reaction score
A couple of notes:

* The cap percentage for the entire wide receiver corp is 9.85% of the 2021 base cap. (currently ranks 18th in league)

* The 2022 base cap is projected to increase by approximately $17,000,000 above the 2021 figure.

* The 2022 dead cap cost should be significantly less than the unprecedented $44,584,057 write off for 2021.

The star wide receiver is entering the final year of his rookie contract he signed in 2019 as a second-round draft choice by Seattle. That was after the Seahawks traded with New England back into the bottom of the second round to select Metcalf. “It’s really important to us. We love him, you know,” Carroll said Tuesday on KJR radio. “He’s such a great, competitive kid, and he’s got so much upside. Maybe will go down as one of the great draft picks we ever had here. I thought we were SO fortunate to get him where we got him, the bottom of (round) two. How could that ever have happened?

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article259678685.html#storylink=cpy

James in PA

Reaction score
If we're going to start trading away great young homegrown players before their second contract, we might as well be a farm team for the rest of the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If DK's open to 20-25M per year? I think it's doable to extend him.

But if he and his agent are going to dig in and demand to get Adams/Hill money at 28-30M per year? Then he's probably gone next year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dear God, not another full year of new "rumors"
Just sign the guy to an extension and end the media madness. Sooner than later........

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I'm in the camp of hoping they get an extension done with DK. If they end up trading him now to a team like GB or KC - then I'm convinced PC sold Diggs a lemon of a used car and that they are truly in a rebuild.

Hawknight

Reaction score
With the Chiefs having just traded Tyreek Hill to MIA, I could see them trading for DK to backfill Hill.

If we could get KC's 1st rounder they got from MIA (#29) and KC's 3rd rounder (#94), I'd pull the trigger.

AgentDib

Reaction score
if you don't see how Tyreek and DK's extension talks are apples to oranges then you're missing the fundamental point.

Rookie contracts are extremely cheap and the first extension leverages the last rookie year. That creates a situation where first extensions are a win-win for both team and player.

Hill was playing out his second contract and so there was minimal incentive for him to sign another deal at anything below the market rate. Thus it's not too surprising that the negotiations didn't go well and a trade made sense for KC. Trading picks for a player that they have pay exorbitantly doesn't make a lot of sense for the Dolphins, much like the JA trade hasn't worked out great for us.

On the other hand, DK's extension makes sense for both parties because he has a year left on that extremely cheap rookie deal. He can accept significantly less than market rate and still come out much further ahead than if he were to play out 2022 for a couple million dollars.

John63

Reaction score
I bolded what I'm questioning..Because the QB we had couldn't see or wouldn't use all his targets.
With the right QB DK will pop all over not just deep routes on the side.
I do agree on WR's being good more than ever..I don't agree with paying too much on them.

So in your mind, a Wr who averaged 120 targets a year, 1057 yards, and 10 tds in his first 3 years while playing beside another top wr was not being used by the Qb? a Qb who only avg 491 attempts so this Wr was getting 24% of the passes. To compare Adams only got 28%, HIll of what was KC only 23% I guess those Qbs could not or would not throw those QBs the ball either huh. As to short again 22$ of his passes were short over the middle at the same rate as Mahomes and Bady and better than Rodgers.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If we're going to start trading away great young homegrown players before their second contract, we might as well be a farm team for the rest of the league.
It's crazy to me that a WR, that touches the ball 10% of the offensive snaps, should get paid 15% of the teams cap.

Latest posts