Trading Baker Mayfield

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Then the Browns are going to have to accept a terrible trade with whatever teams are even close to entertaining still trading for Mayfield just to get his 19M off the books. Or even give up picks to get rid of his salary.
Agreed. the Browns seem to be in denial atm.

Own The West

Reaction score

And Pete Carroll is happy with what we've got. Even if you think Baker Mayfield is the second coming of Peyton Manning, would you want to trade draft stock you want to use next year for "coming off an injury, never won anything, frequently throws his organization and team mates under the bus, going to be a UDFA next year" Peyton Manning?

I don't know if I'd want him on my practice field if he just walked on as an UDFA wanting to play for league minimum. The opportunity cost and accompanying drama is more work that he's worth.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Why give up anything when the Browns are eventually going to have to just cut Mayfield.

For the MAYBE 2-3 teams sorta interested in Baker, they're obviously just fine waiting it out because they know the Browns have to cut him to save the cap.

That's if we're even one of those 2-3 teams, which our FO hasn't given any indication they are. Nor should they. Wait it out, no reason to give up anything for Mayfield.
I didn't really mention about giving picks, well my proposal was them giving us a 2nd and 4th and we giving them a 6th.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I don’t think the salary is the problem. The Browns have the second most cap space of any team with Baker on the books. They don’t need to trade Baker. If they ate 15 mil of his salary they go up to #1 in cap space. Salary is not the problem.

The hold up is that no one is willing to trade [what the Browns think is] the equal value to Baker. There’s also likely internal politics at work too.

“We used the number 1 overall pick on this guy and we can’t get a 3rd?”

The Browns probably are willing to eat salary to increase the value of the pick, but no team is going to trade for Baker when the league knows he’s likely to be cut. And even if he wasn’t, why would they want to give up anything for Baker on a one year deal coming off injury and his worst season ever? I
Not to mention you have Jimmy G on the block too. Maybe Tannehill given some of the news out of Tennessee.

Baker is probably better than Lock/Geno. But is he 18mil and a draft pick better? No.

Latest posts