Trading DK

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
Everything has a price. When the Jets start talking #10 AND next years 1st rounder…….then JS can start replying. 😁. Going into next years draft with 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders would be a nice way to get that next QB and fill in the holes we don‘t address with young talent from this years draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF a team makes a ridiculous offer, you have to consider it. And you can say that about any player on any team.

A-Dog

Reaction score
It's all about the trade compensation. For example, I'd gladly trade D.K. and say one of our 2nd rounders to the Jets for the 4th pick overall if it got us in position to draft Ekwonu.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It would take at least 2 early picks for DK "Get yo @ss out my way or get trucked" Metcalf

RiverDog

Reaction score
Raiders gave up #1 and #2 picks.

So "I'm thinking at least 2 1st round picks or 1st round and 3rd 5th round pick?"

is still reasonable.
I don't think that's going to fly. My guess would be a mid slotted #1 (Jets/Eagles/Saints) and a 2nd day pick, a #2 or #3. If it's the Packers or Chiefs, we might their #1 and a combination of lower round picks.

I'm all for trading Metcalf, have been since before the trading deadline last season when it was apparent that we weren't going anywhere. He's going to want north of $25M and with Lockett already pulling down $15M, it doesn't make sense for a run first team with no franchise QB to plop down that much money in the WR position. Trade him before the draft and get a couple of high picks to help infuse this roster with new talent and the cap flexibility to jump on free agents that might become available.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Since when is DK at the level of Hopkins, Adams, and Kupp? I'm not convinced he is even in the second tier of receivers (Williams, Godwin, Hill, Evans)

He certainly has the potential to make it into the second tier.

Unless the entire wide receiver market moves up, he should be looking at closer to 18 million per year on a 3 to 4 year contract.
The market did move up a bit, before he signed his extension, and he will be making 19.055 million per year, over the next 4 years.

As I said, big difference between an extension and a UDFA contract.

The 25 million per year talk was just ridiculous.

Rainger

Reaction score
Bye bye DK its just a matter of time now.
Haha wrong again!!! Btw for all the people screaming about the contract.This only makes him the 6th highest paid WR at only 23.

We now have him for 4 years as the prices only goes up to WR,s not as good as him.

This was a great contract.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Bye bye DK its just a matter of time now.

You're right, because it's always just a matter of time. The average career for a player in the NFL is about 3.3 years. And even Jerry Rice's exceptionally long career was 20 seasons, 16 of which were with the team that drafted him.

Of course, that's not what you meant, and if we address your actual intent, you were dead wrong. Metcalf is now signed through 2025. OK, I can see that the final year is set up in a way that both sides will have incentives to extend the contract if Metcalf has been good in the 2022, 2023, and 2024 seasons or end the relationship if he hasn't. Still, the Seahawks have Metcalf for at least three seasons.

I get the argument that a longer-term contract is a way to potentially save money, but it might not be if you look at the money as a fraction of cap space rather than in absolute dollar amounts. Yes, top WR salaries just took a big jump, and we can expect some of the best to push the ceiling further in the next few years, but the salary cap is also expected to grow a lot in the near future. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not 100% clear that Metcalf will be a top-ten receiver. In the end, I think this is a good contract in risk-management terms.

What I don't get is the gleeful "(b)ye-bye, DK. It's just a matter of time now" (I edited the text to avoid filling it with "(sic)," but I believe I kept the meaning and tone intact) in @Chawker's post. You sound like the 49ers fans who troll other Seahawks fan sites I've frequented in the past. Are you rooting against the Seahawks? Why such pleasure when you incorrectly believed the Seahawks would be losing Metcalf to another team soon?

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Too bad DK was signed to an extension. It would had been best to trade him to get max value. Teams like Bucs, Packers need WR help

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Too bad DK was signed to an extension. It would had been best to trade him to get max value. Teams like Bucs, Packers need WR help
You're just going to need to draft another receiver with whatever you get for him. It's pretty much invariably bad roster building to create holes in spots that are already firmed up with young talent.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
You're just going to need to draft another receiver with whatever you get for him. It's pretty much invariably bad roster building to create holes in spots that are already firmed up with young talent.
this!! our new rookie QB is going to need targets next season. Keeping the big guy

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The scarce item in the NFL that makes a difference is exceptional talent.

You don't trade that away unless you have to.