Trading DK

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's crazy to me that a WR, that touches the ball 10% of the offensive snaps, should get paid 15% of the teams cap.
Not all plays are created equal though. If that 10% includes third down plays with high leverage and passes into the endzone then you're talking about the difference between punts vs. first downs, and touchdowns vs. field goals.

We should also be able to extend DK for much less than 15% of our cap. Obviously it takes two to make a deal and if that just isn't going to happen then we need to trade him instead. But this first extension is highly beneficial to both parties and it's the negotiations for a third contract down the road that are more likely to become too expensive.

chris98251

Reaction score
The mediots were promoting Wilson to be traded and Wagner's release, now they are on the DK wagon to be traded, saying we can't afford him, kind of silly since we have purged most the high dollar contracts. I really think the hate caravan has come back to South Alaska and or Egypt in the Media for us again, love to kick us when they think we are down.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So in your mind, a Wr who averaged 120 targets a year, 1057 yards, and 10 tds in his first 3 years while playing beside another top wr was not being used by the Qb? a Qb who only avg 491 attempts so this Wr was getting 24% of the passes. To compare Adams only got 28%, HIll of what was KC only 23% I guess those Qbs could not or would not throw those QBs the ball either huh. As to short again 22$ of his passes were short over the middle at the same rate as Mahomes and Bady and better than Rodgers.
Russ favored Tyler clearly and DK was not eating even when open..Why are you defending?
I saw your new Bronco forum account..Congrats! The seats already cooking🧑‍🍳

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
In late on this - but;

he turned down a trade.

said in the press it was time for him to be 'a leader'

both encouraging signs.

if he can actually grow up instead of the 4-way-chicks and the camera grabbing tantrums - it should be a great season for him!

I hope he shuts up and leads.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
In late on this - but;

he turned down a trade.

said in the press it was time for him to be 'a leader'

both encouraging signs.

if he can actually grow up instead of the 4-way-chicks and the camera grabbing tantrums - it should be a great season for him!

I hope he shuts up and leads.
DK doesn't have the authority to turn down a trade. He doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He might have said he doesn't want to be traded.

Jville

Reaction score
Some of the cap related scares found in this thread are misleading. Both the Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams announced contracts are back end loaded. Neither will realize that last one or two years.

Terminating the final year of Tyreek's new contract results in an average annual payout of $22,583,750. The final terminated year should result in a dead cap write off of $5,100,000.

The Davante Adams contract looks to be of shorter effective duration. Terminating the final two years of that back loaded contract results in an average annual payout of $20,010,196. The last two terminated years will result in a required write off of $7,700,000 in dead cap expense.

The above two back end bloated contracts were for players in the latter stages of their career. An ascending player like DK should see a different contract structure.

One other thing. Those of us who have bothered to look already know that the Tyler Locket contract isn't actually tradable. Not that it makes sense to trade such a valued leader. So that trade speculation can be dismissed with a very high degree of confidence.

I'll also re-post this .....

* The cap percentage for the entire wide receiver corp is 9.85% of the 2021 base cap. (currently ranks 18th in league)

* The 2022 base cap is projected to increase by approximately $17,000,000 above the 2021 figure.

* The 2022 dead cap cost should be significantly less than the unprecedented $44,584,057 write off for 2021.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Huge mistake imo.
Tyler Lockett is going to be 30 years old next season with a history of getting banged up. We're a team who's QB depth chart consists of Lock and a bunch of practice squad players such as Eason. Most rookie QB's take 2-3 years to really settle in. By the time we'd theoretically be ready to compete, Lockett would be around 32-33 years old. At that age many players fall off a cliff. It would be wise to sell now and get some value.

In fact, that is the route that we should have gone for players such as Diggs as well. Love the guy, but realistically keeping a bunch of aging veterans doesn't make much sense given the current roster state and lack of a QB. It makes sense to move Tyler Lockett, especially since this draft is deep in receivers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Shopping Lockett is pretty similar to shopping Russ. It doesn't make sense financially for a team that's trying to compete now because we'd be picking up so much of the bill.

If we are truly tanking then every player is on the the table for enough picks because our 2022 cap situation no longer matters. I don't think we're in this mode but I could be surprised.

A team that trades for Lockett gets him for bargain cap hits of 6m, 13m, 20m, 20m with no guaranteed dollars remaining besides this first season.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
I think Tyler's leadership is important for development of younger players. D'Wayne Eskridge needs a lot of route running work and can really benefit from Tyler's experience and assistance. I think that value was included in the calculation for Tyler's recent contract.

Fade

Reaction score
WRs are hard to find in the draft. College football is having a hard time producing them. It would be wise to pay out the nose for this scarce position. /s

Look, there are only about 30 WRs in this upcoming draft that can come in and produce right away. It is the most loaded position in college football that is only getting deeper as the years go by.

Smart teams would pay a premium for the hard to find positions, O-Line, D-Line, QB, and CB, and continue to restock the other positions through the draft.

The Seahawks have continued to blow their draft stock on non premium positions, spend $60M a year on JAGs to maintain "flexibility," doing everything backwards.

I will be shocked if they trade DK at this point. So no need to fret, you'll have your Calvin Johnson Lions team reincarnate in no time!

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I doubt Metcalf gets traded, but in a market where a WR fetches a ton in draft capitol, it worth checking to see what Metcalf would fetch. No need to accept anything that doesn't blow you away.

toffee

Reaction score
What if DK announce that he is exploring opportunities after telling John privately that he will not sign any extensions? What should the Hawks do?

chris98251

Reaction score
What if DK announce that he is exploring opportunities after telling John privately that he will not sign any extensions? What should the Hawks do?
First nothing stays private for long, not with a player that is of DK's personality, the Seahawks will spin it as we look at all offers for all players and what's best for the team. Even the secret top-secret stuff with Wilson was figured out on this board a while back, not admitted to by the front office however.

What I see is a lot of sitting on their hands as players till they see how things look before camp, after that more verbal things will happen if we don't see signings and upgrades. The balance of power has shifted to the AFC and there is a lot of trying to play catch up to a lot of moves right now. Denver, LV, San Diego are all making moves to catch up with KC, KC may not be done either and looking to counter the other three teams.

The rest of the league, well Cleveland and Pittsburgh are now trying to counter Cinncy, that could be a place where players go now that other than Watson have not made big splash moves.

toffee

Reaction score
First nothing stays private for long, not with a player that is of DK's personality, the Seahawks will spin it as we look at all offers for all players and what's best for the team. Even the secret top-secret stuff with Wilson was figured out on this board a while back, not admitted to by the front office however.

What I see is a lot of sitting on their hands as players till they see how things look before camp, after that more verbal things will happen if we don't see signings and upgrades. The balance of power has shifted to the AFC and there is a lot of trying to play catch up to a lot of moves right now. Denver, LV, San Diego are all making moves to catch up with KC, KC may not be done either and looking to counter the other three teams.

The rest of the league, well Cleveland and Pittsburgh are now trying to counter Cinncy, that could be a place where players go now that other than Watson have not made big splash moves.
Figured by some perhaps, but the so call "die hard" or "Cooking with Russ" clan were convinced Russ would refuse trade to Bronco or any trade as he wants to be Hawks for life.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe so, but many of those are still falling off the cliff where the rest of the people following the Pied Peter went.