Time to get Baker

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This isn’t about OBJ. It’s about the fact that Baker Mayfield sucks. If T. Hill,D. Adams and DK Metcalf were Baker Mayfields WR in Cleveland you would say they weren’t any good. Why? Because you don’t recognize that Baker Mayfield would make any receiver look bad.
I think its pretty clear at this point that you are the one with a bias here. You don't like Mayfield and that is fine its your right. But you are definitely viewing him through a very negative prism. As for me, if we can get him at a low cost, I am open to seeing what he can do. If we don't I am fine with that too. We will get a high draft pick next year.

W

Welshers

If we're gonna compete then yeah we're going to have to go get him after this draft. I'm for it. Pete will try to win

Rosco

Reaction score
I think its pretty clear at this point that you are the one with a bias here. You don't like Mayfield and that is fine its your right. But you are definitely viewing him through a very negative prism. As for me, if we can get him at a low cost, I am open to seeing what he can do. If we don't I am fine with that too. We will get a high draft pick next year.
Point remains, Mayfield isn’t good. If he were he’d still the Browns starter

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Point remains, Mayfield isn’t good. If he were he’d still the Browns starter
He would be if the Browns didn't want the chance at Watson who is an elite talent. I am not saying Mayfiled is elite at all but he is definitely better than what we currently have on our roster.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I fully support taking a stab at Baker. He seems like the exact player who thrives when he has something to prove. The guy was a walk-on at Texas Tech who started his freshman year because of an injury. In his first game in college he threw 4 tds, 413 yards and went 43-60 passing. That's just insane but when the guy had something he had to prove, he elevated his game. Then he went to the school he dreamed about playing at, Oklahoma, and was out of this world.

Then the first year in Cleveland, the whole city but even Baker all hated Hue Jackson, who rightfully was an idiot and was fully on display for the world in Hard Knocks, but once he was out, he had something to prove, and Cleveland was decent, he went 7-7 that season.

The problem for Baker is that when the expectations seem to elevate is when he fails to live to the hype, which leads to people hating him. Once Cleveland started looking half decent, the following year people were calling them Super Bowl contenders, and that's what I think was the problem. They had made the temporary head coach the full time coach, and that only contributed to the expectations rise. Then in 2020 once the chips were down again for the Browns & Baker is when he did pretty good for what the Browns asked of him they went 11-5, on a heavy run based team. They made Baker escalate his play in spots, and didn't ask him to be a heavy usage QB. But this last year, expectations rose again, also he played through his own injury, plus the team had tons of injuries too so things didn't go so well and they swapped him out for a sex offender instead.

So, just based on history, we should want Baker, who is now universally hated because this is when he thrives. I know its counter intuitive, but we get a pissed off Baker who wants to come in & prove the world wrong. Who wouldn't want that? He's going to be a free agent anyways, and if everyone is so high on next year's QBs in the draft, then why shouldn't we Let Mayfield Bake for a year?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
With a decent qb this O has a lot of talent to move the chains. I think you would be surprised on what the team can do wit a guy like Baker.

Is there a team out there that doesn't have a lot of talent at offensive skill positions? Baker wouldn't put us ahead of any team in our division offensively save SF. Last thing we need is another 7-10 season. We need a 5-12 season to draft a franchise guy. I'd hate every second of it, but it's really hard otherwise to get a guy you want without draft capital.
OF course I'd be happy to go 7-10 with Baker and then have the Donkeys drop a 5-12 season on their fans.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Baker, Geno, Lock ..... just guys. You live with them for a transitional season, much like you did with Jackson and Whitehurst. Not really worth concerning ourselves with imo. Ultimately, it isn't about them or the 2022 season; and I am so glad that the Hawks didn't use a pick on any of the underwhelming QBs available in this draft.

With two 1's and two 2's in the 2023 draft that will be the time to be aggressive at the QB spot in a significantly better QB draft. Stroud, Young, Richardson, Levis are all much better prospects than anyone available this draft. Legitimate first rounders.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
There is absolutely zero upside to getting Baker, absolutely none.

He's a toxic, immature and erratic QB who's also coming off an injury, hard ******* pass

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
That may be true that Lock has the players respect and Mayfield doesn't. I really don't know and neither do you. Its just speculation. Regardless, Mayfield has been much better than Lock on the field. Which is what matters most. Maybe Mayfield learns from this I don't know. Also the Browns did not have a great WR room. They had a good line and a good run game. Their D was middling at best.

Agreed on the WR, Browns had great RBs but not great receivers.

Baker definitely needs the personnel around him to thrive, good thing Seattle has that.

Baker's teammates in Oklahoma when the Sooners were a top 5 program for 3 years and Baker was slinging 40 tds a season were Joe Mixon, Mark Andrews, Samaje Perine, Dede Westbrook, Sterling Shepard, CeeDee Lamb, and Hollywood Brown.

There are the QBs like Brees, Manning or Brady, who are able to stars out of random skill players, for whatever reason. So many WR/TE/RB who played with those 3 were no good anywhere else before or after playing with hall of famers. But then there are QBs like Big Ben or Tony Romo who have more volatility in their careers depending on the players around them. When Romo's teammates were having their best years, like Witten, TO, Miles Austin, Demarco Murray, etc. Romo was also really good. Same with Big Ben, I think why they constantly drafted receivers for such a long time in Pittsburgh was to always have a flow of receivers who when one started going on the downslope of their career, the next guy would be on the upswing, all to help get the most out of Big Ben. So clearly Baker is more in that camp of QBs who can really do well if the skill players are also really good, because he played with ridiculous talent in college.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Agreed on the WR, Browns had great RBs but not great receivers.

Baker definitely needs the personnel around him to thrive, good thing Seattle has that.

Baker's teammates in Oklahoma when the Sooners were a top 5 program for 3 years and Baker was slinging 40 tds a season were Joe Mixon, Mark Andrews, Samaje Perine, Dede Westbrook, Sterling Shepard, CeeDee Lamb, and Hollywood Brown.

There are the QBs like Brees, Manning or Brady, who are able to stars out of random skill players, for whatever reason. So many WR/TE/RB who played with those 3 were no good anywhere else before or after playing with hall of famers. But then there are QBs like Big Ben or Tony Romo who have more volatility in their careers depending on the players around them. When Romo's teammates were having their best years, like Witten, TO, Miles Austin, Demarco Murray, etc. Romo was also really good. Same with Big Ben, I think why they constantly drafted receivers for such a long time in Pittsburgh was to always have a flow of receivers who when one started going on the downslope of their career, the next guy would be on the upswing, all to help get the most out of Big Ben. So clearly Baker is more in that camp of QBs who can really do well if the skill players are also really good, because he played with ridiculous talent in college.

He played with some damn good skill players in Cleveland with a good O-Line, Defense and Coaching staff and he fell off. He makes no one better and he's not remotely a leader in any way.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Is there a team out there that doesn't have a lot of talent at offensive skill positions? Baker wouldn't put us ahead of any team in our division offensively save SF. Last thing we need is another 7-10 season. We need a 5-12 season to draft a franchise guy. I'd hate every second of it, but it's really hard otherwise to get a guy you want without draft capital.
OF course I'd be happy to go 7-10 with Baker and then have the Donkeys drop a 5-12 season on their fans.

No we don't, we need to have a culture of desiring to win, guys who want to win. The reason we won the super bowl was because Russ came into a really good situation with a team full of competitors who were not going to accept 5-12 seasons. The league is littered with former 1st round QBs drafted very high who also weren't viewed as overreaches.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
He played with some damn good skill players in Cleveland with a good O-Line, Defense and Coaching staff and he fell off. He makes no one better and he's not remotely a leader in any way.

Lol what are you talking about, he had 4 different head coaches in 4 years, but right, they were elite head coaches.

Browns went 11-5 one of those years, which was by the way, the best season for the post-1999 Browns by a substantial margin. Plus this is in an organization renown for its mismanagement in a post-industrial city who embraces misery as a badge of honor. I'm sure so many QBs would have exceeded Baker's performance.

You ought to check out the Wikipedia page devoted to all the starting QBs the Browns have cycled through. That is a toxic franchise no matter how you slice it. Give Baker a more stable franchise & coaching staff, plus in a much better city, far less volatile situation overall, why couldn't the guy thrive? He proved it in college.

John63

Reaction score
LOl Baker yeah let's go get an avg to below avg Qb who is a head case.Let me help Baker

Career
61% complt, 1.6 td/int, 87 passer rating. really?

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Lol what are you talking about, he had 4 different head coaches in 4 years, but right, they were elite head coaches.

Browns went 11-5 one of those years, which was by the way, the best season for the post-1999 Browns by a substantial margin. Plus this is in an organization renown for its mismanagement in a post-industrial city who embraces misery as a badge of honor. I'm sure so many QBs would have exceeded Baker's performance.

You ought to check out the Wikipedia page devoted to all the starting QBs the Browns have cycled through. That is a toxic franchise no matter how you slice it. Give Baker a more stable franchise & coaching staff, plus in a much better city, far less volatile situation overall, why couldn't the guy thrive? He proved it in college.

I'll trust his teammates in Cleveland who have all said Baker is immature and toxic, he's trash and he needs to stay far away from Seattle.

Rat

Reaction score
I must be horribly misinformed on Baker. People talk like he's Antonio Brown... could someone link me to these incidents of him being "toxic" and losing the locker room?

He just seems like a passionate guy to me. He had a great rookie season, kinda so-so in year 2 with a head coach that was in WAY over his head. Year 3, they made the playoffs for the first time in forever and destroyed their rival in the first round. It seemed like everyone thought his development was at least appropriate before a difficult last season where he played hurt.

He would cost next to nothing and has, at the very least, looked much more like a competent quarterback than Lock. I don't see why we wouldn't benefit from him and Lock battling it out in a legitimate competition. I really don't get the impression that there's a deliberate plan to "tank" this upcoming season. The defense is at least league averageish, we have great targets in the passing game, we made an effort to upgrade both the OL and running game in the draft. This doesn't scream 3-14 record to me.

GemCity

Reaction score
Can want all day. I doubt it happens.

That makes me happy.

No Baker please.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I must be horribly misinformed on Baker. People talk like he's Antonio Brown... could someone link me to these incidents of him being "toxic" and losing the locker room?

He just seems like a passionate guy to me. He had a great rookie season, kinda so-so in year 2 with a head coach that was in WAY over his head. Year 3, they made the playoffs for the first time in forever and destroyed their rival in the first round. It seemed like everyone thought his development was at least appropriate before a difficult last season where he played hurt.

He would cost next to nothing and has, at the very least, looked much more like a competent quarterback than Lock. I don't see why we wouldn't benefit from him and Lock battling it out in a legitimate competition. I really don't get the impression that there's a deliberate plan to "tank" this upcoming season. The defense is at least league averageish, we have great targets in the passing game, we made an effort to upgrade both the OL and running game in the draft. This doesn't scream 3-14 record to me.
This is a very reasonable take. For me it's all about the cost. If we can get him in here to compete in the QB competition at a good price, we'd actually be foolish not to.

Latest posts